SASS Wire Forum

Do you put slaw on your sammiches?

Alpo

I used to work with a guy who came from North Carolina. Ricky put coleslaw on his barbecue sandwiches.

In the movie HOW TO MARRY A MILLIONAIRE, they are in New York City and at the hamburger stand there were bowls of coleslaw on the counter, and everyone put slaw on their hamburger.

And I have heard, though I have never seen it either for real or on the silver screen, of a "slaw dog", which I presume is people putting coleslaw on their hot dog.

Just seems strange to me. Coleslaw is supposed to be on the plate, eaten with a fork.

What do y'all put coleslaw on?

Why do you NOT put slaw on your sammiches ??

Just this past Saturday my family had chili cheese slaw dogs for supper.

The Carolina Style Chili Cheese Slaw Dog...  is simply a thing of culinary beauty

Pulled pork with slaw... ALSO a thing of beauty

Carolina Burger... (notice, I felt no need to mention 'with slaw' becasue, well, Carolina Burger))

In fact - have you ever heard of the "Carolina Classic" from Wendy's  ???

It is perfectly acceptable to have slaw on your plate as a side dish to be eaten with a fork  The slaw on your burger, dog, or BBQ does not count against your side dish tally since they are components of the sammich.

1 minute ago, Chuck Steak said:

Why do you NOT put slaw on your sammiches ??

Probably the same reason I do not put potato salad on my sammiches, or green beans, or Caesar salad. It is a side dish, not a condiment.

Potato Salad on a sammich ??

That's barbaric - why would anyone put a side dish on a sammich !!!

Potato salad on hotdogs and hamburgers is just plain crazy talk. 

...but overall, slaw is just sauerkraut that hasn't been fermented.  A Rueben sandwich becomes a 'Rachel' if you swap the slaw and 'kraut

Cole slaw is a side dish. People selling sandwiches screw you over when the put less meat on the sandwich and cover it with Cole slaw.

Guy at WR was selling Po Boy's and he piled it full of Cole slaw, just so he didn't have to use more shrimp. It's a scam!

3 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

I don’t.  Wife does.

Southern women.

:rolleyes:

Same here.

Wife loves it on a pulled pork sandwich.

She will also eat it as a side dish.

Me I don't care for cabbage in any form.

Sorry guys, cole slaw isn't as bad as beets but is nasty to me. I wouldn't add cole slaw to anything. If you have to add that to a burger, you must have a burger that isn't worth eating to begin with.

How about mayonnaise?

I don't remember where I was - I think I was in my twenties so that's 40 years ago - but I was served a pulled pork sandwich. It came on light bread (instead of a hamburger bun) and they had spread mayonnaise on the bread before they put BBQ down.

I ate it, because I was raised to be polite and eat what was put before me. But it was weird.

12 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I don’t care for coleslaw.

How about Cabbage Salad?
1/2 medium Fresh Cabbage
2 medium Cucumbers
1 tbsp White Vinegar
1 tbsp Olive oil (Sunflower Oil is also an awesome option)
Salt & Pepper to taste
1/2 cup Dill diced; Optional
1 cup Green Onions diced; Optional

I especially like coleslaw on any seafood taco.  No slaw on my burger!  For most sandwiches it’s a side dish.  If it isn’t vinegar slaw, I’ll eat it on a BBQ sandwich that’s served that way. 

North Georgia, (and maybe the rest of the state) is notorious for slaw on dogs, including chili dogs!! When I lived there, I found that it actually helped some of the, shall we say, cheaper low quality dogs. Put slaw on one of those and chili too and you could eat it without noticing how bad the dog really was.

Creamy coleslaw is great as a side dish with chicken, seafood, most any cold cut sandwich, and with plated BBQ.

I don’t much care for vinegar coleslaw at all.  Maybe with sweet BBQ chicken with certain oriental dishes, but easy on the vinegar.

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

How about Cabbage Salad?
1/2 medium Fresh Cabbage
2 medium Cucumbers
1 tbsp White Vinegar
1 tbsp Olive oil (Sunflower Oil is also an awesome option)
Salt & Pepper to taste
1/2 cup Dill diced; Optional
1 cup Green Onions diced; Optional

Just too much for one person and not the kind of thing I would have more than twice a week, by the second week it has begun to spoil. And the other half cabbage?

In many drive-inn places, like SONIC, a slaw dog can be ordered.

Indeed, in my Southern style of living, I actually love slaw on hotdogs, along with chile.

YES, its called a Slaw Dog.

And I also love in on BBQ sammich and love it with pinto beans.

Good slaw is good with most anything.

..........Widder

Cole Slaw on;

Hot dogs with chili
Hot dogs with chili, kraut and mustard

Pork sammiches 

Hamburgers

Green salad for some added crunch and zing with Ranch dressing. 
Fish tacos

Beef tacos, no cheese or tomatoes 

Slaw works as a dip for potato chips in a pinch...or if you’re hammered. 

Now, we’re talking slaw made with vinegar, mayo, salt and pepper. No sugar.
Caveat: I will accept slaw with sugar in it if It’s served with a smile. :)

I never put slaw on a sandwich, but I’ll eat it separately, as a side dish.

Cat Brules

If you had room on my pulled pork sammich for slaw, put more pulled pork.  

I'm not a fan of slaw on sandwiches, and especially not a fan of mayo based dressing on slaw.  

I have to specifically order my pulled pork sandwiches without slaw here in Alabama.  If you don't say something, you get it.  

Don't care for slaw dogs, or hotdogs and kraut.  Do like a chili dog (with lots of chopped onion, mustard and cheese). 

I put slaw on my pulled pork. Haven't tried it on other sammiches, but I would. Went to Martinsville, VA for NASCAR races. Their normal hot dog is red red with I believe Kraut. Excellent dog.

18 hours ago, Alpo said:

I used to work with a guy who came from North Carolina. Ricky put coleslaw on his barbecue sandwiches.

In the movie HOW TO MARRY A MILLIONAIRE, they are in New York City and at the hamburger stand there were bowls of coleslaw on the counter, and everyone put slaw on their hamburger.

And I have heard, though I have never seen it either for real or on the silver screen, of a "slaw dog", which I presume is people putting coleslaw on their hot dog.

Just seems strange to me. Coleslaw is supposed to be on the plate, eaten with a fork.

What do y'all put coleslaw on?

Nothing it gives me terrible gas!!:lol:

I only like it on pulled pork sandwiches.

Howdy,

Headed the other direction, have you tried a hamburger with 

a bun PLAIN?

I tried a Culver burger plain due to a commercial where 

it was suggested.

It was pretty good but I felt like I wasn't getting my money worth.

Seems like plain should get a fifty cent discount??

Best

CR

When Mama made hamburgers, she would put a plate on the table that has lettuce and sliced tomatoes and sliced onions and dill pickles, so that you could "dress" your burger. At the ripe old age of seven or eight, I didn't want any of that stuff on my burger. We were driving to Tampa and stopped at a drive-in for supper, and since I did not want any of that stuff on my burger I told the waitress I wanted a plain hamburger. That's what I got. Two pieces of bread and a piece of meat. No ketchup no mayo no mustard.

Live and learn. I complained to Mama, and she told me to shut up. "That's what you asked for, that's what you got."

42 minutes ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

Headed the other direction, have you tried a hamburger with 

a bun PLAIN?

I tried a Culver burger plain due to a commercial where 

it was suggested.

It was pretty good but I felt like I wasn't getting my money worth.

Seems like plain should get a fifty cent discount??

Best

CR

That's how I eat my burgers. If a burger does not taste good plain I don't want to eat it with bad taste covered up.

By the way Mcd's, Wendy's and Culvers all make a good burger.

kR

I don't put it in my mouth,Why would I put in on a sandwich? :wacko::blink:

With the varying opinions on slaw, if I were in the food business, slaw would be a side and the patron could place it on their sandwich if desired.

Don't make assumptions when messing around with someone else's food.

A really great eatery in my neck of the woods not only puts the Slaw on the Sandwich, they also put the French Fries (fresh made, skin on) in the Sandwich.  Plenty of meat too.  Some work to eat though.

Archived