SASS Wire Forum

Gun cart ammo bags

Renegade Roper

Does anyone know who makes these gun cart ammo bags and where I can get them?  They are a nylon type material with nylon straps that have plastic buckles.  We bought them 4 or 5 yrs ago and there aren't any tags inside or markings showing the manufacturer.   Rugged Gear does not make them but they fit perfectly over the handlebars.  We want to get another pair for the other gun cart.  Thanks.  Roper

20200306_153606.jpg

20200306_154313.jpg

Don’tcha got a coupla purses ya could repurpose. Save some money and style up Coverboy’s cart right nice! ;)

Kajun

Crown bags work fine and I also use a US money bag that come from one the Mints.

It's marked U.S. NICKELS.

I just looked on line at Amazon, Michael's, and Hobby Lobby for canvas bags.  There are plenty to choose from.  They all also carry canvas or nylon strapping.  It would be a simple matter to sew some straps onto a pair of these bags and have exactly what you want.

I prefer the mint bags.  I hemmed the top of a bag with a piece of copper wire in it to keep it open, and left a couple of loops of the wire out to hang from some hooks on my cheapo guncart.  That way it hangs open and is easy to dump my empties into.DSC00881.thumb.JPG.9bed5f166f814c6ff7616fb7d22c9fb8.JPG

Midway sells a nice brass bag for only $9.00 that has hooks, drawstring closing and has a latticework bottom that lets the dirt fall out. I bought three of them for friends. Irish ☘️ Pat

My daughter was wanting to try leather work so I asked her about trying to make a Civil War officer's haversack. She found a pattern, omitted the strap and here's her first attempt. 

IMG_4227.JPG

I've used the souvenir canvas bags with a ring of plastic cut from a coffee can like Folgers to keep them open. You can pull the rings out when done to fold up bag when going home to keep the empties from spilling out. 

Don't have the answer to OP but I do suggest that Jax Leather Company has some fine canvas bags.  No logo, just good strong canvas bags good for ammo and/or brass.  Their loaded ammo/empties bags compliment the pull-string bags (two or three sizes available).  Great WR/EOT vendors also.  

51hEvua3L8L._AC_SX679_.jpg

Just came across this while looking for bicycle bags, might be what you're looking for.

Hide & Drink, Leather Frame Bag for Bicycle/Triangular/Bike/Tool Pouch/Accessories/Biker Essentials, Handmade :: Bourbon Brown

On 3/30/2020 at 6:15 PM, Doc X said:

My daughter was wanting to try leather work so I asked her about trying to make a Civil War officer's haversack. She found a pattern, omitted the strap and here's her first attempt. 

IMG_4227.JPG

Nice looking bag, nice touch to etch your name

• 1 month later...
On 3/31/2020 at 2:09 PM, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

Jax Leather Company has some fine canvas bags.  No logo, just good strong canvas bags good for ammo and/or brass.

I have one that's served well. I was recently going to order another, called and as I understand it they're getting out of the business selling off what remaining stock they have. I hope someone else makes something similar available; they're great from the loading table to the unloading table.

wp586939d8_05_06.jpg.d911e1bd380a0296011156116ba407e4.jpgwpc6ec7f53_05_06.jpg.b3abcac5054551e5e093fc1df662aa0a.jpg

1 hour ago, Sanford said:

I have one that's served well. I was recently going to order another, called and as I understand it they're getting out of the business selling off what remaining stock they have. I hope someone else makes something similar available; they're great from the loading table to the unloading table.

S,

Sorry to get this news.  Great canvas products, and I enjoy visiting with Leona at WR and EOT.

Thanks for post and update.

I use 2006 SASS souvenir bags that were given to competitors. They are great and, as a Founders Ranch member, they were free.

16 hours ago, Sanford said:

wp586939d8_05_06.jpg.d911e1bd380a0296011156116ba407e4.jpgwpc6ec7f53_05_06.jpg.b3abcac5054551e5e093fc1df662aa0a.jpg

Martha over at Cowboy Shooters Supply has been making a similar product for the 20 years that I have known her. Good quality, good people. Scroll to the bottom.

https://www.cowboyshooterssupply.com/shooting_supplies.html

On 5/17/2020 at 8:27 AM, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

Martha over at Cowboy Shooters Supply has been making a similar product for the 20 years that I have known her. Good quality, good people. Scroll to the bottom.

Awesome, thanks for the pointer!

On 5/16/2020 at 4:04 PM, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

S,

Sorry to get this news.  Great canvas products, and I enjoy visiting with Leona at WR and EOT.

Thanks for post and update.

Man oh man, I'm bummed. I only had a chance to talk to that nice lady once, but it was more like 5 minutes of ordering a SG belt and a bag and 15 minutes of talking to an old friend.

On 5/17/2020 at 8:27 AM, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

Yep.  They are very similar.  Got one from Martha many years ago.

Made mine from the shafts from an old pair of boots. Made a wood bottom and hang them by the pull up straps from the cart on cup hooks.

Find a local “leather maker,” take your existing pair of bags to them and ask them to reproduce your bags in the same or similar NYLON material.  Their biggest problem may be finding the material, but you can probably do some leg work on that, in advance.  I doubt you’d want a set made from leather for this purpose.  Scout around at canvas supply houses and see what you find.  Request material samples if you see something that looks right.  Work with whoever will make them for you, and be sure you think they can do it right.

Cat Brules

On 5/16/2020 at 2:09 PM, Sanford said:

Double Diamond builds these also. PM him for information. He also builds a very nice empty brass/hull bag like this one.

62637F09-ABF2-4D9D-9C87-13229AC1C3D3.jpeg

i love seeing what folks use to solve our everyday issues in ways that fit well with our venue , i keep looking to make my life simpler and these suggestions prompt new thinking and changes to my gear , i keep getting a better grip on our shooting experience from these threads , ive changed a bit of my gear this year because of all the great ideas ive read , 

Archived