SASS Wire Forum

Gun "borrowers"

Lawdog Dago Dom

There are a few people I have loaned guns to and would do it again.  Like you said, be very careful.  

When you live like I have lived, you learn to trust very, very few people.  But those few people you trust, you trust with everything.

There's something about me you probably haven't picked up from interacting online -- I keep people at arm's length on purpose.  To be frank, I've buried too many of my close friends, and I've been betrayed by people I should have been able to trust.  So I protect myself.  But if I call you "friend," I mean it.  It's not a word I use lightly, and I would take a bullet for you (yes, literally).  If I would take a bullet for you, I'll certainly loan a gun to you.

19 minutes ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

There are a few people I have loaned guns to and would do it again.  Like you said, be very careful.  

When you live like I have lived, you learn to trust very, very few people.  But those few people you trust, you trust with everything.

There's something about me you probably haven't picked up from interacting online -- I keep people at arm's length on purpose.  To be frank, I've buried too many of my close friends, and I've been betrayed by people I should have been able to trust.  So I protect myself.  But if I call you "friend," I mean it.  It's not a word I use lightly, and I would take a bullet for you (yes, literally).  If I would take a bullet for you, I'll certainly loan a gun to you.

I've often perceived you in that manner.   Which is a very respectful personality, in my opinion.

When evaluating someones trustworthiness, I've often used the term:  'I would share a foxhole with him'.

That says a lot about how much you can trust someone.

..........Widder

47 minutes ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

I keep people at arm's length on purpose.  I've been betrayed by people I should have been able to trust.  So I protect myself.  But if I call you "friend," I mean it.  It's not a word I use lightly, and I would take a bullet for you (yes, literally).  If I would take a bullet for you, I'll certainly loan a gun to you.

I'm the same way. My Marine Corps career didn't go as well as it could have partly because of superiours I found out the hard way had no problem throwing me under the nearest bus when it became convient. 

I have very few friends, but if I call you friend, I mean it the same way Cyrus does.

1 hour ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

I understand. When I mentioned in my previous comment the two friends that are closer than family, they are two I consider brothers I served with. In Tombstone, when "Turkey Creek" Jack Johnson says "Hell, I got lots of friends," and Doc Holliday responds, "I don't," the scene has always hit me down deep. I have a fair number of acquaintances, many I am friendly with, but my number of friends is extremely short.

34 minutes ago, DocWard said:

I understand. When I mentioned in my previous comment the two friends that are closer than family, they are two I consider brothers I served with. In Tombstone, when "Turkey Creek" Jack Johnson says "Hell, I got lots of friends," and Doc Holliday responds, "I don't," the scene has always hit me down deep. I have a fair number of acquaintances, many I am friendly with, but my number of friends is extremely short.

Agreed, it seems harder to find true friends now.  Is it our increased age or our society as a whole has changed?

8 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Agreed, it seems harder to find true friends now.  Is it our increased age or our society as a whole has changed?

I believe that, for me at least, over time I came to understand what the meaning of the word "friend" is. As a child, a friend was any number of kids that I played with in the neighborhood. As a teenager, they were the other bored kids I hung out with. As a young man, they became those I would hang out and party with, have fun with and be somewhat at ease with. I think for many, their definition of friend never gets past this point. Over time, though, I came to realize it meant those I could not only enjoy time with, but whom I could rely upon, and in return, made sure they could count on me.

I've said before, although I don't recall if it occurred on this forum, that I have three different "brothers:"

My brother by blood, and we are as close as brothers could be, and we talk almost daily. My sisters, not so much, but I digress.

My fraternity brothers. My fraternity was small and rebuilding when I joined, so we have a special bond, and there are a handful that I remain extremely close to. We don't talk often, but when we do, it is as though we've picked up from where we left off without skipping a beat. Whether yesterday, last month or last year in some cases, the conversation would start the same.

Finally, there are those I served with. The two I mentioned I would loan guns to fall in this category. We've sweat, bled, laughed and cried and were scared together. We enjoyed the euphoria and laughter of being alive and wondering how we managed it. There are a few that fall into this latter category, but the two I mentioned I remain closer with than all but my brother by blood, and I consider them on par.

When one thinks about it, this may seem like a lot of friends, but when it gets down to it, I don't think it is. Over fifty years of a life lived busily among many people, and barely more than a handful that I would "take a bullet for" as Cyrus put it. Yes, I mean it literally as well.

I was going to loan my good neighbor my Marlin .357 to hunt but he cancelled his hunting day. I'd lend him anything he wants. I've lent him a shotgun before for trap shooting. I've got quite a few pards that are welcome to whatever I have!

I have loaned several guns to friends and family members over the years and have never had a problem but I did know all of them very well and trusted them and still do, just lucky I guess. That being said I do know a few folks I would loan a screwdriver to and never expect to get it back, those people  I always keep at arms length.  SCJ

People that I currently know:

One longtime friend that would not need it.  Has lots of ammo-dispensers.

One longtime friend that has only one gun but spends all his extra cash and time helping others.

No others, for any reason.

I have loaned or given firearms to my son & daughter.  I gave my son a 44M Taurus Raging Bull as a graduation gift when he finished his classroom & OJT requirements to get a paramedic license.  I loaned my 70's vintage 12ga Remington 1100 to my daughter.  She also has my wife's 1927 vintage 300 Savage Savage 99A takedown model w/collectable Lyman no. 1 tang site.  The firearm has sentimental value.  She had to rescue it from a dealer in Santa Rosa after the uncle who had it for years had it on consignment.  The Remington model 8 that he also had on consignment was sold before we got to the dealer the following Saturday.  I don't worry about getting the guns back; because, they will be hers when I can no longer use firearms.  Hopefully before I reach that state or pass, SCOTUS will declare CA's & other states AW & mag capacity bans unconstitutional.  I have a safe full of CA contraband that I want my children & grandchildren to have.  I know my son & grandchildren want them.  I can see the broad grins on their faces when they shot my 1st AR-15.  The youngest was eight.  They are all adults now.

On 3/27/2020 at 8:51 PM, J-BAR #18287 said:

To my wife and kids, maybe.

Others? No.

Includes books, DVDs, and CDs.

Am I to assume you really expect to get all that stuff back?

I was recently asked by an acquaintance if I would be willing to loan them a firearm until this frenzy over the pandemic is over.  My response:  "If you have just waited until now to worry about having a firearm, you have not given it enough thought.  This leads me to believe that you would not be able to handle it in a safe and responsible manner, and that is not a liability I would be willing to take on at this time."  Strangely enough, my logical and completely responsible answer seemed to upset her.   

There is a guy from my old job at the police department who was a great cop.  He only had about 7 or 8 years on the force when he got injured and forced to retire early, but I worked with him for most of that time, mentored him, etc.  I know for a FACT he is a straight shooter, of high moral character, and impeccable integrity.  He took a job working for a non-profit known as Shield 616, which fundraises to buy active shooter body armor and other equipment for cops.  After a while, he became frustrated at the amount of  travel he had to do, having a young wife, a kid, and a baby on the way at home, so he was looking for a new job.  I helped him get a job where I work, along with another guy I had helped get a job (there are now three retired cops in my building, all from the same PD!).  

Three weeks ago, his house burnt down.  It was only 2 years old, so we figure there was  a problem with the wiring.  His gun safe was destroyed, along with everything in it.  I tried to GIVE him a gun so his family wouldn't be unprotected, along with the spare room in my house, a crib, high chair, etc. that we have left over from when our kids needed them.  It turns out I didn't need to give him anything -- ALL of those needs were met before the fire was even put out!  Cops from other departments had already pitched in before I knew about it!  I did donate to his GoFundMe page, however.

Archived