SASS Wire Forum

Speaking of booze: local distilleries...

When we travel to different states, we try to find whiskeys, preferably either bourbons or ryes, that are bottled there. Fer instance: when my son lived in Wyoming, he was only about 30 miles from Kirby Creek Distillery, which produces a small batch bourbon called Wyoming Whiskey in a postage stamp sized town called Kirby, Wyoming. He now lives in Eureka, Nevada where they sell another small batch bourbon made relatively locally called Two Bitch. Gardiner and Livingston, Montana, when we were there last fall, had Neversweat Bourbon, bottled in Billings. There's also a small distillery in Madras, Oregon, near where my other son lives, that makes a killer  small batch rye. Stein Distillery in Joseph, Oregon also makes a pretty good rye, but I like the Madras one better.

On our recent trip to Winter Range, we discovered Copper City Bourbon, which is distilled and bottled by AZ Distilling in Tempe from local grains. So far, as far as I'm concerned, it's a toss-up between Neversweat, from Billings, Montana and Copper City. both are mellow and smooth and quite tasty...

Whatcha got in your area?

4 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Right now our local distilleries are 'essential'-- because they are all making hand sanitizer along with the booze!

Yep, here too!

Thumb Butte distillery in Prescott made some mighty good Escalante Dark Rum. Used some sort of special sugar from Venezuela, but the government there made it impossible to produce it any more, much less export it to us, so they  quit.

They still produce some award winning beverages....or maybe not since the COVID is going to kill us all before we can get out to buy it. :rolleyes:

Actually the TTB just changed the guidelines and now you have to use 190+ proof for making hand sanitizer.  Means that any waste whiskey has to be redistilled in a column still before being used as sanitizer. Most whiskey distilleries don’t have that type of still.  They can still buy alcohol and make sanitizers, probably cheaper to do that as GNS is around $3/gallon in bulk.  

3 minutes ago, Still hand Bill said:

Actually the TTB just changed the guidelines and now you have to use 190+ proof for making hand sanitizer.  Means that any waste whiskey has to be redistilled in a column still before being used as sanitizer. Most whiskey distilleries don’t have that type of still.  They can still buy alcohol and make sanitizers, probably cheaper to do that as GNS is around $3/gallon in bulk.  

Bill:

How about a translation?

TTB?  GNS?

Appreciated.

LL

16 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

My go-to Whiskey is either Bulleit or Buffalo Trace. 

OLG 

I also enjoy Bulleit Rye.

Archived