SASS Wire Forum

BUCKAROO 12ga load.

TUCO SASS #46748

I'm using a RCBS Grand right now powder bushing 366 dropping 11.5 grs of Red Dot with 1 oz of shot. Anybody know what bushing to use to get 9.5 or 10.5 grs using Red Dot.

Thanks 

TUCO

acardenas32755@gmail.com

I used a MEC #15 with Promo. Worked great with 7.8 oz -- *IF* it wasn't too cold.  (about 9.2 gr)

Or Use your scale to measure RCBS bushings.

14 hours ago, TUCO SASS #46748 said:

I'm using a RCBS Grand right now powder bushing 366 dropping 11.5 grs of Red Dot with 1 oz of shot. Anybody know what bushing to use to get 9.5 or 10.5 grs using Red Dot.

Thanks 

TUCO

acardenas32755@gmail.com

The chart in the online manual indicates there are only two smaller than your "366". Part #89111, bushing #354 looks to be the smallest. I would try that one.

I note that Alliant's lightest Red Dot load (7/8 @1200 fps, STS, W209) is 16.5 gr, so you are doing something curious here. 

If you find you are unable to develop an acceptable load using smokeless powder, you should be able to make some very low recoil loads with black powder.  Black powder and the substitutes can be a little more forgiving when using small powder charges.  Going too low with smokeless powder charges can cause problems. 

Yes it's dirty and requires thorough gun cleaning afterwards, but in addition to the reduced recoil the Buckaroo gets some style points!  :D

Let us know if you decide to experiment with BP and subs.

Nice low recoil load I got from Clay Buster Wads 

Remington STS, Nitro, or Gun Club Hull

Winchester 209 primer

Claybuster CB0175-12 wad

3/4 ounce of shot

13 grains of 700X

MV is a little less than 1000 fps

Less recoil than AA LNLR 

Will still knock down any shotgun target I have come across.

BTW you can put a sleeve cut from a piece of thin plastic to reduce the charge weight of any fixed charge bar. Attach it to the inside of the bar with contact cement. That way it can be removed. 

On 3/28/2020 at 8:43 PM, TUCO SASS #46748 said:

Thanks 

TUCO

acardenas32755@gmail.com

Tuco, try Unique leaving everything else the same. Not as snappy as Red Dot. 

Most "OLD" folks that have had heart problems and have had pacemakers installed have to opt for a very low recoil load in their shotguns.

Also without exception they gravitate to Clays powder and 3/4 oz loads.

how easily can you change your throws of shot?  I’ve had more success getting light recoil  loads with  7/8 ounces of shot.

Just food for thought since you have it worked out, but when I was trying to get my buckarette daughter Cowgirl Casey to start shooting a shotgun I worked some ridiculously light loads up. I went to a Mec 1/2 oz bar (less shot will really help with the recoil) and ended up using red dot powder and a Mec #18 powder bushing. What really surprised me is how effective the rounds are. She rarely ever leaves a knockdown standing. And the super light load conquered her fear of the shotgun.

2 hours ago, Barkeep Casey said:

Just food for thought since you have it worked out, but when I was trying to get my buckarette daughter Cowgirl Casey to start shooting a shotgun I worked some ridiculously light loads up. I went to a Mec 1/2 oz bar (less shot will really help with the recoil) and ended up using red dot powder and a Mec #18 powder bushing. What really surprised me is how effective the rounds are. She rarely ever leaves a knockdown standing. And the super light load conquered her fear of the shotgun.

Both Red Dot & Promo seem to work well at low charges.

Archived