SASS Wire Forum

Information for 110g 38spl RNFP with Trail Boss

Rube Burrows

I am sure it has been asked here plenty times but I have not been able to find it in the search. I have also been looking on google and could not find anything. 

I am normally a 45 Colt shooter but picked up some 110g RNFP bullets and most of my powder is Trail Boss. I can't find a TB load for nothing out here on the web. 

Anyone have any info on a load for this type of bullet and Trail Boss? 

Sorry.  I don't like Trail Boss and have never loaded it in anything after initially testing the stuff.  As such, I am of absolutely no help to the OP.  However, I am stuck indoors, and am BORED TO TEARS.  Hence my reply to the OP's question.

Now, if the OP were to ask the same question pertaining to either 2f or 3f APP, I might could be of some further assistance.  Since the OP did not ask about APP, you may ignore my reply and I shan't be offended in the least.  Stay Clam and Carry Ann.

https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol has load data for 90g and 125g.  I've loaded for 110g in the past using 4.0g of TB which is a midrange load for both 90g and 125g.  Pleasant shooting and accurate enough for CAS.

10 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Sorry.  I don't like Trail Boss and have never loaded it in anything after initially testing the stuff.  As such, I am of absolutely no help to the OP.  However, I am stuck indoors, and am BORED TO TEARS.  Hence my reply to the OP's question.

Now, if the OP were to ask the same question pertaining to either 2f or 3f APP, I might could be of some further assistance.  Since the OP did not ask about APP, you may ignore my reply and I shan't be offended in the least.  Stay Clam and Carry Ann.

Well at least you got to fill a couple seconds of your time indoors by posting. Thanks. 

5 minutes ago, Ozark Shark said:

https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol has load data for 90g and 125g.  I've loaded for 110g in the past using 4.0g of TB which is a midrange load for both 90g and 125g.  Pleasant shooting and accurate enough for CAS.

Thanks. I did see their loads there. I assumed that 4.0g of TB would be okay but figured I would check to see what others were using. I had used the 125g for a while and even some heavier bullets. This is the smallest I have ever shot in .38. 

When I shoot smokeless, I'm running 105g with 3.5g TB unless I'm shooting knockdowns.  Cheaper to load and still goes clang.  For knockdowns, I use the 125g with 5g of TB just to be certain.

You could use their formula to calculate it:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://imrpowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/trail-boss-reduced-loads-r_p.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjv6eqV87PoAhViiOAKHZhxAI4QFjAAegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw36_OGGZV785lkqWrnoGv37

This formula may be used in both rifle and pistol applications:
Find where the base of the bullet to be loaded is located in the case and make a mark on the outside of the case at 
this location. Then fill the case to that mark with Trail Boss, pour into the scale pan and weigh. This is your 
maximum load. Pressures will be below the maximum allowed for this cartridge and perfectly safe to use!
Take 70% of this powder charge weight (multiply the maximum load from step 1 by .7), and that is your starting 
load.
Start with this beginning load and work up to your maximum charge, all the while searching for the most accurate 
reduced load. Once found, the fun begins!

32 minutes ago, Ozark Shark said:

When I shoot smokeless, I'm running 105g with 3.5g TB unless I'm shooting knockdowns.  Cheaper to load and still goes clang.  For knockdowns, I use the 125g with 5g of TB just to be certain.

Thanks for the info. 

25 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

You could use their formula to calculate it:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://imrpowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/trail-boss-reduced-loads-r_p.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjv6eqV87PoAhViiOAKHZhxAI4QFjAAegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw36_OGGZV785lkqWrnoGv37

This formula may be used in both rifle and pistol applications:
Find where the base of the bullet to be loaded is located in the case and make a mark on the outside of the case at 
this location. Then fill the case to that mark with Trail Boss, pour into the scale pan and weigh. This is your 
maximum load. Pressures will be below the maximum allowed for this cartridge and perfectly safe to use!
Take 70% of this powder charge weight (multiply the maximum load from step 1 by .7), and that is your starting 
load.
Start with this beginning load and work up to your maximum charge, all the while searching for the most accurate 
reduced load. Once found, the fun begins!

Gotcha. Thanks for the link and info pard. 

soooooo......    I have not used Trail Boss yet.  I shoot 38 Special -125's so finding load data isnt hard but I am wondering what reason folks might have for NOT using Trail Boss for a 38 Special CAS load.   I have used Clays and 231 with very good results from both so I dont have a reason to use something else right now - I am just curious about the why's and why nots of Trail Boss for CAS loads......

Just now, Chuck Steak said:

soooooo......    I have not used Trail Boss yet.  I shoot 38 Special -125's so finding load data isnt hard but I am wondering what reason folks might have for NOT using Trail Boss for a 38 Special CAS load.   I have used Clays and 231 with very good results from both so I dont have a reason to use something else right now - I am just curious about the why's and why nots of Trail Boss for CAS loads......

Reasons to use:

Fills the case well and helps prevent double charges.

Light recoil.

Reasons not to use:

Stinks

Dirty

More expensive

I only use it in 38-55 or 45-70. I really don't like it in pistol calibers, but then again I shoot BP 98% of the time.

15 minutes ago, Chuck Steak said:

Some people don't like to keep too many powders on hand.  You mentioned Clays.  It is good for both metallic cartridges and shotgun shells used for CAS.  (I stand by waiting for OLG to tout his favorite dual use powder.)

I use Trail Boss for 105gr light loads for my wife.
TB burns 100% in a revolver length barrel.
Low pressure loads will be dirty from lack of complete cartridge seal in the cylinder.
Expensive, indeed $30 per pound, a bit less from Powder Valley.
Fluffy, fills the case more than any other powder.

I keep Clays in stock for both revolver and shotgun.
Clays is about 73% the price of Trail Boss.
IMR Red is even less at 62% the price of Trail Boss, and is similar to Clays for revolvers and shotgun.

Oh for "Pete's Sake"   I give up.  Here it is.  A partial stolen line from everybody I shoot APP "in everything" so I suggest skipping the overweight 110Gr bullets and drop to my fave, the 105Gr "Snakebite" with 2f APP to the bullet base.

Posted just in case the OP does come back and ask about APP.  Also have a fine load for the 105Gr Snakebite from some year past.  Past 'cause I don't shoot ANY smokeless any more.

2 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Reasons to use:

Fills the case well and helps prevent double charges.

Light recoil.

Reasons not to use:

Stinks

Dirty

More expensive

I only use it in 38-55 or 45-70. I really don't like it in pistol calibers, but then again I shoot BP 98% of the time.

What would be a good alternative for the CAS pistol calibers that burns cleaner and is less expensive? 

Just now, Rube Burrows said:

What would be a good alternative for the CAS pistol calibers that burns cleaner and is less expensive? 

Right off the top of my head: 

Clay's,

Red dot,

Unique, 

W231,

HP38,

Shooters World Clean Shot,

700x

Titegroup

Clays is excellent for the 38 special and many others.  Power factor needs to be 60 or greater.  Try 2.9 grains of clays with your 110, or 3.3 grains of TB with your 110 since you already have it.  Pick a load, practice a whole bunch and remember your front sight.  I would use up your TB and see if you like it.  There is a post on the wire of favorite 38 special loads.  Many of the responses are from great shooters.  You do not have to reinvent anything.  It is all there.

21 minutes ago, Kirk James said:

Clays is excellent for the 38 special and many others.  Power factor needs to be 60 or greater.  Try 2.9 grains of clays with your 110, or 3.3 grains of TB with your 110 since you already have it.  Pick a load, practice a whole bunch and remember your front sight.  I would use up your TB and see if you like it.  There is a post on the wire of favorite 38 special loads.  Many of the responses are from great shooters.  You do not have to reinvent anything.  It is all there.

Thanks for the info. I have loaded thousands of 45 with trail boss. Its just what I started with and bought a lot back then that I am still using. 

Let's back up and take a closer look at something, cleanliness.  If you've already loaded and shot thousands of 45s with Trail Boss then you're no stranger to how clean or dirty it shoots.  You're really not going to see much difference when you switch to 38s. My opinion is to not worry about that at all.  Just load and shoot whatcha got.  ;)

I know people using 3 grains with a 105 all the way up to 4 grains. TB gets really dirty in the basement and burns cleaner if you don't go really light. 

I think for SASS it's a great powder if you don't load it too light....light recoil and great case volume for larger cases. The only reason I stopped using it was it cost more per pound and loads less rounds per pound. If other powders like Reddot & Clays (for 38's) didn't work just as well and cost less I'd probably still be using TB.

Load 2.7g in both 105 and 125 bullets. Low 640 and 750 factors. Exact numbers at home. Like TB being new at loading. Crimps just below groove to about 1.465 in to be reliable in my 73. Pistol doesn’t care. Sorry, that was for 38sp.  45LC 200 g bullet and 5.7 TB

On 3/24/2020 at 7:08 PM, Shooting Bull said:

Let's back up and take a closer look at something, cleanliness.  If you've already loaded and shot thousands of 45s with Trail Boss then you're no stranger to how clean or dirty it shoots.  You're really not going to see much difference when you switch to 38s. My opinion is to not worry about that at all.  Just load and shoot whatcha got.  ;)

I don't mind it however; not really loading with many different types of powder I would not know if its extra dirty or not. I am find with how it is but once this runs out if there is a cleaner option I may consider it. 

Archived