SASS Wire Forum

Blood typing

Alpo

If you had blood drawn at the hospital, for any reason whatsoever, would they routinely type it?

We typed our blood in 10th grade biology class. That's been nigh on 50 years. My memory may be faulty. I remember it as O+, but maybe it's not.

About a year ago I had blood drawn for a series of tests. Just kind of casually wondering if I was to call down to the doctor, if they would have typed it and they could confirm or deny my memory of O+.

SO, looking at the chart, it looks like my 0+ blood can be donated to A+,  B+, AB+.

BUT, those blood types can't donate to ME.

Is that correct?

interesting.

..........Widder

If I dont remember I just check my dog tags      GW

Besides blood types, there are people with unique blood characteristics.i had a neighbor (next office at Oracle) who made a point of telling me that if anything ever happened to her I should point out her medic alert bracelet. Every eight weeks she donated blood for herself. I think it was a unique protein. She could not receive anyone else’s blood.  There were five people on the planet who could share this blood. All were women of Dutch Nordic heritage, two were elderly and no longer donating.

She got a call when a pair of twins was about to be born in Europe. Red Cross asked if they could send a few pints of her blood in the event that the babies had a problem.

she would also get a call when her donated blood was approaching its expiration date as the Red Cross would use the components.

When I was about ten years old some college professor got a State grant to type every kids blood in northern Utah.  He had done a study and determined that the place least likely to be damaged in any accident was under the left arm pit.  Lined all the kids up assembly line style and ran through the elementary schools.  It was tattooed on most of the kids (my sister threw such a conniption that she never got the tattoo.  Other didn't for various reasons.)

Mine, AB+, has been faded away over the years.  It was interesting when the girls got older and the tattoos stretched out about 3-4 inches. :P :D.

The tattooing was done so quickly that the penmanship made most of them undecipherable.

One more proof that not every person with an education is necessarily smart.

When were you 10?

The ShutzStaffel tattooed the blood type in the left armpit. If this was 46, 47, around in there, maybe your college professor got sent to Utah by Odessa. Old habits.

AB+ here. When we typed our blood in HS Biology, they made me do it over. Teacher thought I'd screwed up the test. Mine was the first AB+ she had tested that year.

3 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

SO, looking at the chart, it looks like my 0+ blood can be donated to A+,  B+, AB+.

BUT, those blood types can't donate to ME.

Is that correct?

interesting.

..........Widder

It is interesting. The more you look at it the stranger it gets. O neg can ONLY receive O neg, although anyone can receive O neg.

JHC

13 hours ago, Alpo said:

When were you 10?

The ShutzStaffel tattooed the blood type in the left armpit. If this was 46, 47, around in there, maybe your college professor got sent to Utah by Odessa. Old habits.

I was ten in 1952.  We had a lot of Germans in our valley.......and he was about the right age.   :o  :P

14 hours ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Blood types as percentage of the population.

JHC

Blood+Type+-+statistics.jpg

That is an interesting chart, but note that it is from Australia.  Blood types vary to a significant degree from one race and geographic location to another.

In case one wants more detail:

https://www2.palomar.edu/anthro/vary/vary_3.htm

2 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

What did your report cards say? :rolleyes:

I got a A+ in phys ed.  Other classes, not so much.

When I was younger, I was always in great shape.  Now that I'm older, I consider round a shape.

I have the body of a god.  Budda.

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 5:36 PM, G W Wade said:

If I dont remember I just check my dog tags      GW

+1  I don't normally wear them, unless I'm travelling.  But should I become ill, I'd throw them on! I also have an additional piece of paper encased in plastic with a list of my meds.  Hopefully that won't be necessary!  O+, BTW.  Of course that is only the major blood type.  Typically, a hospital will type and cross-match if necessary if there is a need for a transfusion.

Stay well, Pards!

15 hours ago, Finagler 6853 Life said:

I got a A+ in phys ed.  Other classes, not so much.

When I was younger, I was always in great shape.  Now that I'm older, I consider round a shape.

I have the body of a god.  Budda.

Years ago I grew a beard and mustache.  My wife caught me admiring my self in the mirror one day, put her hands on her hips, and declared, "Tom, you look like a star."

I smiled and told her I'd been considering the same thing and did she think I looked like Kenny Rogers.

She grinned and said, "No!  I was thinking more like Gabby Hayes." 

Five minutes later they were gone and my face was a smooth as a baby's bottom for the next 35 years.

36 minutes ago, Kid Rich said:

So, where do blood types come from? What determines an individuals blood type?

Mine is AB-.

kR

Blood types were researched mainly to explain why some blood transfusions worked, and why others killed the patient.  Blood types are determined by proteins on the surface of the red blood cells.  If you have the "A" protein on your red blood cells then you are type A, if you have the B protein you are type B, if you have both A and B proteins you are type AB, and if you have neither protein A or protein B you are type "O".  So the O is really a zero. It means "no A or B."   After the A and B proteins were discovered, several years later a third surface protein was identified that caused transfusion problems.  The protein had first been found in Rhesus monkeys, so it was called the "Rh" factor.  If you have the Rh protein on your red blood cells then you are Rh+; if the Rh protein is not on your red blood cells then you are Rh negative.  Don't know why they made the change in terminology, but we still live with it.

The proteins on your red blood cells are determined by which genes you inherited from your parents.  It starts to get complicated because you could get an O- gene from one parent and a set of AB+ genes from the other, in which case you would be AB+, but you could pass that O- gene down to your kids, depending on how those genes sort themselves out in sperm and ova cells.  That's why determining who the father is by blood types alone was not always possible.

Blood test for a marriage license.

Once upon a time I was told that this was to make sure that you could not be a danger to your children. If one of you was a positive and the other was a negative the kid's blood would fight with itself and could kill him. The only solution was a full transfusion.

I have no idea if there's any truth at all in that, but I read it somewhere.

Thinking about it one time I wondered if maybe it was to verify that neither the bride nor the groom had syphilis.

Does anybody know why you have to get a blood test to get a marriage license?

Are blood tests still required before marriage?

A handful of states still require blood tests for couples planning to marry. Most do not. (For information on which states require them, see Chart: State Marriage License and Blood Test Requirements.

Premarital blood tests check for venereal disease or rubella. The tests may also disclose the presence of genetic disorders such as sickle-cell anemia or Tay-Sachs disease. You will not be tested for HIV, but in some states, the person who tests you will provide you with information about HIV and AIDS. In most states, blood tests can be waived for people over 50 and for other reasons, including pregnancy or sterility.

If either partner tests positive for a venereal disease, what happens depends on the state where you are marrying. Some states may refuse to issue you a marriage license. Other states may allow you to marry as long as you both know that the disease is present.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/marriage-requirements-licenses-ceremonies-faq.html#answer-1740483

On 3/24/2020 at 9:36 AM, Kid Rich said:

So, where do blood types come from? What determines an individuals blood type?

Mine is AB-.

kR

It depends on your ancestry.  There's a diet called the blood type diet that says each blood type came from a particular area, and if you eat what those people eat, you'll be healthier.  That's abbreviated, they managed to stretch it into an entire book. 

Thank you. I was googling to see about testing my own blood - I was sure someone sold a kit.

They do. I'm not sure whether it is expensive or it's just that I'm a cheap so-and-so, but it is sure more than I wanted to spend.

Be in the blurb talking about why you should buy this "blood type test kit", they mentioned the blood type diet. I had no idea what they were talking about.

Thank you for explaining.

22 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Are blood tests still required before marriage?

A handful of states still require blood tests for couples planning to marry. Most do not. (For information on which states require them, see Chart: State Marriage License and Blood Test Requirements.

Premarital blood tests check for venereal disease or rubella. The tests may also disclose the presence of genetic disorders such as sickle-cell anemia or Tay-Sachs disease. You will not be tested for HIV, but in some states, the person who tests you will provide you with information about HIV and AIDS. In most states, blood tests can be waived for people over 50 and for other reasons, including pregnancy or sterility.

If either partner tests positive for a venereal disease, what happens depends on the state where you are marrying. Some states may refuse to issue you a marriage license. Other states may allow you to marry as long as you both know that the disease is present.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/marriage-requirements-licenses-ceremonies-faq.html#answer-1740483

Am I surprised that the DC is one which requires a test? The place is a hot bed of stupidity.

4 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Am I surprised that the DC is one which requires a test? The place is a hot bed of stupidity.

And that shows up on a blood test? :blink:

kR

:lol:

I'm O+.  My mom was O-.  Yes, it was an issue.

Back when I was a regular donor, I once took a station-wagon load of first-time donors to the Red Cross.  I had a high school kid who worked for me part-time - they wanted her real bad - she was AB-.  We couldn't pile enough clothes on her to get her up to 110 pounds.  I lost another one when she realized they were going to take a pint.

MizPete:

I am delighted you survived your parents' Rh differences.

I am O+, my wife is O-.

Thank goodness for RhoGam injections.

For those of you married folks who did not have to deal with Rh+/Rh- incompatibility, the RhoGam injection reduced the possibility that subsequent children would be "blue babies", fetuses whose red blood cells were damaged by antibodies from the mother that attacked the fetus's red blood cells.  You can look it up, or I can deliver another lecture upon request.  I mean, I'm indoors for a while, gives me something to do!!

:lol:

Archived