SASS Wire Forum

Do you put slaw on your sammiches?

Alpo

I am originally from Memphis, Tennessee, but have lived in Texas for several decades.  Memphis BBQ features cole slaw on the buns of the BBQ chopped pork sandwiches.  I love 'em, but don't get to eat them in Texas.  I also like Texas BBQ. 

8 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

A really great eatery in my neck of the woods not only puts the Slaw on the Sandwich, they also put the French Fries (fresh made, skin on) in the Sandwich.  Plenty of meat too.  Some work to eat though.

Primantis Brothers

FA5528FC-C313-4AF2-AB52-14297799847F.jpeg

That's the only time I eat the stuff.

Most local places will chop the pulled pork up fine, mix the slaw into the meat and then top it with whatever the house made sauce you ordered (mild, hot or mixed).  A couple places will add a couple pickle slices, too.  I just tell them how many bbq sandwiches (around here, BBQ is pork unless otherwise specified), hot and with slaw.  A couple of them (unless they are the little ones from Clearview- then it's 3 or 4), a bag of Lay's and a large Sweet Tea has been lunch more than once.

Don't try to order it in Maryland.  They look at you funny or you end up with a side of cole slaw instead of a couple spoonfuls on your sandwich.  Don't even mention Brunswick Stew because they don't know what it is much less sell it.  (Think Kentucky style burgoo but made with chicken instead of game).

Brunswick stew. That's a good memory.

Mule Camp. 2002, when it was still held at Cherokee. The Friday meal was BBQ, and I'm sitting there in the big tent slurping it down. I had just emptied my plate and was contemplating a second helping, when this fellow sitting across from me points to the little cup and says, "What is this?"

I tell him it's Brunswick Stew, and he says that he saw that on the menu, "but what IS it?"

I say, "Where you from?" (Note: I have never heard anyone in the South say YOU AIN'T FROM AROUND HERE, ARE YOU. I believe that to be an invention of Yankee scriptwriters. Whenever anybody I know is talking to a furiner, we ask WHERE YOU FROM, ANYWAYS?)

Ohio.

"Okay. It's meat, taters, corn, maters and baby lima beans."

He tasted a spoonful. "Hey, this is good!"

Swallowed another spoonful. "What kind of meat is it?"

Squirrel.

The third spoon stopped halfway up. "Squirrel?"

I'm getting up to go get another plate, but my daughter, Hazel Honeybee (sitting next to me) says, "Uh huh", as she's slurping hers down.

When I get back with my second (or maybe it was my third) plateful, he had gotten the spoon up to his mouth and was chewing away. "This is the first time I've ever had squirrel. It's not bad."

I tell him, "Well, in the original recipe it was squirrel. This is poor folks food. But most likely this is chicken."

He went up for a second plateful, including more Brunswick Stew.

I don't put it on sammiches cause it makes them too sloppy.  Same reason I often forgo mayo and mustard (though those can generally be done soas to not be sloppy).  But if I'm having something from a bowl, like rice and beans, I'll mix in the slaw.  I've put it in stew too.  There aint nothing I won't mix in a good slaw with if it's available.

15 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

OK after 4 minutes of thought, I thought of ice cream.  I wouldn't mix slaw in with that unless it was on a dare. 

Not even then.

This from a guy who tried caviar on chocolate cake on a dare.

I prefer my slaw as a side, because like chopped lettuce it falls off a sandwich easily onto my shirt.  However, it is plenty tasty on a sandwich.  I buy a few heads of cabbage on sale every St. Patricks Day and make slaw out of them.  It will keep my family eating fresh vegetables during the current stay home order.  With so many tasty slaw recipes we won't get tired of it.

When I was a kid every meal we had potato salad or cole slaw. Every picnic with relatives, who's making the potato salad, who's making the cole slaw. 

Good grief I couldn't wait to get away from my crazy relatives that had to eat potato salad and cole slaw with every meal. I ain't eatin' any more cole slaw or potato salad if I don't have to. And, I like corned beef n' cabbage, I like potatoes when they are hot and cooked. Keep that cold crap off my burgers, barbecue, and hot dogs.

My folks are from the South and I was born in Louisiana, everyone from the South doesn't eat the same stuff. We couldn't agree on how to cook a mess of squirrels, I'm not going to pile cole slaw on my squirrel and dumpling's either. 

16 hours ago, Major General Shagnasty said:

Forget the sammich give a bucket of KFC slaw.

I agree.  However,  because KFC has taken The Colonel from a well spoken,  well mannered gentleman into a loud,  obnoxious vulgarian my wife and I are having nothing to do with them.   About every two months I send an email complaining about the change. 

3 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I agree.  However,  because KFC has taken The Colonel from a well spoken,  well mannered gentleman into a loud,  obnoxious vulgarian my wife and I are having nothing to do with them.   About every two months I send an email complaining about the change. 

I quite eating at KFC in the '70s after visiting a very fly-infested franchise.  I like fried chicken but won't touch flyed chicken.  There are competitors serving very tasty alternatives.

21 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

ha ha, sorry to bust your bubble, but the self proclained Colonel was charged with manslauter over a gas war murder. He spent time but was released when the charges were dropped and changed to self defence. He was never a Colonel,  after he sold the right's to the receipt, the company retained him and dressed him up and gave him a script.  Sorry.

Just now, Major General Shagnasty said:

has ha, sorry to bust your bubble, but the self proclained Colonel was charged with manslauter offer a gas war murder. He spent time but was released when the charges were dropped and changed to self defence. He was never a Colonel,  after he sold the right's to the receipt, the company retained him and dressed him up and gave him a script.  Sorry.

He still presented in the commercials as a gentleman.

18 hours ago, Major General Shagnasty said:

after he sold the right's to the receipt,

My brother in law's family says he stole the recipe from them.  His grandmother used to be a drinking buddy of the colonel.  She taught him how to make fried chicken with her family's recipe to impress a woman.  My sister got the recipe when she married into the family.  She's pretty good at frying chicken, so they had a bunch of people over and did a side by side taste test and no one could tell the difference. 

Archived