SASS Wire Forum

Professional help for first time gun owners

Blackwater 53393

7 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

I doubt most of these new gun owners are going on YouTube looking for stuff like that. More likely the guns are already shoved away deep in the sock drawer waiting for little Timmy to find it one day.

Possibly so, but we as firearms owners can do what we can to educate when possible.

They google everything else!!  We can hope that they are smart enough to seek information on gun ownership and handling the same way.

Well let's hope so. As rabidly pro-2A as I am I can't help but cringe whenever I see some of the gun handling by new people at the LGS or public range. The decision to have a loaded gun in the house isn't one to be taken lightly, even by folks who claim they're familiar with firearms.

1 hour ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Well let's hope so. As rabidly pro-2A as I am I can't help but cringe whenever I see some of the gun handling by new people at the LGS or public range. The decision to have a loaded gun in the house isn't one to be taken lightly, even by folks who claim they're familiar with firearms.

Trust me, I agree with you. I work behind the firearms counter and it can be quite an eye opener. The best we can do is urge them to seek training.

3 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

They google everything else!!  We can hope that they are smart enough to seek information on gun ownership and handling the same way.

They know all they need to know from watching tv shows and movies.
Point the gun and it goes clickity click.
Then pull the trigger thingy.
Bad guy drops dead. Simple.

22 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I laugh, but sadly for some of them, this is very true!!

On 3/25/2020 at 4:08 PM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Reminds me of the lines from the Mask of Zorro, where Anthony Hopkins (Zorro) tries to teach Antonio Banderas how to use a sword:

Zorro: Do you know how to use that thing?

Banderas: Of course! The pointy end goes into the other man.

Zorro: <eyes roll>

On 3/25/2020 at 2:23 PM, Sixgun Sheridan said:

I can't help but cringe whenever I see some of the gun handling by new people at the LGS or public range.

It isn't just the new people.  I've seen some "Old Gun Hands" who would be poster boys for What Not To Do.

TV and Hollywood don't help much either!!

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2020 at 4:12 PM, Subdeacon Joe said:

It isn't just the new people.  I've seen some "Old Gun Hands" who would be poster boys for What Not To Do.

My second year shooting, I attended an annual and possed with an "Old Gun Hand." He really scared me. He was shooting GF and with the recoil and hot loads, he pointed the revolvers straight up. He was too feeble to be shooting anything but light loaded .38s with a two-handed grip.

Don't be that guy, with your ego telling everyone you shoot warthog loads when you are unable to handle the guns safely. :ph34r:

This was 2000 and I remember it like it was yesterday.

Archived