SASS Wire Forum

Marlin 1894 csbl in .357

You might call Suttie (pm for his number, he shoots at Wartrace)

We were talking about something unrelated the other day and he mentioned modifying springs so they'll collapse into themselves. I think his wife shoots a real short rifle that'll hold 10, but it may be a 1866.

Just purchased a Marlin 1894c yesterday with an 18 1/2 in barrel

It will hold 10  38 spcl or 9   357 shells.

After about 200 lever strokes and some One Shot in the action it is starting to be a fairly smooth action.

Dr. O. R. Vet

Marlin says it will hold 8 .357 so I would sue think if you played with the spring & follower it would hold 10 38's because ours tend to be shorter than even standard 38. How it will cycle the short loads may have to be tweaked. 

Uberti makes a 73 trapper that is 16 inches, It is listed to hold 10 38's. The mag spring for it is one that collapses into itself IIRC. Might see if that would work for you. Didn't see them listed at VTI, but Taylor's does list. Might give them a call and see what they say. 

If it feeds smooth now, it may run with .38 LC. I have 2 Marlins that will feed .38 LC also. I've also loaded the magazine with a mix of .357, .38 Sp., and .38 LC with no problems.

RRR

Although it ain't .38 special, I have a 16.25" .45 Colt Marlin.

At OAL of 1.6+, it will hold 8.

Depending upon your OAL, its possible that you can get 10 rounds in the Tube, but it may take

a couple variables to accomplish your goal.

1. with apporpriate timing for shorter ammo, it should feed even wadcutters.   And as mentioned above,

it could also feed .38 long.

2.  your mag tube spring only needs to be long enough (strong enough) to feed only 1 round... which will be

the last round reliably.

3. If need be, your mag tube follower and end cap can be modified also to allow more space in the tube.

..........Widder

Archived