SASS Wire Forum

BP harmful?

Slowhand Bob, 24229

AS a FCD that  Burns 2 to 2.5 CC  of Goex 3F per Shot  and 3.4 CC in my 16 ga , with 4.3 cc in my 12 ga. ...

I have COPD  and Real Black doesn't bother me much ,,, those that add fillers sometimes cause me problems ...

The Make-Believe Black Powders cause me all kinds of issues ..... even to the point of coughing Up blood and my lunch ...

Not pretty ...

Jabez Cowboy  

17 hours ago, Slowhand Bob, 24229 said:

OH Lord, and now we are almost into April and my old outboard motor exhaust is even worse yet!  I get to spend almost a full day with my pulmonologist on the 21st doing tests to check progression so perhaps I'll find out more then.  The wife wants me to sell everything and stay home in the recliner with her AND I do not like reruns on the Halmark channel!

Any pulmonoligist will tell you the absolute worst thing you can do is become sedentary.

YEP, I went through the therapy course a couple of years back but my oxygen requirements have definitely increased since then.  Bout to go stir crazy with this being cooped up and has started making Cowboy Shooting look mighty tempting again.  My little fishing boat battery went dead on me right before winter and I figured it would be smarter to replace it in the spring, wasn't expecting to be locked down and not able to go to Wal Mart!  Im being told the fish are already bedding big time and the temps here are topping 80 today!!!  

Anyone know how to delete messages on here?  I am getting lots of messages that I cannot read cause this puter thang keeps saying "box is full and can not accept any more messages". 

On 3/25/2020 at 1:54 PM, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

This is, generally, completely idiotic.    Oxygen enables combustion, but it's not explosive.   I'd avoid that range just for being so dumb. 

Sorry to hear they decided to act before thinking.

Good luck, GJ

There are three dangers with bottled oxygen.  1) "Oxygen can make some materials burn that are not normally flammable. For example, Nomex, which is the material used to make the fireproof clothing firefighters wear, can be lit on fire in an oxygen-rich environment"

2) "a person using home oxygen should never smoke or be in the same room as a person smoking while the oxygen tank is turned on. The flame from a match or lighter, and even the ember burning at the end of a cigarette, can cause any nearby materials--such as clothing, hair or furniture--to burst into flame."

3) "Compressed oxygen tanks also pose a danger of turning into an airborne projectile due to rapid decompression. The oxygen in compressed tanks is under extremely high pressure. If the valve on top of the tank is damaged and begins to leak, the oxygen will spray out of the tank at rapid velocity, which can cause the tank to "take off like a rocket,""  

I suppose the range is concerned about folks smoking or something knocking the valve off or puncturing the canister.   ALL THAT SAID - GJ is right

Yeah, I had all those points welded into my brain, during gas welding class.  But it's good to make sure oxygen users all understand there are no shortcuts when you use oxygen!

Good luck, GJ

if you run a test on anything you can prove it harmful , everything from what we eat to what we breath but then life is terminal by definition , might just as well enjoy it while you have it and dont look for more reasons to limit your fun in the meantime we are NONE OF US GETTING OUT ALIVE 

Its the forest that is the issue and not the trees. 

Breathing particulates is the issue. I seriously doubt the cares if it is dust, APP smoke, BP smoke, Wood smoke, or something else. being exposed to air laden with particulates is what the doctor is worried about. 

And has been pointed out by several others,  when using oxygen it becomes concentrated in the users hair and clothing. Fires in an oxygen rich environment burn with significantly more vigor which makes them hotter and more destructive.

I hope Tabasco Sauce dawnt fall under the flammable category, it is on just about everything I eats cept for ice cream.  Most of my tanks and equipment initially went in a back bedroom (there went the guest room) and oxygen decals were put in each area between there and the front door.  It is not just the oxygen, plain old air tanks can be deadly if dropped on the valve.  Unguided missiles!!  One of my favorite dive shops had a part time kid killed by such an accident many years back and they closed down shortly afterwards.  I guess that in addition to shooting Frontiersman again I will have to give up on my dream of becoming a short order cook at The Waffle House and flipping some eggs fer you boys on your way to the match.    

• 2 weeks later...

Archived