SASS Wire Forum

On Fox right now:

Richmond 1986 from Richmond Fairgrounds Raceway
Geoffrey Bodine starts from the pole position at the .542-mile oval and is joined on the front row by Terry Labonte; Darrell Waltrip, Dale Earnhardt and Richard Petty are among the 31 drivers on the starting grid for the second race of the season.

Wow... is it ever different!!  :lol:

Dang it, not on here in Florida. Earlier they had a "virtual" I race on from Homestead. Real drivers racing from home on computers, even Earnhardt Jr. I have to admit, it was entertaining and Kyle Busch crashed multiple times. Denny Hamlin won, followed by Jr and Timmy Hill.

4 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Dang it, not on here in Florida. Earlier they had a "virtual" I race on from Homestead. Real drivers racing from home on computers, even Earnhardt Jr. I have to admit, it was entertaining and Kyle Busch crashed multiple times. Denny Hamlin won, followed by Jr and Timmy Hill.

Yep, I saw the last 30 laps. I, too, enjoyed it.

I enjoyed it.  Now if they would show some races from the '60s I would really enjoy those.

Quite different from today, and the sound of those 7 liter V8s - Wow.

Duffield

I think y'all missed it... this was a replay of an actual race from 34 years ago.  With real Detroit-type cars.  When's the last time you saw a fella lose his hood and part of a fender and keep racing??  :rolleyes:

18 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

I think y'all missed it... this was a replay of an actual race from 34 years ago.  With real Detroit-type cars.  When's the last time you saw a fella lose his hood and part of a fender and keep racing??  :rolleyes:

Used to happen all the time back then. I saw your post right after you put it up, went out to look....damn it not on tv here.

You know why Earnhardt Sr.(Jr. was just a little kid then) didn't hit the wall very much? Tweren't no numbers on the wall.:P

17 hours ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

I enjoyed it.  Now if they would show some races from the '60s I would really enjoy those.

Quite different from today, and the sound of those 7 liter V8s - Wow.

Duffield

They are using the same engines today except for the carburation. They have fuel injection now.

6 hours ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

They are using the same engines today except for the carburation. They have fuel injection now.

Actually, the engines that they used back then were entirely different from today's units.  The cubic inch limit was 430"!!  They were the old big block engines from the various manufacturers. The Chrysler HEMI, the Chevrolet "Rat motor", Buick, Oldsmobile, and Pontiac all used de-stroked versions of the factory engines and Ford raced two or three engines during those years.  Yes!!  They were carbureted, some of them multiple carburetors.  Somewhere in the middle to late '70s, the displacement was reduced to 5.8 liter, (360 cid.) engines and then in the last few years, EVERY manufacturer did redesigns and produced all new engines.  

Won't nothin' but the spark plugs fit and even they are different in most of these new engines.

I miss read your post. I attended my first NASCAR race in 1959 and have followed it closely since then. I attend several races every year. In the 70's is when they went to the basic engine like they run today.

Under the new car that's due out next year, there has been lots of discussion about going to a generic, crate motor. The manufacturers would have nothing to do with the motor, Ford, TRD & Chevy would be left out. Pretty sad deal if it actually happens, as that's about all that is left in these cars that has any manufacturers engineering. Take the nose cap and decals off and they all look the same!

My first live NASCAR Race was Rockingham when I was playing Army. Watched on WWof sports before. Loved the old racing. This new crap is nuts. They keep taking out seats to try and make it look full. Doesn't work.

I confess; I've never seen a NASCAR race.  But it seems to me that stripping manufacturer identity out of the cars is a recipe for ending the sport.  Rivalries drive the competition.  But then, I suppose I'm behind the curve of the new world order......

LL

NASCAR hasn’t been NASCAR since they disallowed 7 liter engines!!  It used to be “run what you brung” and it had to be available at the dealership!!!

’Til it gets back to that, it ain’t stock car racing!!

Next year they go to 18” wheels with spin on hubs!!  No more lug nuts!  Next thing you know, they’ll have air jacks mounted on the chassis and a metered fuel hose to replace the gas cans!!

Until I tried it, I thought that it was like C. J. described.  I did a little stock car racing when me 'n' Schoolmarm were first married. I had run auto-cross and done some amateur road racing before we met and was already deep off into drag racing.  

I'll just say that there's a lot more to it than that!!!

Archived