SASS Wire Forum

The Medics...

Hank's daughter, a nurse in a major local hospital, forwarded this Facebook screenshot to me. 

I think our medical folks could use a few prayers these days....  The last sentence speaks volumes.  :(

495652318_NYNurses.thumb.jpg.8c1aced0275ad060b708e753e490e3d6.jpg

I'm sure things are tough, especially for those medical personnel and hospital staff.

But speaking of hospital beds and some equipment, it seems there are contradicting information

being shared on the New broadcast.

One NEW YORK doctor concurs that medical personal are being stressed out, weary, etc.....

but as for hospital beds, the news reporters are reporting live from a warehouse converted into

a hospital with dozens of empty beds (cubicles).

Its also been shown where the Mayor (Cuomo) has acknowledge they have 3-4000 ventilators

not being used because he stated the hospitals don't need them right now.

To me, its confusing to listen to all of it.   

Even without a pandemic,  New York probably has medical difficulties with all aspects of health problems.

No doubt with this virus, those doctors and nurses are in dire straits.   I wish them all well.

Hopefully, the HOPE ship will provide them some relief with military staffing and beds.

..........Widder

These people are supposed to be health care professionals.

This massive number of virus victims was expected, and the reporting nurse practitioner sounds like a whiner, IF THE REPORT IS LEGITIMATE.  All this report is doing is increasing the hysteria!  

Doctors, nurses, and support staff will have a tough go for a couple months.  They know this.
IF IT WAS EASY, they’d have the shoe clerks doing it!

The rest of us all must remain calm and carefully avoid exposure....as we are doing right now.

Cat Brules

Dang, Cat, that seems kinda harsh.  :huh:

But I truly do hope you'll be coming back in a month and saying "See?  Nothin' happened!  Told ya so!"  whistling.gif

Your county only has 59 cases as of today.  With luck that number will only go down.  :)

I think what cat said is very harsh. As a former combat medic I know it never gets easy seeing someone shot up, torn to bits, or dying, no matter what the cause being a medical professional or not. That is obviously a statement made by someone who has never dealt with death or dying in large numbers. There is a helpless feeling that can soon lead into a numb feeling which then makes you question yourself even more.  This isn’t hysteria, it’s a health care reality, you are just lucky enough to see it from a perspective far from the front lines.  They did choose that profession and it is a profession many can’t do for a reason. Your statement is very ignorant and unappreciative of the hard work and effort they must put forth. Unfortunately many aren’t listening to the warnings and believe this is hysteria and blown out of proportion and the numbers will continue to rise. Instead of being an ass be appreciative there are people willing to devote themselves to caring for others despite the risks involved. They are still human with emotions and feelings, they do get tired and stressed, they deal with more daily than many will in their lives. 

If you want to know why medical facilities and medical staffing are limited, and have been limited for decades, not just now, look up laws called “Certificate Of Need” state laws. 

https://www.ncsl.org/research/health/con-certificate-of-need-state-laws.aspx

This nonsense started in New York State in the late 60’s and spread like cancer around the rest of the country in mostly Democrat controlled states in the 70’s :angry:

These laws limit the size of hospitals, staff and equipment and were sold as a cure to keeping states with wealth from exceeding limits and as guidelines for other states to control health budgets. 

When I hear governors in states like New York and California (showing their elitist mentality) slamming the Trump administration for “his” failures it literally pisses me off. 

I am sorry for the bold print yelling and the verbiage. 

Yeah, I suppose I could have just said nothing.

However seeing and hearing health care professionals lose control because there is a serious, contagious virus at large, does nothing to control the matter and curb  fear and ignorance amongst people who don’t understand such situations.  That’s part of their job!

Transfer that same hysterical reaction to police, fire, educational, and higher public officials.  There is no place for that kind of thing. The public must see their leadership competently and gracefully adapting to difficult situations and solving problems, not going berserk.  Certainly these people may feel the hysteria but to lose control and publicly display, verbalize and wallow in it, frightens and disorients the people who count on them.

Cat Brules

I believe our NP was just venting out of frustration and exhaustion.  Understandable in her situation. 

On a slightly different note, I am praying for our health care workers.  Our local medical system has put out a plea for home made masks.  I've joined a sewing circle making them.

I received an email from Dansko shoes notifying me the are forced to shut down their operations, since they are deemed non-essential.  HOWEVER, they are donating cash to the Chester County Hospital Emergency Response Fund and will donate a pair of their shoes to each nurse and doctor in Chester County, as well as the hardest hit hospitals.  That is pretty amazing if you ask me.  Dansko shoes are the top rated shoes for professionals like doctors and nurses.  I own several pair.  They aren't cheap but worth every penny.

The staffs here at Atrium Health have gone on a 10 day on/off schedule. They are tired but seem in good spirits to me. As some have mentioned, this is a war. War sucks. If you’re in the fight you are going to get exhausted, frightened, discouraged, and heartbroken. It has always been this way and always will be. Bless those who are in the fight.

10 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

These people are supposed to be health care professionals.

This massive number of virus victims was expected, and the reporting nurse practitioner sounds like a whiner, IF THE REPORT IS LEGITIMATE.  All this report is doing is increasing the hysteria!  

Doctors, nurses, and support staff will have a tough go for a couple months.  They know this.
IF IT WAS EASY, they’d have the shoe clerks doing it!

The rest of us all must remain calm and carefully avoid exposure....as we are doing right now.

Cat Brules

I will admit I had to step back from my keyboard for a moment when I read your post. Let me ask you this: If a cop complained because he was being sent on patrol during riots without his protective vest and bullets, would you say he "signed up for it, so he shouldn't complain?" If a firefighter were sent to fight multiple fires without turnout gear and he demanded some, would you call him a "whiner?" So, when healthcare professionals are dealing with a lack of PPE, and other equipment, are over-extended beyond expectations and, in some cases, abilities, why should they have chosen to become shoe clerks instead?

Our state's medical director, who has become somewhat of a hero because of her calm, no-nonsense, factual presentation of information put it best. No country in the WORLD was prepared for this. To suggest that someone in a field of endeavor being confronted by such an overwhelming threat in numbers they never expected to encounter, impacting not only their patients, but their families, friends and colleagues, should have found a less stressful career path is, at best, callous.

If it helps to vent some stress, let her do it. Does it increase hysteria? I don't know, probably among some, who are histrionic about everything. We all know the medical professionals are taxed. It isn't like the information is new.

Hardpan,

Thanks for sharing this report for what it is like up close and personal to the pandemic in NY.

Prayers up for those that are sick and their caregivers! May the caregivers have the courage to rush towards the sound of gun fire or into a burning building. Because what they face each day is just as deadly.

Yeah, Cat, my son signed up to hold your guts in on the way to the hospital. To help a little kid who was just horribly abused. To try to calm an injured parent who's child is pinned in a car wreck. To hold your hand while he knows your dying. He gets tired. And he has to vent. He does this at home to us. Sometimes folks do it on social media to their circle and it gets shared. Sometimes the media catches an exhausted health care worker at just the right time. Sometimes.

But yes. They signed up for it. But they need the tools to do the job. And God bless and protect every one of them.

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

If you want to know why medical facilities and medical staffing are limited, and have been limited for decades, not just now, look up laws called “Certificate Of Need” state laws. 

https://www.ncsl.org/research/health/con-certificate-of-need-state-laws.aspx

This nonsense started in New York State in the late 60’s and spread like cancer around the rest of the country in mostly Democrat controlled states in the 70’s :angry:

These laws limit the size of hospitals, staff and equipment and were sold as a cure to keeping states with wealth from exceeding limits and as guidelines for other states to control health budgets. 

When I hear governors in states like New York and California (showing their elitist mentality) slamming the Trump administration for “his” failures it literally pisses me off. 

I am sorry for the bold print yelling and the verbiage. 

Man I long for the investigative journalism of 30 or 40 years ago. 

Archived