SASS Wire Forum

An act of Stupidity

First of all, I hope I spelt 'stupidity' coorect..... :lol:

One of the biggest acts of Stupidity I have witness during the Covid-19 warnings/restrictions

was the parents bringing a NEW BORN to church the Sunday before last.

This was after all the warnings, sports cancellations, travel restrictions, etc.....

And they were allowing all the women in the church to hold and play with that baby.

And most of the ladies were kissing it on the cheek and all that stuff they do with

new borns.

I looked over at my wife and told her not to get involved and that I thought that was about the

STUPIDEST thing I had seen in a long time.

..........Widder

Yup.

Sad.

Good luck, little one.

Idiotic, to say the least.

I know you meant the stupid part was passing the baby around, because I'm sure we can agree the best place for a family to be is at Church. Studies have shown that this disease doesn't affect babies and/or children.

Stupid for bringing a baby to Church: No

Stupid for passing the baby around like there isn't a major sickness at the moment: Yes

Actually since the  newborns who get it are recovering without medication,  they seem to handle it better than we do.  A newborn has his mom's immune response for the first 6 months of their life.   If the area is not a hot bed of infection then it is likely alright anyway 

4 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

Actually since the  newborns who get it are recovering without medication,  they seem to handle it better than we do.  A newborn has his mom's immune response for the first 6 months of their life.   If the area is not a hot bed of infection then it is likely alright anyway 

You'll never convince the parents of the 2 year old in NC of these facts.

Based on your comment, there must be some new borns who are getting the virus.

..........Widder

4 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

While the baby may not have any issues all the people kissing and touching it received a lot of secondary transfer. If one has Covid-19 they all likely do now. :(

Exactly.

And why allow your baby to be subject to a questionable environment.

Even now, news outlets are reporting that even grandparents SHOULD NOT be 

handling/kissing their little grandkids for the same reasons you stated..... thanks!

..........Widder

I'm convinced that most people simply refuse to face reality when it is unpleasant or dangerous.  They have to be forced to accept that it -- whatever "it" is -- is happening.  Often times, that means preliminary steps in mitigating the emergency are missed.

It's not scientific by any stretch, but I've spent my entire adult life dealing with emergencies and emerging threats, both in the military and in law enforcement.  It's a rare breed who sees something and says, "this could be bad, we need to act now."  Nearly everyone wishes it away.

We live in a rural area of Colorado about 1/4 mile outside of a well-known forest.  In 2013 the southwest corner of the forest caught fire; we are northeast, so directly opposite.  When I got home that night, I told my wife, "start packing our important documents, gun collection, coins, and the minimum things we'll need when we're relocated."  She was incredulous, refusing to see what was happening -- we had been under drought conditions for a decade and it was spring, when this part of Colorado gets wind storms routinely in the 60 mph range.  "They're not going to be able to put it out; it's coming, and in a few days the government is going to forcibly evacuate us," I told her.  

She refused to believe it was happening.  Firefighters always put out fires, right?  The good guy always wins, right? 

Only in Hollywood.  Three days later, the power went out and the mandatory evacuation order came because the fire had raged out of control, back and forth across the forest.  It was over 100 feet high, and so hot that it was creating its own weather patterns.  Flaming embers the size of my leg were being thrown 1/2 mile.  Remember that we live 1/4 mile outside the edge of the forest, and flaming embers that large on a tar shingle roof spell danger.  

But we were already packed, had already relocated the horses, already arranged for a place to stay, and were on our way out before the government mandated it, because I face reality.  

It ended up being the worst disaster in state history, and 500 homes were destroyed along with two deaths (people who waited for the government to tell them to leave).  

I first heard of coronavirus back in December on the news.  They speculated that it may someday reach our shores, but there was no panic (and everyone reading this is shocked that it was on the news that long ago and has absolutely no recollection of it!).  I knew it was coming -- it's a highly contagious virus and we live in a world where intercontinental travel is easier and more commonplace than ever.  When Italy got pummeled, I said, "I told you so.  We're next."  

When it landed in the US I immediately recommended shutting down our church and broadcasting the message over livestream, shifting my job to telework, and taking all the other precautions that are now in place.  People said I was overreacting and my wife told me to stop overreacting.  "Watch, all of this is going to come, and it's going to be too late.  No one is willing to face reality, so they're missing their chance to cut this thing off."  

And here we are.  

JD,

There are many who exercise such faith.    As a Christian myself, I have witnessed 

a lot of stupid people being converted, baptized, etc..... and still commit

acts of stupidity.

What's bad is that some of them do it with children involved.

;)

..........Widder

1 hour ago, JD Lud said:

Well, I guess if you believe in the religion is it a stretch for people to believe God will take care of them and not worry about it?

It seems a reasonable execution of faith...

It’s a virus, not a vampire. Viruses aren’t deterred by crosses or “holy ground”. Maybe holy water? Someone should test that 

6 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

First of all, I hope I spelt 'stupidity' coorect..... :lol:

One of the biggest acts of Stupidity I have witness during the Covid-19 warnings/restrictions

was the parents bringing a NEW BORN to church the Sunday before last.

This was after all the warnings, sports cancellations, travel restrictions, etc.....

And they were allowing all the women in the church to hold and play with that baby.

Egads!  Those ladies will be infected with the baby fever for sure now!

Maternity wards are already going to be overwhelmed in 9-10 months, no need to add fuel to that particular fire.  We're going to need a catchy name for this generation like the baby boomers got. 

3 hours ago, JD Lud said:

Well, I guess if you believe in the religion is it a stretch for people to believe God will take care of them and not worry about it?

It seems a reasonable execution of faith...

Well, I believe in the "religion". I believe in it so much that I know God gave us the doctors that are telling us not to congregate in numbers greater than 10. I also believe He gave me the common sense to keep my newborn at home instead of taking it to church. 

2 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

Maternity wards are already going to be overwhelmed in 9-10 months, no need to add fuel to that particular fire.  We're going to need a catchy name for this generation like the baby boomers got. 

My favorite so far is Quaranteens

1 hour ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

My favorite so far is Quaranteens

Quarantennials? :lol:

6 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

Coronials?

Covidians?

6 minutes ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

Coronials?

Covidians?

Both of those are pretty good.  Coronials makes me think of revolution for some reason and Covidians makes we think of alien invaders.  I'm leaning towards Coronials, it has a nice ring to it. 

Sharyn and I will NOT be contributing to the Coronial generation!

17 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

That's what we're calling the kids who are teens right now. 

Who is? I want royalties. I tried to trademark that term, but the trademark office was closed due to quarantine. Think that’ll hold up in court? 

7 minutes ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

Who is? I want royalties. I tried to trademark that term, but the trademark office was closed due to quarantine. Think that’ll hold up in court? 

Did you write it down and mail it to yourself?  As long as the letter is unopened when the court sees it you might have a case. 

6 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

Did you write it down and mail it to yourself?  As long as the letter is unopened when the court sees it you might have a case. 

Well now you tell me 

17 minutes ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

17 minutes ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

Phantom trademarked “stoopid” so yours should stand.:P

4 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

Phantom trademarked “stoopid” so yours should stand.:P

He did? Well crap. Pretty sure I owe him a ton of money then. Just don’t tell him. I don’t think he ever comes to the saloon anyway. 

30 minutes ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

They can't process it anyway as you are nameless and they need a name to attribute it to...:P

There's an article on FOX NEWS about a S.Carolina mother who has infected her 7 month old

child with #19.

Thought I would share that with all the Wire doctors who think its o.k. to let

everyone handle your little children.

:angry:

..........Widder

Widder, not sure who you directed that at. If it was me I agree that it is not a good idea to let everyone handle an infant, but I do believe it is ok to take an infant to Church. Just use common sense and keep your distance from everyone; swaddle that infant nice and tight, give it a bath when you get home and wash all it's clothes.

Howdy Tyrel.

Actually, I directed it to everyone who reads it, but particularly those who think somehow our 

little ones are immune or less suceptable to this virus.

Many folks read the wire but few post on it.   I was wanting to let everyone know 

it ain't a good thing to believe that there are some who are safe from #19.

Dr. Bottlestopper might never post on the wire but he reads it daily.   Info such as this

is good to know and share.

Now, on another topic, if you take a little infant to church and tell everyone they can't hold

or touch his/her hand, you've just alienated yourself and nearly insulting your church friends.....

which ain't a good thing.

..........Widder

Archived