SASS Wire Forum

What to do when there's nothing to do.

Went to the stores scrounging a couple times yesterday. We're in pretty good shape, been looking for good stuff cheap to donate to the food banks, I figure they are hurting. Made jerky. Mostly I watched Gunsmoke ALL DAY on INSP. Guess it could be worse. At least we're not iced in. Can't even go to church today. :angry: May be a Lonesome Dove kinda day. Y'all have a good Sunday, best you can.

Sus amigo,

JHC

Gonna install some new blades on my mower later this morning.  Passed on a cowboy match and a 3 gun match.  Got several guns to work on, and lots of reloading to do.  Need to make a run to the big box hardware store for a friend, and pick up some lumber for a project of my own, too.  Got a pound of beans in the slow cooker, along with a chopped onion, seasoning ham and some spices. Don't plan on watching much tv...the wife don't like my movies.  

I go out to my golf course. play alone, have my own cart. good exercise and good mental diversion. May see a handful of other players but not much.

In the interest of providing entertainment for those who might prefer to be "house-bound:"  Remember the good old days of ABC's Wide World of Sports, when we were treated to arm wrestling from Petaluma, and Gaelic hurling competitions, among others?  Well, since they have apparently run out of ten-year-old football/basketball broadcasts, the folks at ESPN 2 have decided to go seriously  "old-school" today! Following is a listing of today's programming, straight from the web site.  I removed air times to save a little space...

Highland Games

World Sport Stacking Championship 2007

2019 World Sign Spinning Championship

The 12th Annual World Sign Spinning Championship, held in Las Vegas, brought together Arrow Sign Spinners from more than 50 cities and a dozen countries to assess style, execution, and technical sign spinning ability.

Krystal World Hamburger Eating Championship 2006

European TramDriver Championship

Tram drivers from all over Europe head to Brussels to take part in events such as speed estimation with covered speedometer, target braking, exact stop, and the popular tram bowling.

2019 Stupid Robot Fighting League

Created in New Zealand by John Espin, Stupid Robot Fighting is a rather unique form of fighting that pits two life-sized hanging puppets controlled by an operator sitting behind each Stupid Robot.

E:60 On ESPN8

Features include the World’s Ugliest Dog Contest, sasquatch calling and the Great American Beard and Moustache Championship.

Dodgeball

2019 Continental Cup . United States vs. Canada

Jelle's Marble Runs

Teams compete in the highlight show of the 2019 championships of marble racing.

Slippery Stairs College Tour

Join the latest group of contestants as they race to the top.

Diving

2019 Death World Championship.

Dodge Juggle 3: Revenge of the Dodgeballs

Five jugglers running while juggling in hopes of keeping their juggle alive as people throw dodgeballs at them in attempt to make them slip

CS

cleardot.gifReply

cleardot.gifForward

no_photo.png
ReplyForward

I'm still working. People still wanting guns, and the law doesn't stop, it just takes precautions.

In the increased home time I have, I'll be working on scale models, practicing guitar (I had just decided to pick it back up and do some more lessons when all this hit), going out and running (already entered in two 5Ks if they are held), possibly catch up on my reading, and maybe even pull out the cowboy guns and do some dry fire practicing.

Reading a lot. That’s about all I can do in the present circumstance. I hate being cooped up. I’m not an indoors guy. And walking around the parking lot of the apartment doesn’t get it for me.

20 minutes ago, Count Sandor, SASS #74075 said:

In the interest of providing entertainment for those who might prefer to be "house-bound:"  Remember the good old days of ABC's Wide World of Sports, when we were treated to arm wrestling from Petaluma, and Gaelic hurling competitions, among others?  Well, since they have apparently run out of ten-year-old football/basketball broadcasts, the folks at ESPN 2 have decided to go seriously  "old-school" today! Following is a listing of today's programming, straight from the web site.  I removed air times to save a little space...

Highland Games

World Sport Stacking Championship 2007

2019 World Sign Spinning Championship

The 12th Annual World Sign Spinning Championship, held in Las Vegas, brought together Arrow Sign Spinners from more than 50 cities and a dozen countries to assess style, execution, and technical sign spinning ability.

Krystal World Hamburger Eating Championship 2006

European TramDriver Championship

Tram drivers from all over Europe head to Brussels to take part in events such as speed estimation with covered speedometer, target braking, exact stop, and the popular tram bowling.

2019 Stupid Robot Fighting League

Created in New Zealand by John Espin, Stupid Robot Fighting is a rather unique form of fighting that pits two life-sized hanging puppets controlled by an operator sitting behind each Stupid Robot.

E:60 On ESPN8

Features include the World’s Ugliest Dog Contest, sasquatch calling and the Great American Beard and Moustache Championship.

Dodgeball

2019 Continental Cup . United States vs. Canada

Jelle's Marble Runs

Teams compete in the highlight show of the 2019 championships of marble racing.

Slippery Stairs College Tour

Join the latest group of contestants as they race to the top.

Diving

2019 Death World Championship.

Dodge Juggle 3: Revenge of the Dodgeballs

Five jugglers running while juggling in hopes of keeping their juggle alive as people throw dodgeballs at them in attempt to make them slip

CS

cleardot.gifReply

cleardot.gifForward

no_photo.png
ReplyForward

Well, since you mention all of those, I will add

2EF40742-DC12-4289-8554-65ECECD4CCFF.jpeg

I work on 1000 piece jigsaw puzzles, walk down the road and back (we live in a rural area), talk to the neighbours sheep as I walk by, trouble is they don't talk back, just stand there and stare at me, watch TV, read, clean guns,   Wife and I go for a drive.  Received word that some of the shooting clubs (cowboy and muzzle loaders) are cancelling all spring shoots so far, and possibly more as time goes on.

1 hour ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Can't even go to church today. :angry:

Our church is going to livestream the service.  The pews will be empty, but the worship team and the pastor are going on as always.  So we'll all be tuning in from home.

Stay safe. 

I’m stuck home anyway, recovering from surgery.  
Since I’m supposed to do light walking, rather than lie here in pain, I’m wearing a semi-helpful back brace, and going out to rub and scratch on my horses.  Being part of the herd, my old mare tries to keep me in line, too.  But, she can be bought off with a horse cookie.  The horses eyeball the neighbor’s sheep and their huge Great Pyrenees herd dog, through the fence.  The big dog looks after the group, and apparently me, now.  (Good girl!)   So, that keeps me somewhat occupied.   

I’m staying out here on the ranch at least until I see if this virus thing goes South, or not.

Cat Brules

Wife usually goes to three different exercise classes each week.  But, with the rec centers shut down, she decided to clean the house: re-organize all closets, drawers, shelves, etc.  Great!  Only problem is she is now insisting I do the same with my basement office/workshop!  That includes bundling up old magazines that I have been saving...for about the last 10+ years, and have never re-read.  When I'm through with that I guess I better reorganize the files of my veterans' group, of which I am not only commander, but historian!  Then I can start on the files of my space advocacy chapter.  And then....maybe....I can start reloading (using a single-stage press) about 500 rounds of .44-40 brass I've been putting off doing for the last three years! :o

Stay well, Pards!

1 hour ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

Our church is going to livestream the service.  The pews will be empty, but the worship team and the pastor are going on as always.  So we'll all be tuning in from home.

Stay safe. 

Listened to one, listening to another in the headphones now.

Thanx, JHC

2 hours ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

They're called "Highland Games," pard.  

True enough for all the events across the board, as I understand it, but the specific event of hurling (of which I had no knowledge, so had to look up) is referred to as "Gaelic Hurling" on my source, which was the web site Ireland 101.

CS

Nice to have hobbies.  I'm painting my little 15mm Napoleonic soldiers.  Since March, 2019, I've been building a Prussian army (~1,000 figures).  I'm over half way now.  Currently painting the last of the three battalions of the Prussian 25th Reserve Infantry Regiment.  Now isn't that exciting for y'all? :D

Also, been watching on YouTube the Jeremy Brett "Sherlock Holmes" series.  Jeremy Brett was born to play Sherlock Holmes.

Going to make a Chicken Pot Pie today.  That should last the wife and me a couple/three days.  Not wasting or throwing out any food during these unusual times.

Love my Kindle.  Nice to snuggle down and read a good book.  Currently I'm reading the 5th book in a series about a fictional British infantry battalion during the Napoleonic Wars.  If you are interested in military fictional history, this is a good series about the fictional British 105th Infantry Regiment authored by Martin McDowell.  The first book in the five book series is, "Worth Their Colours."

During my daily walk around the neighborhood, I took some pictures of the Spring cactus flowering.  Here's a pretty bunch.

5KEYw8.jpg

18 minutes ago, Count Sandor, SASS #74075 said:

True enough for all the events across the board, as I understand it, but the specific event of hurling (of which I had no knowledge, so had to look up) is referred to as "Gaelic Hurling" on my source, which was the web site Ireland 101.

CS

Is hurling a symptom of Covid 19?
Or is that just after too much Corona?

3 hours ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

They're called "Highland Games," pard.  

Cyrus,

I agree with you.

I like "Highland Games" better than hurling....brings up thoughts of..:o

image.png.3731cb2174361f884455797d07faaebb.png

Note: Utah...you and I are on the same wavelength today.

37 minutes ago, Count Sandor, SASS #74075 said:

CS

Here's the problem with the English language:  In English, "Gaelic" refers to both the Irish and Scottish languages, but they are *NOT* the same.  Scottish is Gaidhlig and Irish is Gaeleig in their respective languages.  Similar, but not the same.  The Highland Games are of purely Scottish origin.

Well I’m building a couple of items I put off for some pards because of some carts that had to be built and when I’m finished with those I’m going to totally clean and redo my reloading room. I’m going over to the (essential) open hardware store/lumberyard tomorrow to pick up some 4x4’s to build another bench for the Lee APP press and my shotgun brass hull loading operation. I’m going to remove and rebuild a 12’ long bench that is to high for the way I like to reload. I’ll build some shelving and a powder locker that will be on full extension drawer guides that will stow away under one of the benches when not needed. I’m pretty sure that as I proceed I’ll find more improvements to do.

I've been working, out at the ER all last night and on call today and tomorrow and the next. Stay safe. 

I discovered, with enough time on your hands, you can take the 24 .32-20 cases you ruined making 300 .25-20 cases and turn 'em into .32 S&W Long cases. :lol:

I spent yesterday trying to refinish an old 10/22 stock I had laying around. I had no trouble getting it completely stripped and sanded down, but when I applied the stain I suddenly remembered why I hate birchwood. All splotchy and uneven. Now I gotta strip it down and try again with something else. I may just give up and paint the damn thing.

Check if there is a Lady on the Couch in your living Room ,,,, and if she looks Nice ....

Try and get to know Her ! 

Who Knows she might be your Wife ....

Jabez Cowboy

29 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

I spent yesterday trying to refinish an old 10/22 stock I had laying around. I had no trouble getting it completely stripped and sanded down, but when I applied the stain I suddenly remembered why I hate birchwood. All splotchy and uneven. Now I gotta strip it down and try again with something else. I may just give up and paint the damn thing.

Rustoleum solves a lot of problems.

On 3/22/2020 at 2:28 PM, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

What to do when there's nothing to do.

well there’s always contributing to the forecast baby boom.

Oh God no!

41 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Several years ago, I came  across a 12g H&R shotgun in a storage unit that had... let's say a severely "damaged" barrel and stock ;)

I found a nickeled 20g barrel on eBay, added a piece of 2x6 onto the "broken stock", a Ruger butt pad from the parts box, another piece of wood on the end of the fore end where it had been "broken" where the barrel was "broken", prepped it, and sprayed on a finish of textured Rustoleum. This beautifully restored relic is now easily worth tens of dollars. :lol:

HRshotgun.jpg

Good job on that. Last fall I took on a different gun project, bringing an old Stevens .22 I have back from the dead. I cleaned it up, replaced some boogered screws and a missing front sight, and painted the stock with OD green Rustoleum. It ended up looking 100x better. But then I took it out and shot it, and I remembered why I let it sit for so many years. Poor accuracy, jams a lot and a 10# trigger pull. Oh well. :unsure:

Archived