SASS Wire Forum

Current favorite firearm chambered in 22lr

Backward Billy

I used to shoot a lot of National Match with this tack driving, Browning Medalist.

It doesn't get used much anymore, but I can't bring myself to part with it.

Browning Medalist in .22 LR 027 (1).JPG

That’s an easy one for a rifle it would be my Marlin 39A I got it in the late 70’s. For a pistol my Ruger Single Six I bought it the day I turned 21 a long time ago and it probably has a quarter million rounds through it. It’s just as tight and accurate as the day I got it 

I have a new Ruger Mark IV that's my go to .22. I love shooting it! It's the Standard model. Nothing fancy just a nice shooter.;)

image.png.13702063acbdf7bbb833cd5adcb2da48.png

EYESA........ right on, my friend..... ;)

DOC:   I agree about the original wood stock keeps it sorta 'sentimental' and original.

But, my neighbor owns a 200 acre farm, which borders my property.   20+ years ago,

he put me up a drive thru gate so that I could shoot on his property ANYTIME I wanted, which

included my desires for crow, groundhog and coyote control experiments... :D

Anyhow, his grandson had an old, beat up, unworkable Model 60 that I offered to fix.

I put my good stock on it and fixed it to be more reliable.   He loved it, so I let him have it.

Its one of the few times I felt like I could show my 'thanks' for their generosity to me over the years.

As for Boyd's stocks..... I have 4 of them.   3 of them are on some custom 10/22's and 1 is on the

stainless Model 60.    I really think they are all well done.

My last 2 that I acquired were given 'stippling'  (not checkering) and BOYDs does a very good 

looking job with their stipple work.    

My 4th 10/22 uses the Hogue overloaded rubber stock.  I think its a very good stock, considering

its functional purpose and price.

..........Widder

If I still had it I'd have to say the Winchester 9422.  I bought it when they first came out back in the '70s, and later loaned it to my son.  He left it on the back seat of his car while he went in to buy a pack of cigarettes, didn't lock the car door, and was back in less than five minutes.  Just long enough for someone to steal it.

I've given him things since, but nothing I cared about and I never loaned him anything again.

Favorite .22? That's like asking which child is your favorite. I guess it depends on what I'm using at the time. I have an accurized 10/22 that is a lot of fun on steel plates. An Anshutz bolt that is good out to 125 yards, My Marlin 39's and Ruger 3 screw Single sixes for side matches, My Remington 512X which is accurate with any ammo from .22 short to .22LR.Then there is my S&W K-22 made in 1948 or my S&W 422.I also just picked up a Mossberg 342KA that I haven't had a chance to shoot yet. I guess that's most of them. Will add more on as I find something I want.

Well boys I have an extensive 22 collection(26) and as of this month my 2 favorite ones are a new purchased colt lighting circa 1894 and a Stevens visiable loader pump circa 1907. My best tack driver is a 1954 Winchester 74 semi, I got from my grand dad in 1968.

Well, I have 13 22's and my current favorite is a Marlin 100G. It is a tack driver. Been shooting up a lot of Russian 22 ammo that I bought from an acquaintance.

image.png.8fa8c089a9416306caffa1716c6d5af3.png

8 minutes ago, Major General Shagnasty said:

Stevens visiable loader pump 

I also have a "Miserable" loader. (Pic from Dillon Blue Press)

image.png.6487b37955b89cc154ce06e97247ee0b.png

48 minutes ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

Well, I have 13 22's and my current favorite is a Marlin 100G. It is a tack driver. Been shooting up a lot of Russian 22 ammo that I bought from an acquaintance.

image.png.8fa8c089a9416306caffa1716c6d5af3.png

I also have a "Miserable" loader. (Pic from Dillon Blue Press)

image.png.6487b37955b89cc154ce06e97247ee0b.png

I have a bunch of Russian 22 (Junior brand) 1 out of 3 will fire. Steel cases and over 500 in the boxes.

10 minutes ago, Major General Shagnasty said:

I have a bunch of Russian 22 (Junior brand) 1 out of 3 will fire. Steel cases and over 500 in the boxes.

I think about 8 or 9 out of 10 will fire for me (also Junior brand). Fortunately(?), I have only a few boxes of 50 left.

I own 4 guns in .22 LR.

Ruger 10/22 - bought in 1992

Savage 30 Stevens Favorite single shot - bought in 2000

S&W 17-3 - bought used in 2016

S&W 63 - bought new in 2019

Out of those 4 I cannot pick a favorite. I love 'em all.

Just got this last week, and it is a hoot to shoot. Tippman Arms Micro-Elite pistol with arm brace from Tippman Arms, Fort Wayne, Indiana. The brace is essentially an adjustable AR stock. Perfect for different sized grandkids. 25 round magazine, but 10 round also available. Pictured next to a Glock 19 for scale.

TippmanGlock.JPG

Love them .22 pumps. My 1941 era Winchester Mdl 61 is my favorite with the Mdl 62A from the early 50s close behind.  I too have a Stevens “Miserable Loader” that won’t shoot right and would love to replace it with a Savage Mdl 29.

Seamus

2 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

While in the subject of .22s, have any of you guys found a reliable brand of ammo besides CCI? I'm really getting sick and tired of the misfires and low-power rounds out of every pack of Remington, Federal or Winchester that I buy.

6-gun: 

Stay away from Aguila.   Of the few bricks that I have tried, I get more no-fires (even with 2nd attempts)

than I do with other ammo I have tried.

I don't buy Winchester stuff because I already have enough CCI and Federal.

You're right.... CCI is good stuff

Now, as for the FEDERAL's, here is my results from many of them the past couple years.

#1.  Black box.  Copper Plated 38 gr HP.   These come in 275 bulk boxes.   Slater and I have both fired 100's of these

the past couple years with very good results, probably equal to CCI in reliability.   As for accuracy,

its been somewhat MORE accurate than the CCI Mini-mags we have fired.

#2.  This is also Black box w/redish,orange print..."Ultra Rimfire Target & Range".

Its is a Copper Plated 36 gr HP and comes in 525 round bulk boxes.

Personally speaking, I think its the same bullet as my #1 listing, BUT, Slater and I haven't fired

nearly as much of it.   But it has been reliable.  

We haven't done any real accuracy testing with it.

#3.  White box.  "Auto Match".   40 gr. round nose solid lead bullet.   This is a 325 round bulk box.

Slater and I have both fired a few 100 of these

with o.k. results.   We do get the occasional misfire but normally, a 2nd strike will pop it off.

Its o.k. for accuracy but not nearly as well as 1 and 2 above.  Nor has it proven as accurate as CCI

stuff.

#4.  Blue Box.  "Champion".  36 gr. copper plated HP.   This comes in 525 round bulk box.

For whatever reason, the CHAMPION .22 ammo is our least favorite.   We ain't shot a lot of it,

but enough to know its not our favorite.   Some occasional 'no fires' and less accurate

than all the others we have tried, including CCI.

SPECIAL STUFF:   Federal makes a dandy nickel plated 40 gr Lead HP.   This stuff is darn good.

They call it the 'Hunter Match' and it comes in 50 round boxes.   22 Plinkster has a video using it.

In some guns, it seems to give very good accuracy.  But not so much in other .22 rifles or pistols.

I really like this stuff but it is more expensive than some of your common .22 ammo.

I think it runs about $40 per brick (500 rounds).    You owe it to yeowndangself to buy a couple boxes

and try it out.  

P.S. - Slater is another Cowboy shooter.  On Sunday afternoons in the Summer, we burn up a lot

of ammo, particularly .22 ammo with many different .22 guns.

Call me if ya got any particular questions:  865 / 696-1996

EDIT:  although the Federal Hunter Match .22 ammo is nickel plated brass, it IS NOT

equivalent to the CCI Stinger.   And I don't think Federal wants it to be considered

as such either.

..........Widder

6 hours ago, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

Just got this last week, and it is a hoot to shoot. Tippman Arms Micro-Elite pistol with arm brace from Tippman Arms, Fort Wayne, Indiana. The brace is essentially an adjustable AR stock. Perfect for different sized grandkids. 25 round magazine, but 10 round also available. Pictured next to a Glock 19 for scale.

TippmanGlock.JPG

I got to shoot some of their stuff at one of our state shoots. They set up a booth. Pretty cool stuff for sure. 

Archived