SASS Wire Forum

Gun "borrowers"

Lawdog Dago Dom

Just wondering if anybody has been asked to loan a gun to a friend or relative. Most of my friends are gun owners, current or retired LE, so that probably won't happen.

Family can be a different story.

We do have a member with an adult child at home that I would not loan a brand new box of Crayolas to.

They haven't asked (yet), but that request will be politely declined if need be.

But what is to stop them from re-loaning your loaner?

Not a decision you can take lightly

Nope. I have one gun out on loan to my good buddy, but it's just my little .22 Ruger Bearcat. I loaned it to him (my idea) to use it to teach his boy. He already has plenty of other guns. Loaning out a firearm in this situation for possible defensive and/or whatever other use to someone who doesn't have one? Not happening. Buy your own. Kinda like don't think you're gonna come to my house when SHTF and expect me to protect and feed your unprepared ass... ain't gonna happen.

I can't think of any friends that don't own a gun. I do have a few(very few) family members that don't own a gun, but we don't speak; therefore they can't ask. 

Should anyone ask I'd politely direct them to visit the local gun shop.

Even my ultra left wing, radical liberal, communist leaning sister has shotguns and her husband was the head of the state wildlife resources agency so I know he has a gun!!

The likelihood of me loaning a gun to an unarmed friend or relative is nonexistent!!

The only three guns I ever lost were loaned to brothers.  One admitted he'd taken it to a pawn shop and sold i  This was the same brother that came to my house and told me he was taking a 1894 Winchester (made in 1911, been in the family since 1963) to the pawn shop if I didn't give him $100 for it.  It's still in my safe today.

The other brother never would look me straight in the face when I asked about the Colt Agent he'd borrowed.  W hen he passed a couple of years ago, I had to settle his estate, and the little Colt was nowhere to be found.  He also lost a 38 special derringer by leaving it in his truck overnight.  That one was borrowed without my knowledge.  

I'm older and wiser now.  The list of people I'd loan a gun to is shorter and shorter every day.

2 minutes ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

The only three guns I ever lost were loaned to brothers.  One admitted he'd taken it to a pawn shop and sold i  This was the same brother that came to my house and told me he was taking a 1894 Winchester (made in 1911, been in the family since 1963) to the pawn shop if I didn't give him $100 for it.  It's still in my safe today.

The other brother never would look me straight in the face when I asked about the Colt Agent he'd borrowed.  W hen he passed a couple of years ago, I had to settle his estate, and the little Colt was nowhere to be found.  He also lost a 38 special derringer by leaving it in his truck overnight.  That one was borrowed without my knowledge.  

I'm older and wiser now.  The list of people I'd loan a gun to is shorter and shorter every day.

That's very sad. Reminds me of bartending while going to school. You never had to chase down a stranger to pay their bar tab. They were grateful for the courtesy and would settle up promptly. Bar regulars, tended to be a different story.

This changes the personality of this thread, but in effect, every time we send or give our firearms

to a smith, we are 'loaning' them our guns.

Every time someone sends me a Henry .22 to work on, they are loaning me their rifle.

And I shoot those rifles also..... :D

Basically, it comes down to trust and such.

I have a handful of friends who already own guns.  But they are so trustworthy and responsible that

I would loan them about anything I own.....gun, truck, flashlight, etc.....

I wouldn't load out my wife or dog, but I would most other stuff under certain circumstances.

I must admit that I also have friends whom I would not loan them anything.

..........Widder

I have only loaned one gun to anyone. A co-worker friend of mine at work was concerned about his family’s safety after some incidents near his home in Long Beach, CA back in 97. He had recently bought a house and was barely getting by. He asked if he could borrow a shotgun. I loaned him one with his promise that he would be buying his own within a month. That month turned into 3. Every time I asked about it there was some excuse as to why he couldn’t give it to me. So, one Saturday morning I showed up at his house to get my gun. I didn’t call ahead. He was quite perturbed that I was taking my shotgun back. I couldn’t believe the audacity if this guy. 

Anyway, that will never happen again. 

I have "lent" guns to friends or family on specific hunting trips, where I was along.  Usually when teaching a youngster or as a temporary replacement for a buddy's gun that had malfunctioned.

That said, I once gave an H&R Topper .410 (hated that thing!) to a couple I knew for training their kids, and at the same time loaned them my son's first rifle - a .22 Chipmunk.  Some time later I went by their house to see about collecting the Chipmunk, and it seems hubby and wife had divorced and moved away.  Chipmunk is gone.  :(

I understand that they had more pressing issues to deal with, but...  

I can think of only two people that I would loan firearms to.  One of them is definitely not a friend, but is trustworthy and competent.  Two people; that’s it.  And, I’d be surprised if one of them asked,  it if asked, I would.

Plus (I’m not sure of this), if I’m not mistaken, I think that technically considered, loaning someone a firearm is an “illegal” transfer.  As if I care.

Cat Brules

I'll let just about anyone use a gun at the range but there's not many that I'd let take it home with them when we're done. Certainly not a family member. Most everyone I know has their own so it's pretty much a non issue for me. 

Howdy,

A friend of mine was just scraping by getting thru college.

And he had a wife and kid.  They bought some sort of economy 

car foreign made.  He begged me to loan him my metric wrenches.

Just for the weekend. He promised he would clean them and have them

back so quick....

The wrenches were gone a couple months. When they came back they

were tossed on the step in front of my back door. I took them in and spent

the next couple hours cleaning old car grease off.

I should have asked for his wife as deposit....

Best

CR

1 hour ago, Cat Brules said:

I can think of only two people that I would loan firearms to.  One of them is definitely not a friend, but is trustworthy and competent.  Two people; that’s it.  And, I’d be surprised if one of them asked,  it if asked, I would.

Plus (I’m not sure of this), if I’m not mistaken, I think that technically considered, loaning someone a firearm is an “illegal” transfer.  As if I care.

Cat Brules

Hey Cat.

That reminds me of a story a few years back.   I think the circumstances involved a bank robbery or such

and the Perps were using guns much bigger and better than the local police.

Some of the local Police ran into a local gun store to 'acquire' a few AR's or such.

After the frakus was over, somebody wanted the Gun Store owner charged with a crime for allowing

some Police officers get a gun without running a background check.

The last I heard is that charges were dropped but I actually don't remember all the details.

And I don't remember what city this took place.

..........Widder

3 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Hey Cat.

That reminds me of a story a few years back.   I think the circumstances involved a bank robbery or such

and the Perps were using guns much bigger and better than the local police.

Some of the local Police ran into a local gun store to 'acquire' a few AR's or such.

After the frakus was over, somebody wanted the Gun Store owner charged with a crime for allowing

some Police officers get a gun without running a background check.

The last I heard is that charges were dropped but I actually don't remember all the details.

And I don't remember what city this took place.

..........Widder

Los Angeles. The North Hollywood Shootout. 
Police went into B&B Sales in North Hollywood and “borrowed” AR-15s. 
The owner of B&B was not paid for the guns and the sh...dirtbag chief of police wouldn’t pay for the guns because he was a bureaucratic POS.

B&B, once they got their guns back had an auction in Las Vegas and auctioned them off. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Hollywood_shootout

As a matter of fact I was just asked this morning. A liberal co-worker who didn't think guns were ok a month ago. I politely declined but thanked him for storing all my food and toilet paper. I'll probably never have to speak to him again. 

I loaned my factory custom SKB200E (Had it built to my specs at the factory when I was stationed in Japan.  Paperwork nightmare to get it delivered through the Exchange system) to a fellow Marine back in 1974.  Took me three months to get it back (after I threatened to report it stolen) and there was a four inch gouge in the left forearm.  A dealer rep got the forearm replaced for me and it's a perfect match.

First and last time I've loaned one of my guns.

Here in Orygun it is illegal to loan a gun to anyone that is not immediate family with out doing a back ground check. If caught you can loose your guns and rights to own them.

Well, before that boating accident, I'd loan guns to friends all the time. At the shooting range. Beyond that, I can think of five people on the face of the planet to whom I would loan a gun, but of those, three would have no need to ask because they have their own. One is blood, the other two are closer to me in life than most of my family, and I have trusted them with my life. The fourth and fifth are my daughters. In their case, though, it wouldn't be a loan, it would be a gift. They get them when I pass, anyway.

I've never loaned any self defense guns to anyone, nor would I. I have loaned CAS guns to folks on an extended basis (2 - 3 months) and at big/small matches. Kind of weird when you think about it......won't loan self defense guns to people I've known for many years but will loan cowboy guns to people that I don't even know their real name. Hmmm, may have to rethink that one.

"Nope" is the short answer.
I won't share my wife or lend my guns.
I'm hard pressed to lend tools unless to a good friend and Harbor Freight stuff.

I'm far more impressed with how the cowboys at the matches care for their hardware, than I am with the general public.
If I have tools I need to get rid of, I loan them to my son in law.

One of my brothers had his guns stolen from his house.  A Revelation. 22 single shot and a Topper .410.

When I went to visit him I offered him the choice of borrowing either a sporterized and scoped Swedish Mauser or am Enfield Jungle Carbine  - along with dies, a single stage Lee press, and a Lyman handbook. About 200 rounds for either one. He took the Enfield. 

Got the rifle back about 10 years later.  Front swivel and screw were missing.   In place was a zinc coated machine screw and square nut.    He had duct taped some foam onto the butt as a recoil pad, and the stock was loose. He did bring about 300 rounds of surplus,  most in stripper clips. 

Never again. 

I've loaned guns to my brother before and would again if he asked.  If TEOTWAWKI ever happened I would loan to my next door neighbor if he needed it.  We would be 'on the same team' at that point. Other than that, maybe a cowboy friend or three, if they really needed it. 

Sometimes they ask or sometimes I offer an O/U that gets loaned out for birds.  Typically to out of state family/friends who have difficult gun control laws and have no use for a hunting gun in the city.

What keeps them from reloaning it?  They get in my passenger seat to get back to my home.

I loaned a Savage .22/20 gauge to someone and darned if I can remember who.  I loaned a great nephew a .22 Cricket as his older brother seemed to always have use of the .22 his dad had.  The little guy was 9 or 10 and the Cricket fit him well.  He is now 17 and his dad and I talk repeatedly about getting it back.  It isn't an issue because I trust him.  Besides, if he did something underhanded, his wife, my wife's niece and close friend, would skin him alive.   The guy is as honest as the day is long.  I'm still looking for that .22/20 gauge.

I've loaned out guns at trap shoots, cowboy shoots and such but I always get them back at the end of the day.  I have loaned (given) a number of guns to my son and daughter who do shoot.  My son wants to trade some of his cowboy guns for some that I have.  Mmmmmmm, no.  I'd probably give my daughter any gun she wants as long as I think she can handle it.

My son and daughter that are not shooters, they'd need an compelling argument for me to "loan" them a gun.  I'd give them a big stick.

I should clarify my earlier statement or at least add this:

When I talk about loaning a gun I mean letting someone take a gun home.
At the range I let friends and family shoot my guns. I don’t consider that a “loan”. I have let strangers at the range shoot my guns, but I am standing right there and I will only do that if they also have guns there that they are shooting.

At SASS matches I will loan guns to my friends. All Cowboys and Cowgirls are my friends even if we haven’t met yet. :D

I've loaned out guns at cowboy shoots when someone had a breakdown...

I've loaned out guns while out plinking and target shooting to someone wanting try out what I was shooting.....

I've loaned out guns to people while we were hunting side by side.....

But I cannot even imagine loaning out a gun and watching it drive off down the road in someone else's vehicle.

Loan a gun out a match to a pard who broke one, or a new cowboy to help them get started?  Yup.  But only for the duration of a match.  To my Dad who is retired LE.  Yup.  Do anything for my Dad.  Anyone else?  Nope. Sorry.  Not gonna happen.

Archived