SASS Wire Forum

AA vs AA HS Hull Question

WOLFY

howdy,

are these the same as far as reloading for Win AA hulls?  Never noticed before but a good amount of my reloads are marked differently than each other.

is the one in the right older?

89D67CD8-C9D9-4C62-A6D9-E6699A01DE37.jpeg

AA are one piece hulls HS have an insert. Look in  the case. If you see a clear plastic insert in the bottom of the hull, it is the new AA. They have minimum powder requirements or the hull will buckle, because the powder will not support the base of the wad and it hangs up on the lip that insert and leaves a void between the powder and wad base. 

Supposedly they load the same, but I found that the aahs loaded better for me if I used a wad with 1/8 oz more capacity than I was loading.  Ie 1 oz wad for 7/8.  
Some have reported loose base wads from early hs hulls.  I used to load them, but have moved to rem hulls and the old one pc aa’s which do load the same. 

Thanks guys, the one on the right doesn’t have an insert.

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

I treat all AA hulls the same.

I don't reload'em. ;)

OLG 

Yeah, I think I’ll follow your advice and load up those Remis.  

Thanks for the recipe and helping me get the reloader squared away, OLG.

I only reload WW AA hulls, usually once fired as I’m about the only guy at my cas club who messes with them. When they get ugly looking after a couple of loadings I cut them back to make short shells. I liked the old one piece hulls better than the 2 piece hulls but I can get ok loads out of them. I use 7/8 oz of  #9 shot and claybuster wads. I reload them on an old blue Bair/Pacific press. I like to reload shot shells, some guys don’t. No more than they cost and as few as we shoot you would be hard pressed to amortize new equipment but my press, 12 ga dies were and the hulls are free. And I can load my version of featherlight shells. 

AAHS loads just fine for me, but I believe I get fewer reloads with them than older AA. I have taken to inspecting for pin holes at the crimp and tossing any showing light through a hole. Mostly though they look burned and brittle by that time. The HS hulls seem thinner than the older version. I have to work with my shell gauge to manually force some of the reloaded shells to be round and to plunk freely. Some shooters use that gauge at a match as they load their belt.

I have a small batch of Remington STS Green that I have collected, but that ammo bought new is 1 OZ and a higher velocity than I would reload for CAS. It's okay based on watching other shooters use new shells, but buying new looks to be the main way to get STS without some arrangement with a gun range.

The demand for the ideal hull is too great, so it helps to have an alternate plan. There are other colors of Remingtons that work too, with the primary criteria being a smooth surface, not the ribbed surface seen on other shells. The smooth hulls supposedly shuck better, and I believe that is true. I have some Fiocchi Light Target that are ideal for us by the numbers, but the ribbed hull doesn't always pop out like the smooth brands do. These imports also reload only one or two times and are done. They are also 6 point crimp, with crimp petals that break after a reload or two. They are cheaper though than Win or STS, so with a shotgun that shucks easily, they would be a good choice for someone who only shoots new shells or is okay with limited reload capability.

RR: Once-fired STS hulls are available on gun auction sites for a nickle a hull.  They are my preferred hull for reloading.  Gun Clubs reload well too.  I reload them once with black powder and then toss them.  I get all the Gun Club hulls I need for free at clays ranges.

Wolfy:  keep an eye out for the annual Winchester AA rebate.  It was $2/box last year.  The rebate makes factory shells competitive with reloads.  ($8/box at Wally World minus $2/box is $6/box.)

2 hours ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

RR: Once-fired STS hulls are available on gun auction sites for a nickle a hull.  They are my preferred hull for reloading.  Gun Clubs reload well too.  I reload them once with black powder and then toss them.  I get all the Gun Club hulls I need for free at clays ranges.

Wolfy:  keep an eye out for the annual Winchester AA rebate.  It was $2/box last year.  The rebate makes factory shells competitive with reloads.  ($8/box at Wally World minus $2/box is $6/box.)

Current auction shows "nickel a hull" as only the opening bid with Buy It Now of 7.1 cents ($50 per 700). Will have to watch that and see if the supply is steady or whether grabbing it at the  BiN price better reflects the going rate. Thanks for the tip. I calculate that 700 would be about right for two matches a month for a year on average without recycling any. BTW, the shipping shows as $25, making the investment at least $.085 per hull and as high as $.107. Not sure about the economy in that.

RR, locally I have bough STS hulls for 7-cents each.  I find I can reload them about three times before they get scuffed and frosted enough that they are unsuitable for CAS.  However, the scuffed and frosted hulls are still good for Wild Bunch where I shoot a pump shotgun.

7 hours ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

I have to work with my shell gauge to manually force some of the reloaded shells to be round and to plunk freely.

If you come across a hull that is  out of round --- pitch it. They don't recover well .....

3 hours ago, Yusta B. said:

If you come across a hull that is  out of round --- pitch it. They don't recover well .....

yes, but I was referring to a completed reload.

Archived