SASS Wire Forum

Saving Money During the Crisis

I have been retired since 2005 and live alone. My normal routine is to go to movies, eat out every day and shoot.
The movies are closed and the restaurants closed or limited to takeout. I have not cooked for at least ten years and keep no food in the house. I try to shoot Trap two, three, sometimes four times a week. Now that I cannot go to movies, cannot eat out every day and cannot shoot I am saving a LOT of money. During the crisis I did have to dip into my strategic reserve of Dinty Moore beef stew, Progresso soups and Mac and Cheese.

DSC_0001 (2).jpeg

Add SPAM to the larder, it’s hard to screw it up.

13 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

Add SPAM to the larder, it’s hard to screw it up.

That's because it's already screwed up... :D 

On a more serious note, I've been doing most of the cooking in our house for quite a while. When I was working, I was the first one home most evenings, and now that I'm retired, unless I'm off somewhere shooting, hunting or fishing I'm always home. Actually cooking, as opposed to microwave cooking, for one can save a lot of dough over eating out all of the time because you can make enough of something at one time to have several meals out of it. Plus you can eat healthier than you can eating the stuff that comes out of cans and boxes...

You don't have to fix anything elaborate to have a good meal...

When I was a kid some 50 years ago, give or take, Dad and I used to go camping at a fishing camp. We bought a can of Dinty Moore at the only tiny store for miles around and never opened it. Took it home, Mom decided to open it one day (she made the best stew in the known universe) and basically said YUUUCK! Gave it to the dogs. Dogs basically said YUUUUCK and we wound up raking it in the trash......and having to clean the dog bowl.

JHC:lol:

When I was a kid, I helped my dad cut white oak timber to eventually become whiskey barrels.  For lunch every day we had a can of Van Camp pork and beans,  a half loaf of Wonder bread and a can of Treet canded ham. (Cheaper than SPAM) He'd wipe off the blade of his pocket knife on a clean spot of his pants leg and slice the Treet on a fresh cut white oak stump. He'd make himself one sandwich and I'd eat the rest. I was skinny as a tomato stake and a bottomless pit. 

When people complain about their food choices,  I tell them they've just not hungry enough. 

No need to cook almost all restaurants have carry out, go pick it up. 

Just now, Hillbilly Drifter said:

why not cook?

The OP said he used to go out every night to eat I’m just reminding him he doesn’t have to cook. 

20 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Most restaurants will deliver. :)

Not where we live. I don't mean to sound negative. I love it here.

Larson, I miss our opulent (?) dinners out at the Convention. I especially liked Lawry's in Las Vegas. I never would have eaten at Morton's (in San Antonio or anywhere) if you hadn't gone with me. You are a good man/friend!

I LOVE Double Stuffed OREOs, frozen.  Because I'm diabetic, I don't buy them more than about once a year.  When I opened the bag on the most recent purchase, I was ANGRY!!  What they're selling a double stuffed are what we used to get a regular OREOs!  What they sell for regular ones have almost no cream filling from what I'm told.  AND!!!  Schoolmarm SWEARS that the cookie is smaller as well!!  I don't doubt it!!  STILL!!!  It took me almost two weeks to polish off the bag.

Me 'n' Schoolmarm both cook and cook pretty well.  I even bake and make other desserts too!!  If these take out places delivered for free, we'd consider using their services.  I don't mind tipping the delivery person, but if the bill includes a delivery fee, it isn't worth the difference too us.  I can usually drive to the place and pick it up cheaper than what they charge to deliver and one of us can generally fix something better and more satisfying and cheaper besides!!!

OH!!  Spam and biscuits with eggs and sliced tomato is a great breakfast now and then!!! :P :wub:

32 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Not where we live. I don't mean to sound negative. I love it here.

Larson, I miss our opulent (?) dinners out at the Convention. I especially liked Lawry's in Las Vegas. I never would have eaten at Morton's (in San Antonio or anywhere) if you hadn't gone with me. You are a good man/friend!

Well actually I shouldn't have said most restaurants deliver,:blush: I meant they all have take out and there's Door Dash for $5.00 they'll pick it up and deliver it from just about anywhere. They're are a couple other food delivery apps too. Order on the phone, pay through the app and the it's delivered to your door!

4 hours ago, Hillbilly Drifter said:

why not cook?

That's what Jerry Reed said in one of he's song,  Why didn't I just learned to cook.

On 3/24/2020 at 11:30 PM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Most restaurants will deliver. :)

That is probably the only good thing about being stuck here in the city. Back home we are 30 miles from a restaurant. No delivery.

With just me at home I gave up cooking a long time ago.  As soon as I walk into several local eateries they bring me my food.  I never take home "leftovers" as after a month in the frig it is called garbage.  I have gone to a couple of small local places for take out just to help them out and make sure they make it throught the next few weeks.  I have gone to the store during "senior" hours and gotten a few TV dinners to add to the canned goods.  Unfortunately between the Dinty Moore, Oreos and Nilla waffers I am gaining back some weight.

15 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

I wonder how many have maxed out their credit cards buying toilets paper and guns and ammo?  Gunshops around here are doing land office business. 

Gun shops around here are CLOSED by order of the Governor.  But liquor stores are open.

LL

On 3/24/2020 at 9:17 PM, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

DSC_0001 (2).jpeg

It's hoarders like you, Larsen, who make it tough on the rest of us.  Nobody needs that much food.  You should be ashamed! :P

17 hours ago, Cheatin Charlie said:

We have spam several times a year, sliced thin and fried like ham with eggs.  They love it in Hawaii.

https://www.thehawaiiplan.com/why-do-hawaiians-love-spam/

I sold my land in Hawaai because I couldn't stand the smell of the SPAM.   Well, that and got about 15 times what I paid for in just three years.  :D

Archived