SASS Wire Forum

"Looking down the barrels" of guns on your cart

4 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Hopefully will agree that there is a risk difference between a cased gun in a vehicle, and a free gun rattling around in the rack of a cart. 

Putting a gun into a case muzzle down isn't really that difficult, after you develop the habit of doing it that way.  I guess I am used to shooting where there are separator berms.  Taking a down-pointing gun from a cart and carrying it that way until you reach the LT, then raising it pointing at the berm, or downrange doesn't seem impossible.  Same re the ULT to cart leg of a stage.  

I think it is quite doable.  

Actually I'd be more worried about a cased gun in the car with the action CLOSED than I would be with a gun rattling around in a cart with the action OPEN.

6 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Hopefully will agree that there is a risk difference between a cased gun in a vehicle, and a free gun rattling around in the rack of a cart. 

Putting a gun into a case muzzle down isn't really that difficult, after you develop the habit of doing it that way.  I guess I am used to shooting where there are separator berms.  Taking a down-pointing gun from a cart and carrying it that way until you reach the LT, then raising it pointing at the berm, or downrange doesn't seem impossible.  Same re the ULT to cart leg of a stage.  

I think it is quite doable.  

Educate me, what is the risk difference between a cased gun, action closed in a vehicle and an uncased gun, action open and secured in a gun cart? Not rattling around, as very few cowboys allow their guns to rattle around in their carts.  

My guns, open and empty in my cart, just sitting there... not dangerous. I don't worry about it at all.

Someone else's guns sitting in their cart, actions open and no one screwing with 'em? Same feeling. No worries.

Joe Bob Moron at the local gun store counter blathering on about how much he knows while waving a firearm around while "shopping?" I leave the area rapidly.

54 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Educate me, what is the risk difference between a cased gun, action closed in a vehicle and an uncased gun, action open and secured in a gun cart? Not rattling around, as very few cowboys allow their guns to rattle around in their carts.  

Your mind seems pretty much made up, so I don't think anything I could say is likely to convince you.  So rather than another long rhetorical engagement and exchange here, how about if I just drop off. 

I will say I've seen guns fall over in carts, and I've seen a couple carts tipped over.  All but a "few" doing it properly leaves the few who do not.  

That's it for me on this one.  I've said what I have to say. 

Have a good evening.   Hope you get many more years of CAS enjoyment.  93 is a very low number.  I'm duly impressed

On 3/29/2020 at 3:25 PM, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Somebody mentioned Skeet.   I can't comment on that, but I can say that prior to CAS, the only organized shooting I had ever done was Trap.   And in that context, muzzle down is the rule.  So when I started this game, I have to admit that it was something of a surprise to me that muzzle up was the rule.  Maybe that's where some of the misgivings come from.   I can't be the only one who initially learned that the rule was muzzle down when moving to and from the firing line.   I sometime wonder what will happen when I go shoot a round of trap again someday and walk around muzzle up.   

How do other three gun sports handle the muzzle direction rule?  I know in Zoot that it's muzzle up, but that's the only other one I've done.

HK,

I work at a county trap/skeet range as a range master.   Our range rules dictate that any semi auto or pump shotgun be carried action open and empty and muzzle pointed up at all times except when shooting.   I'm responsible for compliance.  I can't tell you how many times I've been covered/swiped by a barrel.

Buckeye Pete

Off hand, I can't think of anyone that likes a having a gun pointed at them, even if they know for sure that it is unloaded. My guns in my cart has I'm pushing it? No problem. I can't think of one time in 200 matches that I've seen a long gun leave the ULT with anything in them. Pistols at the LT, yep

Gun shows used to make me nervous too.  I still feel uncomfortable when I go behind a table at a gun show or pass by one that has the barrels pointed out. 

It's the first rule of gun safety (as I learned them).  Always treat all guns as if they are loaded.  Doesn't matter that you just checked it yourownself (which you do every time you handle a firearm).  That's not an exception to rule #1.  I wonder what percentage of accidental discharges were with guns that the shooter thought was unloaded.  Dunno how you'd compile that stat but I bet it's well over half. 

14 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

Doesn't matter that you just checked it yourownself (which you do every time you handle a firearm).

And therein is the solution to 99% of gunshot accidents.

38 minutes ago, Yusta B. said:

And therein is the solution to 99% of gunshot accidents.

Yep.

Think we should go back to the use of Little Red Wagons where anyone behind the wagon, if muzzles to rear....which you do not know if cased, could have a muzzle pointing at them?  O'dem early years.   

Truth is, I really don't try to look down any muzzle  mine or someone else's unless serious need.

my cart tilts back and i can look down all but my sxs bbls.  since they’re empty, i don’t give it a moment’s notice.

read on another forum that some gun owners think looking down a barrel alone (as in one that’s been removed from the rest of the firearm) is dangerous.  

maybe CAS is actually not for everyone

On 3/30/2020 at 5:22 PM, Griff said:

No offense to the OP, but... this was a pointless topic... IMO.  :rolleyes:

None taken...

My father taught me at age six or seven: a gun is always loaded; never point a gun a something you do not intend to destroy.  My hunter safety teacher taught me the same thing.  The Army taught me the same thing.  My CCW instructor said it.

After more than 60 years of the same message it’s a little hard to get comfortable with the idea that an empty firearm is always, irrevocably, 100 percent guaranteed, empty.  99.97% may not be good enough.

emty and open has never concerned me much , closed leaves a little to wonder at , our venue is strict on load and unload and ive never feared anyones gun cart with open guns , there is nothing to fear till a human touches it , the guns do not operate themselves , we so often act like its not the human in charge that is the culprit , i do not .......mine are empty and open , 

On 3/30/2020 at 8:22 PM, Ace_of_Hearts said:

Never point a gun (of any kind) at something you don't want to destroy!

Why did you have to post this? I have no idea what is wrong with me, but I can't seem to stop watching it and cracking up every time.

Archived