SASS Wire Forum

1897 16 gauge barrel

JP McLintock

I have a 16 gauge 97 with a oversized chamber, to the point where the brass swells and jams the empty hull.

I think I'd like to rebarrel it, and have a couple of questions,

1- is a model 12 barrel the same?

2- does anyone have a good 16 gauge 97 barrel that needs a new home?

Thank you

First off...did you have the chamber length checked?? It is my understanding that all 16 gauge 97's had short chambers...and that the early 12 gauges did too. If you have a short chamber...I wonder if the extra pressure could be at the root of your problem.

9 hours ago, JP McLintock said:

I have a 16 gauge 97 with a oversized chamber, to the point where the brass swells and jams the empty hull.

Thank you

I have a factory new 16 gauge barrel that I’m willing to part with. PM me your email and I’ll send some pictures.

1 hour ago, Old Man Graybeard said:

First off...did you have the chamber length checked?? It is my understanding that all 16 gauge 97's had short chambers...and that the early 12 gauges did too. If you have a short chamber...I wonder if the extra pressure could be at the root of your problem.

That's what I thought as well, so I got ahold of some 2 9/16" shells and it does the same thing, I took it apart again and really looked at the chamber and did some measuring and found the diameter of the chamber to be .755 and the standard dimensions are more like .732 , it also looks like someone honed the chamber to remove pitting, or so I think since there is heavy pitting farther up the barrel.

Ok. Just a thought. I know some people don’t realize those guns had the shorter chambers. Maybe try Ahlman’s in Morristown. Don’t know if they might have something laying around or not  

Sent some pictures. The barrel is modified choke, 2 3/4” chamber with brass bead site and its never been on a gun. I have a factory new 16 gauge takedown mag tube if you need it too. I’m having internet issues this morning and have sent the pictures again. 

For the curious people, here I a couple of pictures of what was happening with the shells in this gun, the brass would expand up and stick it in the chamber.

IMG_20200328_105305382.jpg

IMG_20200328_105309162.jpg

On 3/26/2020 at 9:02 PM, JP McLintock said:

Thank you

Question #1..... no, 

Question #2.....Yul Lose seems to have what your looking for!:)

Archived