SASS Wire Forum

Baby Sharps in 45 Colt

Notso Slim, SASS #67301

I ran into a picture of a Charles Daly Baby Sharps and it is interesting. Does anyone have one, shot one, or know anything about it?

I have one and it is fun to shoot.  Accurate  & I use 200 grain LRNFP the same 45 Colt load for my 73 and SAA.  I also put the 3X Malcom scope on the rifle as I liked the look.  I did have a problem with the loading leaver becoming loose,  easy fix and the trigger not setting had to have a gunsmith fix that. He said the hardest part was removing the stock.   I do not think it is a match rifle just a fun toy .  ( attached is not my rifle a photo from the internet showing what my rifle looks like with the scope). Driftwood Dan

wm_2252722.jpg

7 minutes ago, Grass Range said:

Mine is a Browning part round barrel very nice wood in 45 Colt that I have considered selling but it is so cute I can't let it go. I have only used it on badgers.

I've got that same 1885, in 45 Colt.  I've only used it in Plainsman matches... IMO, it's the PERFECT rifle for that side match.  

6 minutes ago, Griff said:

I've got that same 1885, in 45 Colt.  I've only used it in Plainsman matches... IMO, it's the PERFECT rifle for that side match.  

6 minutes ago, Grass Range said:

What distances?

I think we've had targets out to about 75 yards... but they were generous sized.  I feel confident out to ~100 yards offhand.  Beyond that, I think I'll break out the Sharps in .40-90SBN!  

5 minutes ago, Griff said:

I think we've had targets out to about 75 yards... but they were generous sized.  I feel confident out to ~100 yards offhand.  Beyond that, I think I'll break out the Sharps in .40-90SBN!  

5 minutes ago, Griff said:

Griff- That is what I thought. 100 yds max. How do you like the Sharps 40-90 BN? I used a 40-70 BN C Sharps on buffalo and it did the job. GR

6 minutes ago, Grass Range said:

Griff- That is what I thought. 100 yds max. How do you like the Sharps 40-90 BN? I used a 40-70 BN C Sharps on buffalo and it did the job. GR

Love it, it was a gift from my wife, that alone makes it priceless... I picked the chambering for hunting... and it certainly fulfils it's role.  Target shooting, it's a little brutal!  I've shot it a couple of times in BPCRS, and an 80 shot match will certainly teach you whether you're recoil sensitive!  Off-hand it's a gentle 12 ga sorta push... off sticks it's about the same... where it starts to take a toll is on a bench or prone.  Let's put it this way, 85 grains of 2F and even the express loading of 330 grain bullet runs about 1700fps!  It's can be finicky to load.  Doesn't take to compression well, nor do you want the base of the bullet below the neck... I've yet to achieve 1 MOA accuracy... even 2 at anything less than 300 yards... but it sure seems to settle down and perform well out to 8-900.  I've competed a Billy Dixon re-enactment, and just didn't have enough rear sight for that 1,538 yards.

35 minutes ago, Griff said:

Love it, it was a gift from my wife, that alone makes it priceless... I picked the chambering for hunting... and it certainly fulfils it's role.  Target shooting, it's a little brutal!  I've shot it a couple of times in BPCRS, and an 80 shot match will certainly teach you whether you're recoil sensitive!  Off-hand it's a gentle 12 ga sorta push... off sticks it's about the same... where it starts to take a toll is on a bench or prone.  Let's put it this way, 85 grains of 2F and even the express loading of 330 grain bullet runs about 1700fps!  It's can be finicky to load.  Doesn't take to compression well, nor do you want the base of the bullet below the neck... I've yet to achieve 1 MOA accuracy... even 2 at anything less than 300 yards... but it sure seems to settle down and perform well out to 8-900.  I've competed a Billy Dixon re-enactment, and just didn't have enough rear sight for that 1,538 yards.

I would like to see the Billy Dixon shoot someday but I am not good enough to enter.

I have A Uberti 1885 Lowwall in .38-40  that I shoot out past 300 yards ....

Off crosssticks  I let 3 Ladies and one Junior each take 3 shots at 300 yards at a two foot square plate , they ran it 11 out of 12 shots ...

The Miss was caused by one Lady forgetting to hold like I told her for the wind drift, she hit 2 out of 3 ....

Jabez Cowboy 

3 hours ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

I have A Uberti 1885 Lowwall in .38-40  that I shoot out past 300 yards ....

Off crosssticks  I let 3 Ladies and one Junior each take 3 shots at 300 yards at a two foot square plate , they ran it 11 out of 12 shots ...

The Miss was caused by one Lady forgetting to hold like I told her for the wind drift, she hit 2 out of 3 ....

Jabez Cowboy 

Shhhh!  Don't tell everybody...!  I only have 200 yards at my club... but, yeah off sticks... I love it!

Archived