SASS Wire Forum

Do they sell booze at your grocery store?

Alpo

Many of the local grocery stores have a liquor store attached to them. Publix, Winn-Dixie, Walmart, Albertsons. But you can't get to the liquor store from the grocery store. You must leave the grocery store and go in the liquor store. It is a separate facility.

When I was in Puerto Rico I was shocked to see that they sold whiskey in the grocery stores. Just sitting out there on the aisle like it was cereal or canned fruit.

All of the grocery stores around here sell beer and wine, but not booze.

How about where y'all live?

Kansas.

Beer at grocery. No liquor.

No booze or beer in grocery stores up here.         GW

A few do most don’t. Ohio got rid of the state liquor stores years ago.

Beer, wine & liquor on shelves in the grocery store with no separation from the rest of the store. 
There also liquor stores. They are not “State” or “ABC” stores. I am pretty sure that there is one on every corner in some California towns. 

2 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Booze only at State liquor and Wine outlets. Beer and wine at stores.

we also have “local option” where a town can vote to be dry.

Yeah, we have some dry towns, too....you can identify them by all the package stores built along the town limits.

LL

In PA, beer and wine sales recently became allowed at groceries stores.  Liquor is still only sold in liquor stores owned and operated by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.  And our Governor waved his magic wand and closed all the liquor stores!

We moved to Springfield in 1982.  Alcohol was available in grocery stores and package stores, but could not be sold on Sunday.   “Blue Law”.   As I recall, alcoholic beverages could be consumed in a restaurant, but you could not buy a bottle on Sunday.

The law changed.  Don’t know exactly when.  As Casey Stengel said, you could look it up.  

Now alcoholic beverages can be consumed and liquor can be purchased at any time in Springfield.  Grocery stores, liquor stores, restaurants, your choice.

I’m sure there are those who will claim the virus is punishment for changing the law.

Here’s to ‘em.

I never paid any attention to that nonsense about dry “municipalities”.  Years ago when I lived in Irving, Texas, we would have to drive over the line to “The Circle” to buy beer, wine and liquor.  Then, take it back home.  The clowns in charge “blamed” it on Jesus and God in general.  I blamed it on wild-eyed Baptist “preachers”....a.k.a., fear-mongering power merchants.  They’ll all cook in Hell, if they ain’t there already.

In California liquor, wine, and beer are widely available in grocery stores, large drug stores, and other stores and shops.

Cat Brules

Grocery stores have it all. The only thing I don't like is cans of peaches on the far side and booze on the other side, they should put' em right beside each other. Makes for a lotta walking. 

I'm a lifelong Washingtonian. We had State liquor stores here until just a few years ago. All grocery stores could sell beer and wine, but not booze. The old blue laws-- no sales on Sunday, etc-- went away one by one.

I remember as an 18-year-old leaving home to go to college at Cal being amazed that liquor was sold everywhere in California: grocery stores, gas stations, drug stores; and there were still stand-alone liquor supermarkets.

Just a few years back we eliminated State liquor stores by initiative, and all grocery stores now sell liquor. The big stores have big selections. I was negative on it at first, but that was just the crankiness of the aged. It's way more convenient, and selections are better. Big private stand-alone liquor stores seem to do pretty well, too.

Yep, liquor sold in all of the supermarkets that I frequent. My little local liquor store has better prices and far more scotch selections.

Here in NC they have beer and wine. No liquor much to my disappointment.

Colorado is beer only. And until last year it was only 3.2 beer.

The liquor store lobby is apparently strong in CO. :(

Beer and wine in the stores, hard stuff in state run stores. I kind of miss visiting my son in Vegas when he lived there. The local Walmart had my favorite cheap bourbon for $15.95/half gallon. But that's the only thing I miss about him living in Vegas...

Here in Kansas, it’s beer only in grocery stores. All else is sold in state package liquor stores. The owners have a powerful lobby that prevents sales anywhere else.  

Conversely, you can’t buy mixers like sodas and ice at these stores. But you can step into a side area within the store to purchase those items on a separate register. :wacko:

I live 5 minutes from the Missouri state line where alcohol can be bought anywhere.  When I moved here in 1978, the  local KS police would often sit on the KS side of the state line near a MO liquor store. If they saw a car with KS tags leave the store, they’d pull them over and issue a ticket for carrying liquor across state lines.   I kid you not. Fortunately that’s not the case anymore. 

We even had an attorney general who would raid Amtrak trains passing through the state. I’ve since thought his purpose was to call attention to how stupid the laws were as the raids were heavily publicized. 

I could go on with other prohibition laws that survived well into the ‘80s. Not enough space here.  

4 hours ago, Chili Pepper Kid, SASS #60463 said:

Grocery stores have it all. The only thing I don't like is cans of peaches on the far side and booze on the other side, they should put' em right beside each other. Makes for a lotta walking. 

Monty would agree with you to.

Unless there is a local ordinance all sold at grocery stores, gas stations, etc.... Also now have pot dispensaries. Used to drive by a tiny strip mall that had five stores - a bar with gambling, a gun store, a tobacco shop, a pharmacy, and a divorce lawyer. One stop shopping there.

VA booze sales are controlled by state - ABC stores.

Beer & wine are available in grocery stores, and others.

Archived