SASS Wire Forum

12 ga load

cajun bandit

I found the green duster from down range is a great fit with 17.5g of clays.  Win primer, 7/8 shot, aahs hull.  This is about 1250 fps. Other 1 oz wads will work too, but I liked the green duster the best.   The aahs seems to like a wad that is 1/8 heavier than the actual load.   Red dot, clay dot, promo will all work at the same drop.  Extra lite will work if you go a little lighter on the drop.   Have probably loaded 2-3k of these.  

Use Clays.  Not clay.

Try 14.5 - 15 grains Clays, no compression with a Claybusters CB-1078 gray wad, and Winchester 209 primer in your Win AAs with 7/8 ounce shot.  Loaded several hundreds of those and they are lighter than the old Featherlites. Maybe 900 FPS.  Made a good load for recoil sensitive shooter, but took down any KD shotgun target.  And would reset inertial trigger in an Ithaca/SKB double.

Good luck, GJ

I chrono'd a few loads a while back and a 27 bushing on a MEC with Clays/ CB1100 wad/ 1 oz of shot was 1000FPS which is a tad hotter than a featherlite. If I remember correctly that threw 15 grains of Clays so I think Garrison Joe is right on the money if you are trying to mock that load. 

You can go lower and people do but it won't be the same load if that's yer' goal. 

1 hour ago, Cowboy Junky said:

I chrono'd a few loads a while back and a 27 bushing on a MEC with Clays/ CB1100 wad/ 1 oz of shot was 1000FPS which is a tad hotter than a featherlite. If I remember correctly that threw 15 grains of Clays so I think Garrison Joe is right on the money if you are trying to mock that load. 

You can go lower and people do but it won't be the same load if that's yer' goal. 

Yep, I'm getting 15.2 grains with my #27 bushing, using CB1100 wad and 1oz of shot as well.

Clays Superlite shotshell:
Worked this out with a Hodgdon's tech on the phone.
AA or Remington Hull
Win 209 Primer
13.9 grains Clays (MEC #25)
grey wad
7/8 ounce shot
Lighter than a featherlite shell
Knocks 'em down every time
--Dawg

12 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Try 14.5 - 15 grains Clays, no compression with a Claybusters CB-1078 gray wad, and Winchester 209 primer in your Win AAs with 7/8 ounce shot.  Made a good load for recoil sensitive shooter, but took down any KD shotgun target.

GJ: have you experimented at all with 3/4 oz loads?

I'm looking at 14.5 gr Clays, STS hulls, Fed 209A, CB0175-12 wad.
This is slightly hotter than the minimum of 14.1 grains

4 hours ago, bgavin said:

have you experimented at all with 3/4 oz loads?

Nope.  For cowboy and WB, I just shoot my Sporting Clays load, which is 1 ounce at 1200 FPS.  Hah! 

No KD target gets a pass from me.  I like a little recoil from my shotguns.  Lean into them and shoot.  When one shoots 250 rounds of Clays shells a day, what's a box full at a SASS match?

Good luck, GJ

Nothing magic about a Mec Bushing size number, and not all that much about it being a standard. 

What makes the shotgun shell work is the WEIGHT of powder you put in.   You might want to get in the habit of talking powder weight rather than the bushing.  That way, if you use a different lot of Clays powder next month with a different specific density, you will know that your machine is dropping too light or too heavy powder amounts, because you check weigh a few drops when you change powder lots.

Good luck, GJ

IMHO for what we do the bushing is accurate enough IF you stay with the same powder. I know when my wife started we used a 19 bushing with Clays & 1 oz of shot/ CB1100 in my efforts to "make the shotgun great again" for and she went from hating it to loving it. 

In time I weaned her up to a 21 and I was using the 27. So that's a 11.? to 15.? grain spread with the same wad & shot so I don't think the lot number of the powder (for what we do) is really an issue since we aren't timing our shots, shooting straight on or pushing the top of the loading data. Even the clay poppers at the distance we shoot are unaffected by the FPS change at that distance. 

The 19 bushing loads will still reset the triggers in her Dirt Merchant SKB 100 too.........but not in mine. 

I use 1oz shot and 15-16 grs of Clay with the pink wads. It’s about the same as Win AA featherlight maybe a tad hotter but I’m a real man!!:P

Clays, Promo are a couple of powders where if all you remember is the bushing number, you will sooner or later get surprised.  In our game, the surprise is a stuck wad, not a blown gun (usually).   Or an SKB that fails to switch trigger to other barrel.   Both of which can be a real tear jerker if they happen.

Clays because of the switch from ADI in Australia making the older production (before plant fire), and Canadian plant making it after.  The density of the powder changed some with that switch.

Promo because EACH lot is blended with left-over powder to work to the same WEIGHT as Red Dot.   This means the bushing will change if you maintain the same weight of powder, because Promo density is known to be changing with each lot.

Good luck, GJ

I use Promo.  (1 oz., pink wad, about 14 grains) When I open a new jug, I check the weight and change the bushing, if necessary.  

Larry  

Have been shooting Claybuster CB0175-12 3/4 oz loads with their recommended 15.0-16.0 gr of Red Dot and think it's great.  Low recoil but they rate it at 1200 fps and it hammers targets.   Works for  AA, Gold Medal and STS/ Gun Club          GW

Archived