SASS Wire Forum

WTB 1911 mags

It just dawned on me that I don’t have nearly enough 1911 mags

image.jpeg.62a852ea15653a08d346a51cb99c00e2.jpeg

In an effort to shore up this oversight, and because I’m really bored with not much to do these days, I thought I’d see what’s out there. I prefer Colt, McCormick, Wilson and Brown. 7 round flat bottoms, in either SS or blue. Anybody trying to offload some? Thanks 

6 minutes ago, Doc Fill 'Em 67797 said:

"Last Man Standing", great movie!

Definitely. A remake of one of my all time favorite westerns, A fistful of dollars, which is a remake of one of my all time favorite samurai movies, Yojimbo

10 minutes ago, Okaw SASS#30137 said:

So I have been waiting for the NEW category "Wildbunch Outlaw Gunfighter" Yee Haw!!

I am with you there. At least gunfighter. It seems that shooting a pair of 1911's together is very natural

34 minutes ago, Rough 'N Ready Rob said:

You got the hold them laying flat, doesn't matter if you can aim.

That’s Oakland gunfighter rules there. You actually get more points for missing targets. 

19 minutes ago, Rex M Rugers #6621 said:

Maybe you have checked it out already , Jeb Stuart has 3 Colt 7-round blue mags in his "more stuff from the reloading room" ad.

Rex :D

I didn’t. Thanks! 

I shoot BP in one of my old 1911's, guess I could do it with 2 at a time. You up for that, El Hombre?

20 hours ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

I shoot BP in one of my old 1911's, guess I could do it with 2 at a time. You up for that, El Hombre?

Count me in! Just as soon as this quarantine lifts, let's do it

Light springs and heavy bullets seems to work1308017683_WB1911.jpg.5ea8945118d9ae04da715df100469bad.jpg well. fffg for more power to cycle the action. And a firm grip.

2 hours ago, Kid Rich said:

My BP loads chronograph at an average of a little over 750 fps with a 230 g bullet. No, I don't use lite springs in my 1911. My smokiless loads chrono about the same.

kR

Yeah, I’m reluctant to go lighter than 750fps with the 1911 myself.   I use the same charge weight as my .44 spl (one less thing to reset when changing calibers for reloading)

I didn't put in a light spring, it is just a bit softer than it was originally when it was made in 1916!  I have tried 230 grain bullets but if I don't hold it rock solid I sometimes got failures to eject(stovepipe) The heavier bullets cured this.  I use my home cast 454190's.

During the annual Miami Vice match at Green Mountain Regulators, you shoot anything you want (with lead bullets).  Wild Bunch rules for semi-autos.  Anyway, one guy (I won't name him :) ) asked the MD if he could shoot two 1911's gunfighter style.  He got the okay.  He racked the first, put it on safety and set it down, then racked the second gun, then picked up the first and take it off safety.  So far, so good.  But on the first stage he had a FTF with his left hand, and as he moved the other hand (with cocked 1911 in it) over to try to get it into battery, he had an AD that went through the fold-down shelf at the window.  End of match for him!

29 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

During the annual Miami Vice match at Green Mountain Regulators, you shoot anything you want (with lead bullets).  Wild Bunch rules for semi-autos.  Anyway, one guy (I won't name him :) ) asked the MD if he could shoot two 1911's gunfighter style.  He got the okay.  He racked the first, put it on safety and set it down, then racked the second gun, then picked up the first and take it off safety.  So far, so good.  But on the first stage he had a FTF with his left hand, and as he moved the other hand (with cocked 1911 in it) over to try to get it into battery, he had an AD that went through the fold-down shelf at the window.  End of match for him!

Sounds like the guy needs some more experience shooting gunfighter. Start with cap guns. Rarely will I get through a whole shoot without having to fix something. You learn right away to finish up the string with the good gun, holster, then fix whatever is wrong to continue the string. Happens at least once a match for me it seems.

I've been trying to think of how someone would shoot gunfighter in wild bunch, if it were allowed of course. So do you shoot all 14 rounds, then holster a gun, reload, holster that one, reload the other, then have both guns out a blasting? In the movie, Bruce Willis does this really cool reload by with one gun while still shooting. Probably took a long time to get right on screen, but sure looked cool.

Sure, you stage your spare mags on something that holds them vertically.  You shoot until empty and slide locks back, eject the empty mag, slide the gun down over the standing mag, hit the slide release and keep on shooting.

If you get really good you can do this with both guns at the same time... 

1 hour ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

Sure, you stage your spare mags on something that holds them vertically.  You shoot until empty and slide locks back, eject the empty mag, slide the gun down over the standing mag, hit the slide release and keep on shooting.

If you get really good you can do this with both guns at the same time... 

I love it! Now you got me thinking about a stage with down range movement, a few barrels along the way with my mags staged

Archived