SASS Wire Forum

Personal Best!

In high school back in 68-69, my 100 yard dash was around 11 seconds.   I don't recall

getting into the 10's, but close a couple times.

The coach put me on the 440 dash roster and I was horrible.   I could be competitive

the first couple hundred yards but just didn't have it for great distances.

In this part of the country, one name earned most of the speed honors:  Darwin Bond

from Kingport Dobbins Bennett H.S. 

..........Widder

I made it to the front door.

Lawman, I'm stealing this

Widder, no wonder you are so fast, in high school in 1969, 11 seconds would have been an age record and very respectable in most competitions.

UB praying for your wife and family every day-I don't have the heart to pick on you

Imis, was it in the back of a truck at the time?

Back in high school (1966) I ran the 100 yard dash in 10.8 seconds, kinda fast, but our speedster, Billy Lewis ran it in 10.5 seconds. I also ran the 220 yard dash in 24.1 seconds but Billy ran it in 23.3 seconds. State record back then 10.2 seconds and 22.8 seconds. A really fast sprinter from a Chicago high school. Today I can waddle the 100 yard dash in about 68.7 seconds

Back before high school, I'd hear folks talk about running such and such yards in a certain amount of time and think goof lord they must be fast! Of course I wasn't going by 3ft, I was going by the number of neighbors yards I was passing. I remember running 16 yards in about 12 seconds when Ole Man Stits got after me fer messing with his daughter Norma.

Widder, I may have to revoke your lie credentials. Everybody knows the first liar ain't got a chance.

Speaking of being a big liar....... tell the truth yeowndangself.    EVERYBODY knows that

Ole Man Stits didn't have a daugther.   It was his young wife, who was also a big liar..... :lol:

..........Widder

True story - My high school was so small that the track coach (and basketball (no football or baseball as we did not have enough kids)) would plead for volunteers for the relay teams before a track meet! As expected, the volunteers were not trained athletes (me - once).

50 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Speaking of being a big liar....... tell the truth yeowndangself.    EVERYBODY knows that

Ole Man Stits didn't have a daugther.   It was his young wife, who was also a big liar..... :lol:

..........Widder

Widder, there was no mistaking Mr Stits daughter Norma. She was real popular. Bout everybody likes Norma Stits. 

1 minute ago, Tennessee williams said:

Widder, there was no mistaking Mr Stits daughter Norma. She was real popular. Bout everybody likes Norma Stits. 

I remember her very well.   The year book left out her full name but listed the first letter of her name: 'E'.

Everybody liked her.  

Ya gotta say it fast.

..........Widder

Uh HUH....... 

B)

Cat Brules

8 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

That's odd. I married Tracey Stits.... Got all of her though.

At my high school (R. Nelson Snider) all the track records were on the wall in the gym. Rod Woodson had almost all of them. 

All of which reminds me, I'm already registered for two 5Ks, one a trail run. One late in April and one early in May. With everything going on, I haven't been training. They might not go as well as I would like.

I'm looking forward to the second one, as it is, in part, a memorial to a soldier from my brigade who died in Afghanistan in 2011, at the same time as a friend of mine. Last year, several guys from my unit showed up. This year many are planning to attend.

Oh, I was never a speedster. I have always been built more like a linebacker than a runner. Interestingly, when I have been in decent shape, I've seldom had someone able to match my kick at the end of a two mile or 5K.

I used to work with a guy by the name of George Brose that held the Ohio State High School record for the mile, way back in 1961, at 4:20. He went on to get down to a 4:08 in college If my memory serves correctly. He's also run a bunch of marathons, with a best time in the 2:30s. 

The 100 yard game Was Not mine ,,, I was a good 220 , Great 440 and Super 880 Yard runner ....

I always lost time in the shorter Races getting of the Blocks cleanly...

I was also a Long distance Swimmer excelling at the 5 mile Mark ...

Jabez Cowboy

Archived