SASS Wire Forum

Watched "The Tall Men"....again!

Trailrider #896

This about the third or fourth time it has been shown in the last week.  But I never get tired of it!  Great story (pun intended, as the true cattle drive on which it was based was done by Nathan Story, Montana pioneer.  Oh, yeah, in the movie there is that lady...uh, Jane Russell. Very easy on the eyes, and her singing.... ump! :rolleyes:  There is no mention of such a lady in the real history.  Nelson Story drove a herd North from Texas in 1867, up the Bozeman Trail and into the Gallatin Valley with IIRC 13 Texas cowboys. He bought Remington rolling block carbines (probably rimfire split-breach).  He did have a fight with Red Cloud and Crazy Horse, and used the carbines and stampeded cattle to cut through the Sioux. When I was stationed in Montana 1965-69, Story's grandson was in a nursing home in Bozeman, MT.  No, I never met him...just heard about it.

Stay well, Pards!

I watched The Tall Men this afternoon!

Cat Brules

4 hours ago, Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme said:

Another helping of Missouri elk, anyone

That means.......the morons (film characters) killed a mule.

As an audience member, viewing this film seriously, I found the idea of killing the mule offensive.

We also knew it would never have happened.  No one would kill a valuable, trained and friendly mule because they might be casually hungry.  An animal like that would have been a virtual and protected family member.

Cat Brules

Archived