SASS Wire Forum

Are there any CB radio users left?

I still have two in the shed also.  Thought about getting the out a couple times just to use around the property.  Haven't used them in decades especially with cell phones.  Have a couple of hand held radios that get almost as good a distance as CB.

Still have my Royce and antenna. Serial #12 ifen that gives you an idea how long ago:D

10 hours ago, Noz said:

Yo Robin Hood. You got the old Muskrat east bound on the super slab.   I be sitting in the rocking chair tween 2 Kenworths.  You clean and green all the way to Okie City.

Thank you good buddy.  Catch ya on the backside Muskrat...

Ok, ok, ok, I'll come clean.  Nearly 30 years after the fact, I'm going to admit to a dastardly deed I did with my base station CB.

I had been out and about with friends one evening, playing tag in our cars with CBs.  It was a game we played often.  Some guy unknown to us got on the air and continually harassed us, saying filthy, horrible things.  Of course I challenged him to a fight because I was 16 and full of you-know-what and vinegar, but he only played with us.  

Two days later, I had the base station turned on and heard a dump truck driver call for the manager of our local 3M plant.  I RECOGNIZED THE DUMP TRUCK DRIVER'S VOICE AS HAVING BEEN OUR LEWD HARASSER!!!

So I answered up, pretending to be the 3M plant manager.  Apparently the driver had a load of gravel for 3M and wanted to know where to dump it.  I told him, "Just put it right there in the parking lot."

"Right here out front?"

"Yeah.  We have a skidsteer.  We'll move it later," I told him.

Ten minutes go by, and suddenly I hear a thunderstorm of curse words, blaming, and counter-blaming flying across the airwaves as the 3M plant manager demanded the driver return and pick up his errant load of gravel.  

"Well you told me to put it there," the driver whined.

"LIKE *&$@# I DID" the manager screamed, "HOW IN THE #($@ AM I SUPPOSED TO MOVE IT?!?!!?!?!?"

"You told me you had a skidsteer!"

"WE DON'T HAVE A #*@&-ING SKIDSTEER!!!!"

And on, and on, it went for a few minutes.  

It sucked for 3M, but, just like my Big Earl's Goldmine story, I'm reticent to say I'm sorry to that nasty driver :)

Got into CB about 1963 or '64, in college.  A buddy of mine and I were in the same AFROTC group and we had them in our cars.  Used those units and hand-helds to coordinate cadet air police activities around campus.  Had to have an FCC license.  You called up on Channel 9 and when you made contact, were supposed to switch to another channel.  Every so many minutes you were supposed to announce your license.  I don't recall the brand name, but is only had maybe five or six channels, controlled by what crystals you plugged in for send and receive.  No "handles" back then, just call sign.  KPJ5247 Mobile.  Ihad thething under the dash of the car with the antenna mounted on the roof of my station wagon.  The flat plane surface gave me good range in spite of having the legal 5 watts to final.  I kept it in my later wagon all through my service in Montana.  Cascade County sheriff monitored Channel 2 for emergencies.  Used the unit for a base station for several years after I got off active duty, substituting a smaller 24 (?) channel unit in the vehicle.  Wife didn't like using it much, so I eventually took it out and sold both units sometimes in the '70's.  I still have a pair of hand-held units I keep in the car in case I'm out where I need to communicate short range with somebody where there is no cell phone service.  Haven't checked the batteries in about a decade!  Don't use my flip cell phone much either.  Wife won't have one! She claims she's the only women in the country who doesn't! :rolleyes:

I used to use them, sell them, install them, repair them and also commercial two-way radio and SMR, RCC and cellular phones, etc... and after all of those years I literally hate being tied to any communications device. For the last 25 years or so of my business career I had to carry a pager, or two way portable or cell phone because I was the on call tech if repeaters, base stations, command centers, etc.. went down. Mrs. Lose hates it that I don’t carry my IPhone everywhere but I just don’t like to. Keep the shiny side up and the greasy side down, Good Buddy.

On 3/26/2020 at 5:34 PM, Charlie T Waite said:

Do you remember you License # as well from when we had to have a CB license?  Ghost KNN5965 

My dad told me about that.  He said that almost no one actually had a license, but that the license went with the radio.  If you borrowed someone's radio, you used their handle.  When I went off to college I had a long drive to get to school and would be back in the woods hunting a lot on weekends, so my dad gave me his old Cobra Model 29, and along with it his handle.  Ramblin Gambler. 

Dad told me about a cop in our area who ran a CB.  Went by Whippoorwill.  If Whippoorwill was working, he'd let you know where he or any of his buddies were because he'd just assume everyone slow down and he not have to write tickets.  When he got into his area, he'd holler for him to see if he needed to slow down.  "Hellooooooooooo Whippoorwiiiiilllll ... Are ya out there?"  I did it sometimes too when it was real quiet.  I reckon he had retired by then because I never got a response.  In college, the CB was better than a cell phone for me and my hunting partners.  I mean, sure you might spend 30 minutes trying to holler for someone, but at least it was safe. 

The model 29 stopped working a while back and I replaced it with a Model 29 classic.  I also have a Royce that I picked up at a garage sale that I don't think I ever even tried to power up.  In my last job I dealt with radios a lot, and I always kinda hoped I could play with them again some day, even if it was just a hobby after retirement.  I liked them so much that I bought my own spectrum analyzer and a few other tools.  I think I spent $5k on the spec analyzer alone.  It was worth $7500, but I got it from a retired Canadian fella who was happy to see it go to someone who planned to use it.  At the time I'm pretty sure that was well over a month's salary.  Probably close to 2. 

I guess I just added "fire up the CB" and "tune the CB antenna" to my list of things to do during the quarantine.  Now I have to decide if I wanna cheat and use my dad's SWR meter or break out the bird and do it long hand. 

I had CBs back in the 70s.   Someone asked if you could remember you’re license # mine was KQV9485. Which is amazing I still remember it!  :)  I know several folks that still use them.  Walk into any big truck stop and they sell them.  

But in the early 90s I went to HAM radio.   Lots more fun but more expensive.  I went up to my advanced license which I’ve been KK5FE for years.  

I was active for years but slowed down.   I have two meter and HF rigs. I’ve talked to folks in just about every country in the world and even places that aren’t inhabited but people go and setup a mobile HF setup just to make contacts.  

Now that I’m talking about it I need to get back on the air.  

Memory tells me it was around 1 AM.  Small Town and I've got 6 hours to the end of my shift.  I'm bored.    

Chanel 19 lights up.  One is bragging about what good time they are making and how he's looking out for cops.

Making good time implies (to me) they are speeding and I'd guess they are on the State Road that went though Town.  Then the leader warns the other about a sharp curve and then another curve.  That told me they are south of Town.  Only question are which direction?  If they are headed south they have already flew though town.  If they are North bound then they will be here in a few minutes.

I park with headlights off.  When I see headlight fast approaching I turn the RADAR antenna towards them.   Two mobile home toters doing 62 in a 30.  When I pull out with red lights on the Leader starts apologizing to the Follower.  Sorry he didn't see me parked, sorry he couldn't warn the Follower in time...sorry.

Follower pulled over, I went around him and stopped the Leader!  B)  At that time we citied traffic violators to the County Court.  After County Judge, County and State got their cuts a dollar would be left for the Town.  No other traffic.  All the stores were closed.  Sidewalks had been rolled up and put away way earlier.  I took my time running his license and vehicle registration.  Then I gave him a verbal warning about bored small town cops looking for some to write a ticket to so he'd better slow down before he ran into one.  I didn't cite him.  As he left Town I listen to him on the CB tell his buddy about his experience with me.

Then it was 5 hours and 45 minutes to the end of my shift...:mellow:

Archived