SASS Wire Forum

PRVC's Virtual Cowboy Shooting

Roger Rapid

Realizing that we’re all on a temporary hiatus from Cowboy Action Shooting™, we wanted to help you maintain your proficiency in the absence of being at the range. Welcome to PRVC’s Virtual Cowboy Shooting - a chance for you to practice and maintain your shooting and transition skills with the help of your computer while at home.

PRVC’s Virtual Cowboy features a set of virtual scenarios and a PRVC Virtual Cowboy Shot Timer (YouTube video) that runs on your computer. Each week we’ll be adding "virtual" scenarios for you to download and print. Then, all you have to do is say your line, click on the spacebar to tell the TO you are ready to start, wait fo the beep, and virtually fire away. At the end, you can record your time and reshoot if you like. And, to make it even better, you’ll always be FIRST and CLEAN because you're the only one to count the MISS's and call any P’s!!  :D

Timer grab SASS.jpg

Better yet, it's for our Pards, and it's free!!!  Want to try it?  Simply click HERE to go to our website and then click on the Virtual Cowboy Shooting tab.

Thanks for shooting with us…

PRVC Deputies: Bushy Blonco, Dust ’N Bottles, Roger Rapid, Sidewinder Bill
Pozo River Vigilance Committee at Lazy Arrow
Santa Margarita, California

PS: If you have trouble with the link, go to: www.PRVCatLazyArrow.com

So I shot all four scenarios last night.

This virtual stuff is harder than I thought. 

There were two prop failures, the TO nearly tripped me, and the peanut gallery made me so nervous I jacked three rounds!!!

I had eight misses (lyin’, cheatin’ spotters!), two Ps, and an SDQ!!!!

This is gonna take some practice!

Marshal Chance Morgun...

If they were High-tops, they're allowed on our Virtual Range, unless of course they had logos on them. But eye and ear protection is absolutely optional, and the rifle can be last!!!!

I envision a whole new SHB for our Virtual Range...

:D

But I do hope you try to shoot some of our scenarios!

RR

We now have 24 Virtual Scenarios ready for you to practice with. You can go directly to our Virtual Cowboy Shooting page to test our Virtual Timer and view the 24 scenarios by clicking HERE.

RR

I'm liking it. It has become apparent that I suck at virtual shooting on par with my actual stage shooting. 

This is a great resource for those of us stuck at home.

Just for clarification, the idea of virtual shooting is really no different than folks standing at the loading table and - without guns in hand - practicing or “ghosting” - going through the motions and transitions and thinking through each step of the scenario as if you were shooting it. That’s really what we hoped to provide here; the scenarios to shoot (and we’ve provided 24 of them), in addition to a timer that you can measure your results with. 

Ideally, you’d read the scenario and study the targets, just as if you were listening to the TO read the scenario as you were looking at the real targets. Then, launch the timer and stop it at the first message block where is says to STOP. Then, put your fingers over the space bar, either close your eyes or look at the targets on the scenario, say your line, click the space bar, wait for the TO’s “STANDBY” message and beep, and then really focus on shooting the stage, going through your gun handling transitions, drawing pistols and re-holstering, envisioning moving from position to position, and then press the space bar at the end to stop the timer and read your time.

When I do it, I try to think of all my moves realtime so that my time is somewhat accurate, hard as that is to do. 

Hope you shoot it fast and CLEAN !!

RR

• 2 weeks later...

Since all the matches are now cancelled or on hold I decided to shoot an "Annual" at my temporary "range" (aka garage).  Set up two tables with computer at the end set to the Virtual Timer and next to my shotgun.  Picked and printed 12 stages from the PRVC site and set to shooting....clicked the start moved over to position 1 and when the timer beeped - shot the pistols, moved to rifle and finally to shotgun then quickly hit the space bar to stop the timer.  Results:  

The good - Shot all stages clean, average 18.5 seconds, I won my category (gunfighter), fastest on each stage, came in first overall! :D What a confidence booster!:rolleyes:  Not to mention my wife was happy to get me out of the house!

The bad - Couldn't tell those pesky spotters why they were blind and missed the edge hits :excl: (I usually do for some strange reason), missed my fellow shooters, pot-lucks, score reading, the "shot that got away" tall tales and the great outdoors.

The ugly - My grumpiness being locked in my garage and all those darn holes I need to patch on the garage door (coulda sworn they were all snap-caps)!

Go ahead & give it a try...good mental practice!  Thanks to Roger Rapid on putting this together!

Sidewinder Bill

Sidewinder Bill..

Glad you shot your virtual Annual match and came in First Place Gunfighter!! Good job! Curious if you got a virtual buckle or just a virtual pendant? Sorry about the virtual holes in your virtual garage door, but here's some virtual tape to cover up the virtual holes!

:o

RR

Tape.jpg

Archived