SASS Wire Forum

Chiappa 1887

Buckshot Bob

Wondering if anyone has one ? Do you like it ? I’ve never even got the opportunity to find one in a gunshop yet to look at.

But for some reason it intrigues me . But for 1400 retail it better be pretty nice        https://www.chiappafirearms.com/family.php?id=15

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are real nice and then some, both of mine have been worked on by Lassiter. It has a learning curve that is a bit steep but worth it in the end.

I recently bought a Chiappa and gave it to Lassiter to work over. I can't wait to get it back. I heard he has some for sale that are ready to run, so you might try that route. With practice, they can run fast. Regardless, they do get style points.

I have one of the Mares leg Chiappa that I use in Reenactments 

Its hard to keep it out of the hands of my fellow reenactors 

They all want to use it

I also have 2 Coyote Cap 1887's and most of the time all 3 will be in the skit

1 hour ago, Trailboss (Santa) Dave said:

I have one of the Mares leg Chiappa

I've got one too.    Not fired it yet, but ever since I first saw it advertised I wanted one.   It runs through dummy rounds made from spent all brass shells with no problems.   Feeds from the magazine flawlessly, although loading up the mag is a bit cumbersome.  Mine does not have a "drop two" modification, nor will I have one done, but I have noticed that, like on an original you can sorta load two.  Push down the carrier, drop one down into the action and shove one into the chamber, close and go boom clackity boom.  Not as fast as a "real" drop two, but it does work.

I don't plan on even trying to win any speed contests with it, but I do wanna have some fun with it. 

If I had any "complaints" it would be that the lever is "standard" and not made into a large loop for spin cocking.  Not that I would ever try to do it, I just think the look is spoiled by a normal lever.

Oh, and it's too heavy to point and aim with one hand held out straight.  :)

While I will certainly shoot a match or 2 with it from time to time, I REALLY want to pair it with a "real" Mares Leg (ie, a Winchester 92 pattern pistol) my 92 rifle with the John Wayne loop, and if I could, an AWA Lightning bolt pistol, a very rare "Mares Leg" type pistol based on the Colt Lightning.   I've found a way I can legally obtain a Mares Leg, but the Lightning bolt probably remains an unobtainable dream due to their scarcity and "rules" where I live.

16 hours ago, RMW said:

Wondering if anyone has one ? Do you like it ? I’ve never even got the opportunity to find one in a gunshop yet to look at.

But for some reason it intrigues me . But for 1400 retail it better be pretty nice        https://www.chiappafirearms.com/family.php?id=15

The '87 lever SG isn't for everyone. 

Fire one BEFORE buy'n one.

OLG 

I'm waiting on a call from Lassiter saying mine's done. At the time I ordered mine a couple of weeks ago he was getting 4 in from Chiappa. Give him a call if you are wanting one. 

I have 2 IAC and 2 Norinco. Not as pretty of the Chiappa but functionally the same. 2 have Lassiter's drop 2 mod and are are my go to shotguns for matches. 

A note about Lassiter's drop 2 modification. Once done it is very difficult to stoke the magazine. It can be done but not easily and requires holding the shotgun just so or you can't get your fingers in the right location to push the shell into the chamber.

To run one properly takes a little practice. The lever throw is really long so unless your knuckles drag the ground when you walk :P you will probably need to shorten the LOP. Mine are about 1 inch shorter than the LOP is on my other shotguns. I suggest you set the stock up with the correct LOP and try it with some dummy rounds. If you are having issues ejecting them, shorten the stock 1/4" and try again. Continue until you no longer have issues cycling dummy rounds.

When cycling the action it needs to be done with authority or you'll fail to have the spent shells to fully clear the action and make a mess of things.

Train wrecks can be epic. Sometimes loading one and dropping one is the best course of action.

The extractors on 1887 shotguns are not the strongest in the world. So properly sized shells are a must. I use a MEC Supersizer and resize the brass on all my shotgun ammo including factory shells.

15 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

The lever throw is really long so unless your knuckles drag the ground when you walk :P you will probably need to shorten the LOP. Mine are about 1 inch shorter than the LOP is would have on any other shotgun. I suggest you set the stock up with the correct LOP and try it with some dummy rounds. If you are having issues ejecting them, shorten the stock 1/4" and try again. Continue until you no longer have issues cycling dummy rounds.

Great advise SD thanks for sharing it!   I'll be checking the LOP as soon as I get mine home.

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

The extractors on 1887 shotguns are not the strongest in the world. So properly sized shells are a must. I use a MEC Supersizer and resize the brass on all my shotgun ammo including factory shells.

With regard to properly sized shells, first time I ever saw one at a match, the fellow who had it told me that the modern reproductions are pretty much identically to the dimensions of the originals.  The only  change is that the chambers are for 2.75" shells.   But, the rest of the action has the same dimensions that were designed around 2.5" shells.  He told me that he had problems with the longer ones, but since he switched to the shorter ones, he's never had a lick of trouble.   

That's the testimony of one owner.  

Since I shoot all brass shotshells in SASS, which are 2.5", I can not say for sure if it makes a difference.  But I can say that they don't give me any problems in my original Winchester.   I plan to experiment a little with my new Chiappa to see if the modern length shells make any difference in function.

BTW, here's a pic...

886932979_87MaresLeg.thumb.JPG.5f8a9613e964b5123f613ccb9da84764.JPG

2 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I have 2 IAC and 2 Norinco. Not as pretty of the Chiappa but functionally the same. 2 have Lassiter's drop 2 mod and are are my go to shotguns for matches. 

A note about Lassiter's drop 2 modification. Once done it is very difficult to stoke the magazine. It can be done but not easily and requires holding the shotgun just so or you can't get your fingers in the right location to push the shell into the chamber.

To run one properly takes a little practice. The lever throw is really long so unless your knuckles drag the ground when you walk :P you will probably need to shorten the LOP. Mine are about 1 inch shorter than the LOP is on my other shotguns. I suggest you set the stock up with the correct LOP and try it with some dummy rounds. If you are having issues ejecting them, shorten the stock 1/4" and try again. Continue until you no longer have issues cycling dummy rounds.

When cycling the action it needs to be done with authority or you'll fail to have the spent shells to fully clear the action and make a mess of things.

Train wrecks can be epic. Sometimes loading one and dropping one is the best course of action.

That was one of the questions I had . If you do the quick 2 shot conversion can you still load 5 in the tube .

Is the factory 2 shot different than Lassiters?

16 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

With regard to properly sized shells, first time I ever saw one at a match, the fellow who had it told me that the modern reproductions are pretty much identically to the dimensions of the originals.  The only  change is that the chambers are for 2.75" shells.   But, the rest of the action has the same dimensions that were designed around 2.5" shells.  He told me that he had problems with the longer ones, but since he switched to the shorter ones, he's never had a lick of trouble.   

That's the testimony of one owner.  

Since I shoot all brass shotshells in SASS, which are 2.5", I can not say for sure if it makes a difference.  But I can say that they don't give me any problems in my original Winchester.   I plan to experiment a little with my new Chiappa to see if the modern length shells make any difference in function.

BTW, here's a pic...

886932979_87MaresLeg.thumb.JPG.5f8a9613e964b5123f613ccb9da84764.JPG

All the current reproductions have chambers sized to safely chamber modern 2 3/4" shells. 

My comment was in reference to the poor quality control that many shotshell manufacturers have. Out of specification heads may not extract and there is no easy way to extract a stuck hull on the clock. 

5 minutes ago, RMW said:

That was one of the questions I had . If you do the quick 2 shot conversion can you still load 5 in the tube .

Is the factory 2 shot different than Lassiters?

Yes with the factory load 2 it can easily be over ridden allowing the magazine to be loaded normally. Lassiter's drop 2 mod is a hard mechanical stop that cannot be over ridden by simply pushing the carrier down. 

BTW nothing is more fun than stoking up an 87 with BP and then mowing down targets as fast as you can..

47 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

I have a Coyote Cap full race ‘87. It requires a softer touch to load two than the Lassiter version, but very doable. To me, it’s worth it to be able to stoke it as John Browning intended. 

Wish we could use them for Wild Bunch. :(

Wish we could stoke 'em on the clock for CAS.   Yeah, I know, the rules say you can if the stage directions allow it.  In all the years I've been doing this, I've seen such an allowance exactly once.

3 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Wish we could stoke 'em on the clock for CAS.   Yeah, I know, the rules say you can if the stage directions allow it.  In all the years I've been doing this, I've seen such an allowance exactly once.

SOP club rules allow it at many of the clubs I've shot at.

OLG 

3 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Maybe you should volunteer to write stages every once in a while.

21 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

The factory version is not as 'positive' in the 2 shot deal as the Chippy is.

The factory version is easy to stoke up.

Just push the carrier all the way down when you stage the SG.

OLG 

So you can load the mag on the factory 2 shot ? All the literature I’ve seen from chiappa lists it as a 2 shot gun .

they gave a part # for a 2 shot and a 5 shot .

So far this isn’t looking bad as a option. Nobody seems to make a high quality 97 reproduction and the sxs  I like is the CZ which is in 

about the same $$ ballpark . 
Decisions , decisions. I got my pistols and rifle now I just need to make up my mind on a shotgun, holsters and a name .

looking forward to shooting just for the fun of it 

27 minutes ago, RMW said:

So you can load the mag on the factory 2 shot ? All the literature I’ve seen from chiappa lists it as a 2 shot gun .

So far this isn’t looking bad as a option. Nobody seems to make a high quality 97 reproduction and the sxs  I like is the CZ which is in 

Decisions , decisions. I got my pistols and rifle now I just need to make up my mind on a shotgun, holsters and a name .

Here is Deuce Stevens' instructional video on loading.  I find loading with my strong hand easier than using my weak and trying to keep the gun in position.

1 hour ago, RMW said:

NO, not the Chippy version. 

You can stoke the IAC version with the 2-shot deal in place.

OLG 

22 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

NO, not the Chippy version. 

You can stoke the IAC version with the 2-shot deal in place.

OLG 

You can stroke the IAC if it is as first designed by Cap to use the nose of the ejector to catch the hole in the follower.  The problem with this original idea by Cap is if the shooter pushes too hard the carrier goes too low....... Lassiter’s modifies the carrier by welding on a v on the bottom right side of the carrier and then removing some metal on the lever so regardless how hard the shooter pushes the carrier stops in correct position every time.  This version can’t be stroked but the shooter can be confident that regardless how hard he pushes the shells down the carrier will always stop at the correct height. These are two totally different approaches  for the load 2.  I have owned 4 different Chiappa’s done by Lassiter’s approach and 6 IAC’s done by Lassiter too. I also have a IAC that Cap did using the method as Lassiter and it operates the same way with a positive stop. The Chiappa balance’s better when picking up with one hand on the forearm while the IAC’s are a tad butt stock heavy. 

The video does illustrate and clarify the “4-shell” approach of pulling two shells with each hand prior to snatching the shotgun up off the staging table.

This allows the shooter to load two from the strong side as he raises and shoulders the gun, and then, load two from the off side after the first two empty shells are fired and ejected.

Cat Brules

2 hours ago, Caboose said:

You can stroke the IAC if it is as first designed by Cap to use the nose of the ejector to catch the hole in the follower.  The problem with this original idea by Cap is if the shooter pushes too hard the carrier goes too low....... Lassiter’s modifies the carrier by welding on a v on the bottom right side of the carrier and then removing some metal on the lever so regardless how hard the shooter pushes the carrier stops in correct position every time.  This version can’t be stroked but the shooter can be confident that regardless how hard he pushes the shells down the carrier will always stop at het correct height. These are two totally different approaches  for the load 2.  I have owned 4 different Chiappa’s done by Lassiter’s approach and 6 IAC’s done by Lassiter too. I also have a IAC that Cap did using the method as Lassiter and it operates the same way with a positive stop. The Chiappa balance’s better when picking up with one hand of the forearm while the IAC’s are a tad butt stock heavy. 

On the CC version.

As you load 2 rnds, open your hand flat so it stops at the top of the rec'r. By doing that, it keeps the carrier in place.

OLG 

Wanna thank everyone for their advice. Especially the ones who said talk to Lassiter.

I called him today he answered all the questions I had about the Chiappa’s and anything else 

i wanted to know about CAS and the how and why of the mods he does to his guns .

I ended up buying the last blued one he has right now but if you’re interested in a chrome one I believe 

he said he still has a couple. 

2 hours ago, RMW said:

Wanna thank everyone for their advice. Especially the ones who said talk to Lassiter.

I called him today he answered all the questions I had about the Chiappa’s and anything else 

i wanted to know about CAS and the how and why of the mods he does to his guns .

I ended up buying the last blued one he has right now but if you’re interested in a chrome one I believe 

he said he still has a couple. 

Have you live fired a '87 lever SG yet?

The learning curve is unique with this SG.

OLG 

59 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Have you live fired a '87 lever SG yet?

The learning curve is unique with this SG.

OLG 

Nope , I’m sure I’ll manage . If I really hate it that’s a great excuse to buy another gun :)

17 minutes ago, RMW said:

Nope , I’m sure I’ll manage . If I really hate it that’s a great excuse to buy another gun :)

Then, have you even handled a '87?

All '87s have a long lever throw, and correctly fitted stock(LOP)is vital.

OLG 

5 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Then, have you even handled a '87?

All '87s have a long lever throw, and correctly fitted stock(LOP)is vital.

OLG 

Got it covered , I installed 100’s of recoil pads and fit many a sc and skeet shooter . Don’t have a fixture to bend stocks 

anymore but I don’t think it will come to that 
Just haven’t done many in the last 20 years so I’m allot slower at it .

I can cut test , cut test 

When I talked to Lassiter today he said with my arm length he felt I would be pretty close 

Archived