SASS Wire Forum

Receiving Delivery Packages and Covid-19

Outlaw Gambler

One of the many delivery carriers like UPS, FedEX, USPS, delivers a package to you. Do you take it from them, pick it up and take into your residence? You may have just handled a package that has the virus on it. Many people handle that package before it is delivered. 

I get boxes of guns, parts, and other items. I put them in quarantine based on the time frame that this chart shows that the virus can live on a surface. I have the item left outside and put into a shed for the allotted time before taking them to my shop to open. Here is the information as of now. 

Plastic mailing bags are the worse. Use rubber gloves to open and then dispose of the bags.

Be safe. 

New study indicates how long coronavirus can stay on surfaces

by: Monica Ricci

Posted: Mar 24, 2020 / 10:30 AM EDT / Updated: Mar 24, 2020 / 10:30 AM EDT
COVID19.jpg?resize=2560%2C1440&ssl=1

I have a large spray bottle of alcohol next to the door. Before a package comes into the house it gets sprayed....remains outside an hour or two.....then opened outside and individual content sprayed. If the sun is out, it is spread out in the sun for an hour or so.

My wife is a very susceptible to this virus with high probability of negative effects.

If I leave the house and go anywhere where folks might congregate, when I come home, she retires to her office and I undress in the laundry room and all my clothes are washed and the room sanitized.....

Not sure any of this helps, but it makes her feel better.....So what the heck!

Anything you touch outside your home could be contaminated. Stair hand rails, door handles, parking meters, everything in the grocery store, Rex bottles... 

Everything. Just remember to wash your hands constantly and don’t touch your face. Or somebody else’s face.

When you have the urge to fall down and curl up in a fetal position...don’t suck your thumb. I know. It’s hard. ;)

1 minute ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Anything you touch outside your home could be contaminated. Stair hand rails, door handles, parking meters, everything in the grocery store, Rex bottles... 

Everything. Just remember to wash your hands constantly and don’t touch your face. Or somebody else’s face.

When you have the urge to fall down and curl up in a fetal position...don’t suck your thumb. I know. It’s hard. ;)

Can’t suck my thumb? Damn!

1 minute ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

It's like a bad Michael Crichton movie.  The invisible virus spreads without any realistic hope of containment.  No effective countermeasures until its too late to do anything.  Politicians talking out of their rectal openings.  Mounting death tolls, accelerating infections.  Would somebody PLEASE cue the surprise ending, hopefully including the development of a wonder drug or the discovery that the virus dies when contacted by bubble bath?

LL

4 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Can’t suck my thumb? Damn!

Soak it in alcohol first. Repeatedly. :lol:

6 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Soak it in alcohol first. Repeatedly. :lol:

Should said alcohol be administered internally or externally?

4 hours ago, Outlaw Gambler said:

COVID19.jpg?resize=2560%2C1440&ssl=1

Thanks for posting!  Have to pick up meds from drugstore tomorrow.  Will wipe down with 70% isopropal alky, then leave outside for a couple-three days.  Some meds not covered by insurance because they are brandname.  Can't go to generic right now. :angry:  Am getting a 90-day supply, so it will be costly.  But what can you do.  I laugh when I think about those "survivalists" who stock up on so much ammo, camping gear, etc. Doesn't do much good if you run out of critical meds! <_<

Probably overdoing it, but I went down to the corner where our cluster mailbox is.  Put a large garbage bag on the back patio. Took a paper grocery sack, slit it down one side to hold the mail when I pulled it from the box.  Put on double vinyl gloves.  Put on a single use face mask over mouth and nose.  Put on a full face helmet so the spray from a can of Lysol(R) like Loophole showed.  Put on a pair of rubber gloves that come up higher than the vinyl ones.  Pulled the mail out of the box and placed it inside the paper bag.  Sprayed the inside of the mail box until the Lysol was running down the inside of the walls. Walked back to the house and went into the backyard where the open-grid table is located.  Dumped the mail out on the table and discarded the paper bag in the trash bag.  Threw out all the junk mail, most of which had been on the bottom of the pile, touching the bottom of the box. Sprayed a round tube with something in it with more Lysol.  Sprayed the rubber gloves.  Took them off, and the top layer of vinyl gloves, which went in the trash bag.  Closed it and tied it off, and took it out for the trash pickup, which happens to be tomorrow.  Took off the last layer and washed my hands thoroughly according to procedure I saw online from WHO or CDC.  The remaining two pieces of mail will stay out on the back table for a day or two.  Hopefully, that will do it,. :unsure:

Tomorrow I have to pick up my meds, even though the State of Colorado will go under lockdown at 8 am!

Ride careful, Pards!

I heard on our local news yesterday that the cruise ships that had all the COV-19 problems had left some rooms from infected people uncleaned and some of the hard surfaces tested positive  with the live virus 17 days after the rooms were sealed, good grief.   SCJ

16 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I guess I'm just gonna have to die.  I don't do any of those things and I feel better than I have in months.

Same here Forty although I do have hand sanitizer in my car but I've been doing that for years.

20 years ago I got a bacterial virus that was just plain awful! I've washing my hands and using hand sanitizer ever since!

UPS and FEDEX place my packages on our front porch.  They don't ring the doorbell like they did before.  When I see a delivery I bring it in and open it when I take the time to do so.

USPS.  They deliver between 2:00 PM and 4:00 PM.  At 4:30 PM I head for the mailbox.  Sort through it as I walk backup the drive.  Open it when I'm inside.

Nuts.  Wife sprays me down every chance she gets.  The hand sanitizer she replace the hand soap with must be 200 poof alcohol!  I've absord so much anti-china flu chemicals that I disinfect the stool every time I pee!

Am I the only one that is getting sick and tired of hearing this stuff. So far I have heard 3 different scenarios on how long the virus lasts on certain surfaces.

For cardboard alone I have heard 6 hours, 12 hours and 3 days.

If I get a delivery I treat it just like I always do. I open it wash my hands and move on.

If I am going to get this thing I want to get and get it over with. I don't want to be that guy that fights it off for months only to end up housed in a G'danged tent on a football field hooked up to an IV with a bunch of whiny arsed sick people and crapping in a porta-john.

#@$% That Noise!.

4 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Am I the only one that is getting sick and tired of hearing this stuff. So far I have heard 3 different scenarios on how long the virus lasts on certain surfaces.

For cardboard alone I have heard 6 hours, 12 hours and 3 days.

If I get a delivery I treat it just like I always do. I open it wash my hands and move on.

If I am going to get this thing I want to get and get it over with. I don't want to be that guy that fights it off for months only to end up housed in a G'danged tent on a football field hooked up to an IV with a bunch of whiny arsed sick people and crapping in a porta-john.

#@$% That Noise!.

+ 1

4 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Same here Forty although I do have hand sanitizer in my car but I've been doing that for years.

20 years ago I got a bacterial virus that was just plain awful! I've washing my hands and using hand sanitizer ever since!

I've been washing my hands since I was three years old.  Before that Mom washed them for me.  I'm honestly not doing anything I wasn't already doing except "social distancing" and that isn't for me, it's because everyone else is goosey as hell about close contact.

7 hours ago, Silver Creek Jack said:

I heard on our local news yesterday that the cruise ships that had all the COV-19 problems had left some rooms from infected people uncleaned and some of the hard surfaces tested positive  with the live virus 17 days after the rooms were sealed, good grief.   SCJ

They couldn't say for sure though that the virus had not been introduced by the cleanup people.

Archived