SASS Wire Forum

Side effect of Toilet Paper Hoarding.

Sedalia Dave

Widespread flushing of toilet paper 'alternatives' raises fears of a sewer-nami

An unintended consequence of toilet paper hoarding during the COVID-19 era has area wastewater treatment plant workers bracing for possible blockages and overflows.

Because of early runs and now scarcity of the paper product, some have resorted to problematic alternatives. Paper towels, facial tissues — even scraps of clothing — are being flushed into sewer systems designed to accommodate quick-disintegrating toilet paper.

Add those items to the increased volume of disinfectant cleaning sheets for sinks, counters and hands, and so-called “flushable” moistened wipes for babies and adults who are either sensitive or lack toilet paper, and the ingredients for epic clogs and blowouts are at hand.

I’m sure they have a “Plan B”.

If not, I reckon they’ll be up $#!£ Creek.

Cat Brules

Sounds like it is going to be a stinky  problem,  but a good point is this summer every garage sale will have lots of toilet paper,  CHEAP. 

Well my place got TP'd the other night and the value of my house went up to $1,000,000

It's for sale

As an operator I will say that the number one issue in lift stations and treatment plants is wipes. It is now the number one expense to a utility. Look for rate increases to deal with it.

Costco here had 30-roll packs of Charmin TP; one per customer, yesterday. A lot in stock. Every customer cart had one in it. This should carry us through with what we had on hand.

My guess is that the supply line of the product is catching up, just as it did with bottled water here about 10 days ago.

Have to agree with Slim, unbelievable what comes down those pipes at times. Our system is small, we do run two commutators( grinders) on the intake side. however, we do catch a lot of stuff at the intake spot which we "fish" out first thing in the morning. Handi-wipes, sanitary naps, rags, throw away diapers, etc.. Even though we keep informing residents not to put that stuff down there.:blush:

10 minutes ago, MAYOBARD SASS #13025L said:

2F0465A1-128D-4E15-8171-AE4C192FC823.jpeg

I scored some at the dollar store yesterday. I'll sell it cheap, just $20 per roll. Will consider making a deal for a bottle of Tyrconnell

JHC

15 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Good use of cats. They lick themselves clean and reusable.  

I am new here and just going by what I have read....but Allie Mo maybe planning your demises 

19 minutes ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

Our town already had an inspection company in to check the sanitary sewers.

WHY?!!

Aren’t the City maintenance staff able to do that?

Cat Brules

Archived