SASS Wire Forum

Real or TV - DA and Cops

Alpo

I am fully aware that television makes stuff up. Sheriff Andy Taylor was the county sheriff - an elected position. But in at least two episodes he was afraid of the mayor firing him. The mayor of a town has no authority over the sheriff of the county, but that didn't matter. It was a TV script.

So there's this Castle episode. Juror on a murder trial was poisoned. Rich guy's daughter had been killed, and he wanted "Justice!". The DA was going to run for mayor, and he wanted campaign contributions. Putting the career criminal, who was on trial for the murder, in jail would get the rich guy to contribute to his campaign. He did not want to hear that the career criminal did not do it, and the dead juror had evidence that the career criminal did not do it, which is why the DA murdered the juror.

At one point in their investigation, the cops brought in the DA's personal secretary for questioning. The DA came down to the station, extremely upset.

At one point he told Castle, "I'm the guy that can get you kicked out of here".

Thus my question - does the District Attorney have any authority over the police department? I know that the police commissioner could have kicked Castle out. The mayor could have. But the DA?

The juror should not have been on the jury because he had knowledge of the case, the DA could have handled it elsewise, but then no story.

DA could only have used his pull with the chief.

but what do I know? Holiday Inn Express is closed this week.

Archived