SASS Wire Forum

My Latest Gun Cart Build

Yul Lose

This gun cart is one that I built for the LOCAS raffle winner for last year, I’ll bet you can’t guess her alias:D. It’s taken me quite a bit longer on this one because of wrecking my truck and having it in the shop for 6 weeks and then my daughters illness and lots of trips to Az. Anyway it’s finished. The cart winner wanted a custom rustic finish but the guy they wanted to do the finish isn’t doing it anymore so her and her husband, Stubby Pete finished it themselves. It’s built out of rustic alder and through dovetails, sliding dovetails and mortise and tennon joinery were used for joinery. 

I did a few extras like the ammo bag holder in the bottom of the chest that holds 8 canvas loading bags standing on end, 4 in each compartment and then a spent brass bin for .45 Colt and one for.32. The top tray will hold two boxes of Sg shells and then other match essentials. The other top tray will hold glasses, ear plugs and other match needs and I also included a slot that her cell phone can ride in. I built one side of this tray with a sub tray that lifts out and there is more storage area underneath it. You’ll notice the brass pipe up above the barrel bracket and that is for her SG chamber brush. The twin cup holder is larger than normal to accommodate her insulated coffee cup and hand wipes to keep the lead off.

Double Diamond did all of the leatherwork. The roses on the chest medallion are embossed and carved and stand out 1/2” or more, it’s hard to tell in the pictures. He worked closely with the cart winner and I think he really did an excellent job. 

The handles have 40-65 brass mounted so that she can hang her empty hull bag from one peg and a jacket or something from the other. This cart is really light weight and breaks down very easily and she’ll be carrying it in her Ford Edge.

6CD57655-4F19-46A1-B7A8-D58B982F4CE9.jpeg

17F0E066-1A2D-4B8C-A84E-2285FB9C2D02.jpeg

AC13B60B-EAD6-433B-BAD6-58F3B47FBC42.jpeg

4556BA71-ABFD-4465-A887-923A351EEB09.jpeg

F32A77A5-F699-4EB8-83AC-5F67C7DB71C3.jpeg

DE723C88-D370-4E64-B1A9-AEABFA44B704.jpeg

F24A9F82-12AB-4802-8B2B-A1E9AF38E444.jpeg

188038EF-F01E-4B1E-BEBC-360202CE4DBF.jpeg

39650232-E4F0-4ABD-B1AB-6372557453A3.jpeg

A7DB4CE3-E7C7-4AE5-854C-235A4902E77D.jpeg

71C79AA5-EADE-49B8-9BE0-8DAAFC179320.jpeg

313B91AA-03F8-4729-919E-CC263E3D659C.jpeg

Yul...

Your work is extremely beautiful and incredibly well crafted. I have a few friends with your carts and they are splendid pieces of art. My hat's off you!!!
RR

21 minutes ago, JP McLintock said:

Almost to nice to take outside. :)

There’s a couple of them that have never been to a match but most people that have them like using them.

Thanks for the compliments everyone.

1 hour ago, Yul Lose said:

There’s a couple of them that have never been to a match but most people that have them like using them.

Thanks for the compliments everyone.

Thank YOU for sharing the pics.  It's good to know that in this world full of cheap junk, somebody still knows what constitutes good workmanship and quality.  Very, very nice.  

4 minutes ago, Marshal Chance Morgun said:

Yul, have you ever thought about making a video of you at work? I'd watch.

Thanks, I’ve tried with a GoPro but editing the videos just get me flustered. When I was in the communications business I was fairly tech savvy but anymore not so much. A couple of techy relatives have tried to help me out but they go through things so fast that it makes my head spin.

5 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

It is gorgeous! Lucky AA!

She’s picking it up this morning.

2 hours ago, Hendo said:

Be sure to post happy camper pics.

(With responsible social distancing, of course. :P)

She was a bit camera shy and rather I take the picture when she’s dressed up at a match. She did give me a very nice tip and a bottle of my favorite scotch.

4 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

Thanks, I’ve tried with a GoPro but editing the videos just get me flustered. When I was in the communications business I was fairly tech savvy but anymore not so much. A couple of techy relatives have tried to help me out but they go through things so fast that it makes my head spin.

So then, you agree with Dirty Harry that,  " a man's got to know his limitations?"

7 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

Don't you have a ten-year-old neighbor kid that can just do the videography for you.  All of them seem to be tech savvy and up-to-date, right up to the last 12 hours. 

1 hour ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Don't you have a ten-year-old neighbor kid that can just do the videography for you.  All of them seem to be tech savvy and up-to-date, right up to the last 12 hours. 

None of my neighbor kids understand my Spanglish so it’s hard to communicate with them.

A truly fine piece of work.  I always enjoy seeing pictures of your craftsmanship. 

Once again, Beautiful work Yule!!!

Jax T

Archived