SASS Wire Forum

Feelin' shaggy... UPDATE!

Was needin' a haircut two weeks ago.  Put it off too long, and now that barbershops are shuttered for the duration I'm startin' to feel like Cousin Itt... and there's no relief in sight.  :(

Anyone ever used a Flowbee??   :huh:

So... Flowbees are not to be found, everyone was out of clippers, but I ordered an off-brand set from Amazon.  Took almost four weeks to get here.

After a fortifyin' libation or two, I charged it up, supplemented it with my kitchen shears, and using the old rear-view mirror from my Dodge Ram I went at it.  

Before                                                                                                                                After

Inline image               Inline image

I'm pretty sure I've paid for worse... but the best part is, my hats fit again~!!   cowboy.gif

23 minutes ago, Texas Lizard said:

For all of you who have had a hair cut in good long time...Months or years....Did you have anything to cut then??? Maybe like you send out the rug for cleaning....

Texas Lizard

Not much.

!joe vested 2 hair.jpg

:ph34r:  Get the $25 Wahl kit from Walmart and a hand-held mirror and you can do it yourself very nicely.  I just bought my 3rd one in 55 years (last one broke pieces from outer casing when it fell from shelf during our earthquake last July, and finally became unreliable).   The haircut $$ I've saved has funded some of my gun hobby.....  :D

No vacuum needed.

56 minutes ago, Texas Lizard said:

For all of you who have had a hair cut in good long time...Months or years....Did you have anything to cut then??? Maybe like you send out the rug for cleaning....

Texas Lizard

Got my last regulation Navy haircut a few days before my retirement ceremony.  Toughest part was getting it past my ears. Braided it comes to about the top of the hip pocket of my jeans. Unbraided it is even longer.

Well boys I got ya on this one,  my wife has a Solon here at home that I built for her when we bought the house 9 years ago.  Just got a hot shave and a hair trim, not much just a little to off the sides, trim the mustache and goatee,  sure feels good when the hot towel hits is on your face. Oh ya and don't forget the lilac water.

I am in the same boat Hardpan. Needed a haircut last month but put it off. I think my hair is actually growing faster than normal. I have decided that until the lady that cuts my hair can open her shop I will just sheep dog it. 

6 hours ago, Texas Lizard said:

Texas Lizard

Yup mine is thick and full and wavy. Reaches to center of my back. The brown can still be seen amongst the grey.

When it touches my ears it has to be cut.  

The hole in the top keeps sliding down. I'm afraid if I let the hole slide much more I'll lose my eye brows.

I used to cut my own hair, a little thin on top but lots elsewhere. Ten years ago I switched to a barber he's a friend and gun aficionado . I guess I'll have to go back to cutting it myself. It's a real pain in the neck, LITERALLY sometimes!:lol: 

8 hours ago, Major General Shagnasty said:

Well boys I got ya on this one,  my wife has a Solon here at home that I built for her when we bought the house 9 years ago.  Just got a hot shave and a hair trim, not much just a little to off the sides, trim the mustache and goatee,  sure feels good when the hot towel hits is on your face. Oh ya and don't forget the lilac water.

Straight razor?  Back about 1988 or so I found a barber who did those. Treated myself to one.  Fantastic.  Only time I ever had a professional shave me, but I thought it was something I should have at least once.

18 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Was needin' a haircut two weeks ago.  Put it off too long, and now that barbershops are shuttered for the duration I'm startin' to feel like Cousin Itt... and there's no relief in sight.  :(

Anyone ever used a Flowbee??   :huh:

I'll give you a hair cut hardpan , anything for a friend :lol:

:ph34r:  I began 'freelancing' in 1961.  Had a few professional episodes along the way, maybe half dozen, just to set a shape to follow.  At one point I tallied up the savings.

Haircuts varied from $2.25 to $15.

A "Flowbee" sounded like some kind of sexual aid....

On 3/29/2020 at 12:45 PM, Bad Bascomb, SASS # 47,494 said:

:ph34r:  I began 'freelancing' in 1961.  Had a few professional episodes along the way, maybe half dozen, just to set a shape to follow.  At one point I tallied up the savings.

Haircuts varied from $2.25 to $15.

A "Flowbee" sounded like some kind of sexual aid....

Well... might enhance one's chances... but then again, just might have the opposite effect!  ^_^

I got tired of hearing about my shaggy appearance and my wife dug these out of a closet so I gave myself a haircut. Actually it started out as a beard trim and after screwing up trimming the hair above my ears I pretty much went all in. The Flowbee cut didn’t last long enough anyway.

A837968D-EDD7-40A0-9800-B1E9B17FE667.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

I got tired of hearing about my shaggy appearance and my wife dug these out of a closet so I gave myself a haircut. Actually it started out as a beard trim and after screwing up trimming the hair above my ears I pretty much went all in. The Flowbee cut didn’t last long enough anyway.

A837968D-EDD7-40A0-9800-B1E9B17FE667.jpeg

Guess you going to need a new hat....One that fits....

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

I know just enough about cuttin' hair to be dangerous.

The fur on my ears is grown out long enough to have a distinct catlike appearance.

I'll risk trimming that off.

I'll shave the rest of my face, all but the mustache, and that's absolutely the extent of my tonsorial aspirations!

Archived