1 hour ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

No; but a public health emergency.

LL

So it’s been called.

Cat Brules

17 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

No; but a public health emergency.

LL

That means the Sheeple will flock together to agree with an unConstitutional seizure. 

Sorry; but I do not see this as a seizure or as unconstitutional.  NH is a primarily rural state; it cannot suddenly create buildings adequate to serve as emergency hospitals.  The state has a duty to do all that it reasonably can to protect its citizens.  The schools are closed due to the pandemic, and not in use.  Allowing the state to use a locally owned facility, on an emergency basis, for the good of the population, is not an unconstitutional seizure in my view.  And even less so if me or mine were ill in NH and needed help.

The best thing about this whole issue is that the constitutionality issue will not interrupt treatment and care for ill persons; if anyone wants to litigate the issue, it will probably only occur after the fact.

As fond as I am of the black letter of the law, I am equally fond of humanitarian responses to this situation.  

LL

6 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Sorry; but I do not see this as a seizure or as unconstitutional.  ...

LL

"Governor Sunumu has ordered Nashua High School..."

If the Governor asked the school district for permission, I wouldn't have a problem.  OP states "ordered" and if that is correct then I object (for what's worth).

If a Governor can, then your house, my house and/or any non-state owned building can be "borrowed" or "seized" when a Governor wants too?

1 hour ago, Matthew Duncan said:

"Governor Sunumu has ordered Nashua High School..."

If the Governor asked the school district for permission, I wouldn't have a problem.  OP states "ordered" and if that is correct then I object (for what's worth).

If a Governor can, then your house, my house and/or any non-state owned building can be "borrowed" or "seized" when a Governor wants too?

The Courts in NH and elsewhere are going to give Governors acting under emergency powers wide latitude in this emergency.

See a similar case in NH recently, where the plaintiffs challenged the Governor's power to limit public gatherings as an infringement of 1st Amendment rights; the judge upheld the Governor's action under his emergency powers to fight a public health danger.

https://www.wmur.com/article/judge-rules-sununu-can-ban-gatherings-under-emergency-powers/31815077

Believe me, I understand your reluctance to give away rights to satisfy a short term concern; but these are not permanent actions; no private homes have been seized, nor is it likely that they would be; and there seems to be a public consensus that there is a pressing need to assist those who have been infected - and to do so immediately.

LL

Archived