SASS Wire Forum

Movies To Watch Or Not While During This Time

Cypress Sun

I just watched Badlands on Netflix. Folks don't waste 2 hours on this one. Boring as all get out, terrible firearm presentation and horrible acting. 1 - 10.....1-

Watched 1917 yesterday. Great visual scenery but boring and drawn out. 1 - 10.....3.5

Saw Zombieland II day before last. I thought it was funny, not as good as the 1st one but not bad. 1 - 10......5

Looking for input on movies/short series on Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. Maybe keep a thread up about movies worth watching and movies to not waste your time with?

Some series I liked:

Jack Ryan seasons were good on Prime.

I loved The Witcher on Netflix but not for everyone. 

Narcos is entertaining on Netflix...

I had the kids watch Red Dawn last night :)

I'm going through my DVD collection and SWMBO and I are on a "Duke" watching binge - even the old-old B&W ones he made on poverty row.

We still have a lot we bought from TCM.

We are enjoying “Lillyhammer” on Netflix.  American gangster goes to Norway in the witness protection program.

Stupid but funny.

We are also going through Longmire for  the third time.  Quality never fades.

I really enjoyed “The Mandalorian” on Disney +.  Better than the Star Wars movies IMO,

I watched The Missing, (Cate Blanchett, Tommy Lee Jones) on Showtime(?) yesterday.  It is an early 2k’s Western movie about Indians (feathers), led by a foul Indian witch, stealing a white girl (and other girls) and her family (and another Indian family) trying to get their girls back.  It’s a very good film!  On a scale of 1-10, I will rate it as an 8 to 8.5.  A “must watch” film, in my view.

Cat Brules

Don’t watch World War Z! 
:lol:

Ballad Of Cable Hogue with Jason Robards ain’t bad. Breaking Bad start to finish would take up three or four days and then Better Call Saul. The first two seasons of Sneaky Pete were good but this last one wasn’t.

11 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

The Missing, (Cate Blanchett, Tommy Lee Jones)

7 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

Ballad Of Cable Hogue with Jason Robards

Just ordered those two on DVD to expand my movie collection. Thanks for the suggestions!

2 hours ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

Bosch on Amazon.  Counterpart on Amazon is okay.  Marco Polo on Netflix, also Daredevil, Punisher.

If this thing drags on for a few more weeks, a whole new season of Bosch will be up on Amazon.

That will keep me busy for a day or two.

Can't get enough of Harry Bosch.

LL

Amazon Prime DCI Banks, City Homicide.

20 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

I watched The Missing, (Cate Blanchett, Tommy Lee Jones) on Showtime(?) yesterday.  It is an early 2k’s Western movie about Indians (feathers), lead by a foul Indian witch, stealing a white girl (and other girls) and her family (and another Indian family) trying to get their girls back.  It’s a very good film!  On a scale of 1-10, I will rate it as an 8 to 8.5.  A “must watch” film, in my view.

Cat Brules

I've seen that twice. I really liked it too. It is available free on Dish.

I tried to watch Drag Me to Hell last night. I only made it 1/2 hour. No likey monsters. The protagonists were sweet. If you like horror movies, it might be really good, as the reviews were. I don't like them.

2 hours ago, JD Lud said:

Ok someone just texted me and told me I HAD to watch Tiger King on Netflix...it looks like their number 1....I gotta admit I watched the trailer and it looks interesting....

That series actually played out locally. They had official signs out on main roads with "Big Cat Rescue" directing unaware folks to their "zoo". Opposing losers is all I can say about it but the real losers are the animals. My gal watched it. I refused to...it played out in the courts. Just like OJ, murderers still walk the street.

My standbys when I cant find anything worth watching.

Cowboy Flicks: Any Tom Selleck western, 310 to Yuma, Open Range, Wyatt Earp,

Comedies: Anything written by Kevin Smith, We're the Millers, Super Troopers, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Random Flicks: Shawshank Redemption, Lawless, Green Mile, Pulp Fiction

I will warn my taste in entertainment are sort of odd compared to my friends and family so..........

23 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

If this thing drags on for a few more weeks, a whole new season of Bosch will be up on Amazon.

That will keep me busy for a day or two.

Can't get enough of Harry Bosch.

LL

If?? I think we can bet on it unfortunately.

15 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I've seen that twice. I really liked it too. It is available free on Dish.

I tried to watch Drag Me to Hell last night. I only made it 1/2 hour. No likey monsters. The protagonists were sweet. If you like horror movies, it might be really good, as the reviews were. I don't like them.

Personally I like the older horror movies where the gore was implicit instead of being splashed all over the screen. Hitchcock and the other masters of previous decades are still the kings of horror imho.

Some time back, I bought all of the Selleck Westerns, all of the Jesse Stone episodes, all of the Endeavor episodes, all of the Justified episodes , and several others, all on Amazon Prime Video.  This gave me a great cloud library of programs, and no need to have CDs on hand; anywhere I went, as long as I had a computer, I could get my favorite shows.

About a year ago, Amazon dropped many of the Selleck movies and a few of the others; if I selected one, it would say "No longer available"; I assume they lost whatever licensing arrangement they had with the owner of the rights to the film.  Now, some have come back onto Amazon, but are not restored to my library.  If I want to see it again, I need to re-purchase it.

There are some advantages to buying hard media.

LL

I watched Once Upon a Time in Hollywood with Leonardo diCaprio and Brad Pitt. It drug at first but was worth watching for the ending. Wow! Al Pacino is short.

I don't want to give anything away. So I will only quote the blurb from Google.

"Actor Rick Dalton gained fame and fortune by starring in a 1950s television Western, but is now struggling to find meaningful work in a Hollywood that he doesn't recognize anymore. He spends most of his time drinking and palling around with Cliff Booth, his easygoing best friend and longtime stunt double. Rick also happens to live next door to Roman Polanski and Sharon Tate -- the filmmaker and budding actress whose futures will forever be altered by members of the Manson Family."

I watched the first couple of episodes of Quick Draw on Hulu today.  It’s about as tongue in cheek as a western can get, comedy of course.  The guns are pretty good, handling not so much.

Just finished Season 1 of Narcos. I like it so far. Going to start on Season 2 tomorrow.

I've been watching The Walking Dead ever since the very first episode. Not as good as it once was but I'm still watching it.

Showtime (free for now) has The Missing, Ballad of Cable Hogue and a few other movies I plan on watching.

I know that most of ya'll don't watch Nascar but I have to say, the I-Racing that has been on the last 2 weeks has been entertaining when a real race isn't available.

Started watching Vikings from the beginning again. Also Outlander.

I like the new Hunters series. Occasionally weird but the thought of tracking down and dispatching Nazis gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.

For something different check out “Babylon Berlin” on Netflix.  Someone called it like “Cabaret on heroin”.  A police drama set in Weimar Republic Berlin it’s gritty as heck.  Brownshirts, Communists, Monarchists etc all vie for power in a very decadent Berlin. The dubbed English is better than average and only occasionally annoying.  For anyone interested in early semi auto pocket pistols it seems like nearly every one they show is a different model. Check it out. 

Seamus

Archived