SASS Wire Forum

Marlin Fishing From Kayak

Subdeacon Joe

I came very close to buying a fishing kayak in 2005 when I lived in North Carolina. $1500 plus accessories type of fishing kayak.

I decided to buy a canoe on sale at Bass Pro for $239 just to see if fishing from a slick narrow boat would be something I would like to do. 
It isn’t. 

I hooked a 4# Largemouth near shore amongst a bunch or big rocks and rip-rap. 
The guys on shore got a big laugh watching my fight this bass and try to stay out of the rocks with a pole in one hand and an oar in the other.  My fantasy of using a fishing kayak to catch linker bass and saltwater fish on the coast was...pun intended...”Dashed in the rocks” that day. :lol:

That damn fish drug me all over the place.

I got a real life lesson in Newton’s Law that day.
Did you know that the motion of setting the hook is enough to propel a 14’ canoe with a 215 pound man in it at least 25 feet? Neither did I, until that day. :D

@DocWard is right...Use another kind of Marlin...QUICK! :lol:

6 minutes ago, Kid Rich said:

If you set the hook that hard on a 4 lb bass you would have ripped his lips off if he had em.

kR

Nope! The canoe was so slick it just took off. 

That idea didn't strike me as a healthy life choice when I read the title.

Too much fish, not enough boat.

Seriously, what's the endgame here? 

It ain't like you can tie the marlin along side the kayak.  Once it's rested a little, it will want a Round 2.  You can't kill it and bring in the carcass, every shark in the area will be zeroing in on you- and your little kayak.

So, you can't keep it alive and can't kill it.  Oh, and now you are 15 miles off shore, alone, in a boat with no motor.

CUT THE LINE. 

I would have when I saw what it was for the first time.

An acquaintance once went out into the Atlantic with a canoe. When picked up by the Coast Guard he and his fishing partner were clinging onto their cooler.

They lost all their gear including the canoe. 

12 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

Too much money. Not enough brains. No sense of ethics when it comes to fair chase hunting and fishing.

I started cheering for the marlin. 

Oh, I don't know.  One guy in a plastic kayak, with light tackle, fighting a 500# marlin.  Sounds like a pretty fair chase to me.  And in the end, release.

Unless I'm missing something, I think that's OK.  And the marlin did win in the end.

LL

Archived