SASS Wire Forum

You know you are in Australia when

Major Crimes

Yep the Aussies are panic buying booze:rolleyes:

Even though Bottle Shops have been declared part of the "essential" services list.

Thats right people, Australia considers bottle shops as an essential service, I am so glad I live here:D

Bottle shops will not shut under new restrictions, but that didn't stop Australians from swarming liquor stores to stock up in the latest episode of panic buying brought on by the coronavirus pandemic.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison announced on Sunday Australia would undergo stage one of a lockdown, meaning non-essential services would be shut for at least 48 hours.

As part of this partial lockdown, bottle shops, supermarkets, petrol stations, pharmacies, and convenience stores -- all considered essential -- will remain open

https://10daily.com.au/news/a200322efyol/panic-buyers-turn-to-stockpiling-grog-during-coronavirus-pandemic-20200322

It varies by region. Often “package stores”.  Abbreviation.packy.

in New Hampshire, liquor is a state run monopoly, thus we have the cheapest prices in the country. I’ve always called them liquor stores. Beer is not included, stores can sell beer. Wine can be sold by other stores but they buy it from the state, well they used to, don’t know if that’s still the case.

Locally hard liquor, beer and wine are sold by dedicated liquor stores and ordinary grocery stores.  Prices are about 1/3rd the cost of state liquor stores in the NW corner of the US.  Since grocery stores are considered an essential business, there should be no shortage of alcohol.  I agree with keeping liquor stores open.  Close them and thieves will steal pickups, smash into liquor stores and sell the liquor on the black market.  There would be a ready market to alcoholics.

To answer the OP question:

When you first see this....;)

Image result for sydney airport

...or one of these.....:o

image.png.a50e0aedbddaadb2c194376133ad0ec6.png

Or an American can't figure out what part of a car is the boot:lol:

6 hours ago, Major Crimes said:

We Aussies don't mess around with little tins.

What is the US equivalent of the Bottle Shop? 

download.jpg

It's just called a "liquor store" where I'm from.  As someone mentioned, many things vary in name by region.  

When I lived in Kansas I believed it was called an "ABC" store - Alcoholic Beverage Control" store.  Other states that have state control of liquor usually have an equivalent ABC store - 3.2 beer was bought at the grocery store - it wasn't liquor. :-) I think it was Finnish Breakfast drink :-)

STL Suomi

Archived