SASS Wire Forum

2020 Census

Rye Miles #13621

Anyone else get their 2020 Census form? You can fill it out online, it's super easy! 

my2020census.gov

They asked race, not nationality.

I suppose that would have made sense in the early 1800s, when black people only counted as a half a person, and Indians were not considered at all.

But it does not matter what color you are, and has not mattered for a hundred and fifty years. Why do they want to know?

If I tell them I am black, do they want to know if I am Zulu or Bantu or Watusi? Because I noticed that when I tell them I am white they wanted to know if I am English or French or German.

There are only three races. Caucasoid. Negroid. And Mongoloid. It seems like "White" should be a sufficient answer.

37 minutes ago, Alpo said:

There are only three races. Caucasoid. Negroid. And Mongoloid. It seems like "White" should be a sufficient answer.

Really?

the indigenous peoples of the American continents?  Native Hawaiians, Pacific Islanders? The aboriginals of Australia?

I was disappointed to discover we had to do it on-line... I'd planned on clearly printing on my form "U S Citizen!"   :FlagAm:

35 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I did it online last week and got another one in the mail today. :wacko:

For fun you should mail it in with all different answers.

15 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Really?

the indigenous peoples of the American continents?  Native Hawaiians, Pacific Islanders? The aboriginals of Australia?

I thought all the "indigenous people" of at least N America were all extinct.

kR

15 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Anyone else get their 2020 Census form? You can fill it out online, it's super easy! 

my2020census.gov

Got mine and did it online within 30 minutes.

I didn't answer one question because I didn't want to confuse anyone.  I consider myself a "native American" (My father's family has been on this continent since nine years after the Mayflower landed), but not an Indigenous American.

That one question was poorly conceived.  White, but then you have to nail it down?   That may be great if you are first generation from French, German, or English parents.  As far as I know, there is German, French, Irish, English and even some American Plains Indian (either 1/8 or 1/16, depending on who you ask, despite the fact that by looking at me you would never guess it) in my blood.    With such an unknown mixture, I simply answered "American".

21 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Really?

Scientifically, everyone falls into one of those 3 groups.

I marked “White”...

In the box I put “American”.

I did not differentiate between European areas or countries. Hell, the DNA folks keep changing my percentages every few months. Really looking forward to when they tell me they made a mistake and I am really just a Mutt...

“Mutt“! That is what I should have put in the box. :D

I stopped answering questions online when they asked my name. (That was the first question) That's as far as I got.

I'll wait for a form to come in the mail.

10 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Scientifically, everyone falls into one of those 3 groups.

Perhaps. There is strong evidence that the indigenous Americans left the “cradle of civilization “ before even the Chinese. Maybe in the next century the question will be resolved.

On 3/23/2020 at 6:38 PM, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I did it online last week and got another one in the mail today. :wacko:

Me too, same same!

22 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I marked “White”...

In the box I put “American”.

I did not differentiate between European areas or countries. Hell, the DNA folks keep changing my percentages every few months. Really looking forward to when they tell me they made a mistake and I am really just a Mutt...

“Mutt“! That is what I should have put in the box. :D

Sounds classier than "cur".  :P

2 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Sounds classier than "cur".  :P

You are correct. You are one of a kind. I couldn’t possibly use your self descriptor. :P:D:lol:

On 3/23/2020 at 3:42 PM, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

..... under the question of "nationality" select "other" and then specify "HUMAN" ........ (unless that is already in the selection) ...

That could be questionable in some cases, Jack. 

I be waiting for the form in the mail , they get 1 answer , shoot it back at em 

then the person shows , up , gets the same 

supervisor shows up , same , 

sooner or later they go away , with only what I told em , in the first place 

CB 

getting tired of over reach :ph34r:

Archived