SASS Wire Forum

Peep sights for a Sharps?

Charlie Harley, #14153

I have two Sharps, a 45-110 and a 38-55.  My eyes are becoming such that the buckhorns and blades are getting a little fuzzy.

What are folks’ recommendations for front and rear peep sights?

I don’t ever see shooting beyond 200 yards any more.  

How hard are is it to slide out the front sight and install a peep?

I appreciate any insight y’all can offer.

(added question...  Would the MVA #130 have enough elevation to reach 200 yards?)

https://montanavintagearms.com/product/130-vernier-tang-sight/

I like Kelley sights.  Kinda spendy.  MVA are also excellent.  Get a "Magnum" sized Hadley Eye Cup.  it will help.  

front sights pretty easy  use a brass punch, or a Wyoming Sight Drifter.  Some are held in place by a tiny set screw, but most are just a dovetail.  if the dovetal is too tight, file it, not the gun barrel.  usually just rubbing the bottom of the sigt on a file will do the trick.  if loose, put a dab of locktight on it. 

Depending on the model rifle, the upper tang may have locator screw holes that will accept sight bases from various companies.  They tend to be on the pricey side, but work pretty well.  I had a tang sight on a Pedersoli Sharps (purchased from Pedersoli)that worked pretty well.  Front sight (also from Pedersoli) came with inserts that could be changed out.  Whatever rear sight you use, will probably require a new front sight as well.  Kelley, MVA, Pedersoli, Shiloh are all recognized names.   There are also, the Malcolm telescope sights that can be fitted to a Sharps type rifle.  They require the use of specific bases which hold the scope. 

The Marbles option is inexpensive and effective, helped my old eyesight, elevation and windage adjustable, easy enough to drift out the old front blade and install a hooded sight.

GFnZTVk.jpg

Mine pictured above also came with a stock tang sight, in my case it looked the part but mine was junk, I don't know if that was quality control issues or issues during shipping but it was good for a fishing sinker only. The Marbles comes with 3 apertures in short range 25-200ish yards, Mid Range and Long Range posts and you can always buy and switch the posts to the base mount, under $90 for the base mount with the short range post and the base mount screws which are sold separately.

You know the old adage you get what you pay for?  Not the case with the Marbles, it rocks. Despite the low investment compared to the awesome high dollar options from MVA and others.

38 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Wade, I have to ask, where'd you get the chamber flag?

Amazon or eBay, only eBay has them in stock I believe. Keychain style I attached to regular chamber flags.  Search Rotary13B1 Remove Before Pew Pew

A few years ago during a eye exam I said that I was having a problem seeing sights on pistols.

Said that he could fix that. 

He makes glasses for police officers all the time.

The prescription for reading and distance were split in half.

I can read the scenarios then look up and see at a distance, with no problem.

Sights on pistols and rifle stand out now.

Hope this helps. 

On 3/29/2020 at 7:17 AM, Hoss said:

I like Kelley sights.  Kinda spendy.  MVA are also excellent.  Get a "Magnum" sized Hadley Eye Cup.  it will help.  

front sights pretty easy  use a brass punch, or a Wyoming Sight Drifter.  Some are held in place by a tiny set screw, but most are just a dovetail.  if the dovetal is too tight, file it, not the gun barrel.  usually just rubbing the bottom of the sigt on a file will do the trick.  if loose, put a dab of locktight on it. 

The one issue most prevalent with the larger magnum Hadley is it may well interfere with say 100-200 yard settings.

OLG 

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

The one issue most prevalent with the larger magnum Hadley is it may well interfere with say 100-200 yard settings.

OLG 

Has not been a problem on my Sharps. 

Archived