SASS Wire Forum

Not the Black Death

Utah Bob #35998

No matter what is done during this world wide dilemma, it will be seen as “wrong” by at least some people. 

Besides, CNN? I don’t trust them to get anything right and I always believe they have an agenda. 

You can die from smoking, drinking, or a car wreck. In fact more people do than from this illness. Life ain’t a sure thing. There are risks. 

16 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Yes.  But ... What if you happen to be part of the minority that Dies???  Of course you won't know your dead so it won't matter???

Here in the US the mortality rate falls within the range of what we see in the flu.  Do we start taking these same measures every flu season?  

23 minutes ago, Cemetery said:

Read an article that said 'O' type blood people have greater resistance to CV19, than any other.

Since I first enlisted in 1993, I believed I was A+ blood type.  I went to give blood a few months ago and they asked me my blood type.  "A positive," I said.

"How do you know?" she asked.  

"The army told me."  

"Oh, they get it wrong fairly regularly.  We'll have to re-test it."

Come to find out I'm a B+.  The entire time I was in combat I had A+ marked on things in case I was wounded.  The entire time I was a cop, if we went into a particularly hair raising incident with helmets and AR-15s, I wrote "A+" on both arms in black marker, just so the medics could save my life if needed.  It turns out that if I had needed it, it would have killed me!

3 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

In Alberta this year, as of this week 37 Albertans have died of influenza and 1 has died of COVID-19.  I had to look the influenza data up as the media never mentions it.

The major difference (Joe) is there is a Vaccine for Flu and there are over the counter treatments to lessen the effects of Flu.  There are those (of course) whom refuse to vaccinate but as we all know, you can't fix STUPID.

32 minutes ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

Since I first enlisted in 1993, I believed I was A+ blood type.  I went to give blood a few months ago and they asked me my blood type.  "A positive," I said.

"How do you know?" she asked.  

"The army told me."  

"Oh, they get it wrong fairly regularly.  We'll have to re-test it."

Come to find out I'm a B+.  The entire time I was in combat I had A+ marked on things in case I was wounded.  The entire time I was a cop, if we went into a particularly hair raising incident with helmets and AR-15s, I wrote "A+" on both arms in black marker, just so the medics could save my life if needed.  It turns out that if I had needed it, it would have killed me!

Did it ever occur to you that the blood donor people got it WRONG, and that you are indeed,  A+  ???

Maybe ask your MD to retest you?

Cat Brules

Of course there are "Risks" (Bob), but we mitigate those risks as best we can.  I doubt you would expose someone with a medically compromised immune  system to those "Risks??"

2 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Yes.  But ... What if you happen to be part of the minority that Dies???  Of course you won't know your dead so it won't matter???

Every body dies.  More die every day from many different things that are getting sick from this "pandemic".

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Here in the US the mortality rate falls within the range of what we see in the flu.  Do we start taking these same measures every flu season?  

The problem with Covid-19 is that it is more than twice as contagious as the flu.  It spreads much easier.  Which means a whole bunch more will be infected. 

1 hour ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Of course there are "Risks" (Bob), but we mitigate those risks as best we can.  I doubt you would expose someone with a medically compromised immune  system to those "Risks??"

I agree this is a pandemic and certain groups are at risk. Much like the flu. But the authorities and media could stress that although this is an extremely contagious virus. The death ratio is not unduly bad and the bulk of victims recover. They are Not doing that enough. 

3 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I read that article.  It said that almost 14% were classified as severe and 5% critical.  If I apply those numbers to my parents and Sharyn's parents, all in their mid 70s, I get numbers I don't like much. 1 in 5 chance that one of them is critical and basically 50/50 that one of them is severe.  For kids it said that nearly 6% were severely ill.  I have three kids, so for me that's just under a 1/5 chance that one of them gets severely ill.  Again, not horrible numbers, but 1/5 for my kids?  No thanks. 

39 minutes ago, Doc Shapiro said:

The problem with Covid-19 is that it is more than twice as contagious as the flu.  It spreads much easier.  Which means a whole bunch more will be infected. 

It is assumed to be.  But the number of cases doesn't seem to bear out that claim.  Yes, in China, in Italy, that may be true, but the US isn't China or Italy.  Heck, even San Francisco isn't like China or Italy and isn't seeing the huge numbers that the claims of the high rate of infection indicate.

2 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Maybe not. However, this one came from a city in China that has "microbiology labs that handle advanced viruses like the novel coronavirus."

https://nypost.com/2020/02/22/dont-buy-chinas-story-the-coronavirus-may-have-leaked-from-a-lab/#content-wrapper

1 hour ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

The major difference (Joe) is there is a Vaccine for Flu and there are over the counter treatments to lessen the effects of Flu.  There are those (of course) whom refuse to vaccinate but as we all know, you can't fix STUPID.

Years ago, Hubby's doctor told him that he should not have vaccines due to his compromised immune system.

Beware of the "broad brush."

8 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Years ago, Hubby's doctor told him that he should not have vaccines due to his compromised immune system.

Beware of the "broad brush."

There are always exceptions of course. My wife is much more at risk because of her cancer treatment.
But if we are talking about the human population overall the fact is that, while highly contagious, the Covid19 is not as bad as many other diseases we have faced.

I read on F.B. that ifen you don't get it, you won't die from it. Must be true

31 minutes ago, Smoken D said:

I read on F.B. that ifen you don't get it, you won't die from it. Must be true

This changes everything!!

2 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

Did it ever occur to you that the blood donor people got it WRONG, and that you are indeed,  A+  ???

Maybe ask your MD to retest you?

Cat Brules

Two days after donating, I received a text message stating my blood had been given to a patient.  So if they messed up, they killed him / her!

Plus, after 26 years of dealing with the army medical system, I wouldn't trust them to put a bandaid on me.

2 hours ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

Two days after donating, I received a text message stating my blood had been given to a patient.  So if they messed up, they killed him / her!

Plus, after 26 years of dealing with the army medical system, I wouldn't trust them to put a bandaid on me.

MY LIFE was saved, LITERALLYmore times than I can remember, by U. S. Army Military DOCTORS and MEDICS over a period of 22+ years.  And, I’ve watched them save the lives of others.

Cat Brules

I'm in the high risk group... age and lungs prone to asthma and bronchitis.
I figure if I catch C19, I will be one of those 100% types... 100% mortality.

Since getting dead is not appealing to me, I have take precautions that others might deem excessive or unwarranted.
So, I dig deep into all the medical publications, CDC stuff, hospital infection data to understand as much as I can about it.

As Doc Shapiro notes above, C19 is more contagious than FLU-A.
As I understand it, I am far more likely to catch it from a hard surface where it has been living for the last week to 9 days.

If everybody worked 100% at breaking the chain (masks and gloves), the chain would break in a few weeks.
Some will die, others will get over it, and many won't get infected at all.

According to what I've seen, if the world did nothing. No measures whatsoever, we would be looking at approximately 161 Million dead worldwide. Now, out of a population of 7.5 Billion, that may seem like not a big deal, unless you or a relative are one of the dead. Put another way, that's almost double the death toll of WWII.

Now, clearly we aren't doing "nothing." The question becomes, are we doing enough to keep the deaths as low as possible. Sure, we can debate whether the flu kills more people or not. We can talk about tuberculosis, HIV and any number of other illnesses. One of the things to remember is, that all of those-- influenza, TB, HIV, and more-- are things that we have worked into the system. We've planned for them, so to speak. COVID-19 blasts through that planning. If healthcare typically works at 80% capacity, to just pick a percentage, and suddenly you demand it work at 130% capacity because of the higher illness rate and potential deaths, what happens? Not only do the people suffering from COVID-19 suffer. The people with the flu, emphysema, heart attacks and strokes, etc... suffer, because the system is overtaxed. That's why they are talking about "flattening the curve." It isn't so much about limiting the total numbers to go through the system as it is spreading them out over time. This allows the healthcare system to keep functioning. It also buys time. Time to work on vaccines and more.

We're likely going to be dealing with "hot spots" popping up around the world for the next year or more, or until such time as a vaccine is put into place.

Oh, and no, it isn't the Black Death. Then again, the Catholic Church didn't close for the Black Death.

I’m in the high risk category as well

i don’t plan to catch it but if I do, I’ll toss back a few Jack Daniels and call a couple friends to come over and help.

Cat Brules

Same here ~ I am highly susceptible to respiratory issues.  I do not "catch a cold."  If I'm around someone with a sniffle, I'll get it, it will trigger asthma, then serious bronchitis, and I've had pneumonia more times than I can remember.  January of last year Helen Brimstone's grandson shared a "sniffle" with me ("It's just allergies!" - NOT!). A week later I went down, and it took the better part of two months 'til I could breath normally. There were times I wondered if I'd recover at all.

10 hours ago, DocWard said:

.If healthcare typically works at 80% capacity, to just pick a percentage, and suddenly you demand it work at 130% capacity because of the higher illness rate and potential deaths, what happens?

Our youngest works at an urgent care facility in Minneapolis area.  He's worked the past three days. Said traffic is down by 2/3s. Still a lot of trivial issues like two men over 70 came in to get ear wax removed.  Another woman over 70 came in with hip pain she's had for over a year.  The other day a woman in her 30s came in with what she knew was the flu virus.  She showed no symptoms or running any feaver.  They sent her home. 

48 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

Our youngest works at an urgent care facility in Minneapolis area.  He's worked the past three days. Said traffic is down by 2/3s. Still a lot of trivial issues like two men over 70 came in to get ear wax removed.  Another woman over 70 came in with hip pain she's had for over a year.  The other day a woman in her 30s came in with what she knew was the flu virus.  She showed no symptoms or running any feaver.  They sent her home. 

One of my best friends in life works for a group of clinics in the Chicagoland area. We usually chat fairly often. He's been so busy that I haven't heard from him. The last I did, he was already working stupid hours because of this. Unfortunately, anecdotal evidence doesn't always tell the full story. It could just as easily be used to suggest Minnesotans are doing a better job, overall, of following the protocols than Chicagoans, and keeping the system from being overloaded.

21 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Hang up callers, we have a winner. Great question.

8 minutes ago, DocWard said:

One of my best friends in life works for a group of clinics in the Chicagoland area. We usually chat fairly often. He's been so busy that I haven't heard from him. The last I did, he was already working stupid hours because of this. Unfortunately, anecdotal evidence doesn't always tell the full story. It could just as easily be used to suggest Minnesotans are doing a better job, overall, of following the protocols than Chicagoans, and keeping the system from being overloaded.

Could be the area and demographic make the difference.  Son worked as an emergency room nurse in the city. They were always flooded with people coming in that felt they were "entitled" to everything.  Come in in a family group to get aspirin and oh, by the way, we ran out of diapers for the baby and could you order up some food. Street people and drug addicts just wanting a warm bed for the night. 

10 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

Could be the area and demographic make the difference.  Son worked as an emergency room nurse in the city. They were always flooded with people coming in that felt they were "entitled" to everything.  Come in in a family group to get aspirin and oh, by the way, we ran out of diapers for the baby and could you order up some food. Street people and drug addicts just wanting a warm bed for the night. 

So, when you're already dealing with that, add a large spike in patients because there is no vaccine and some people do die from this and...

On 3/22/2020 at 8:15 AM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

UB, you really need to stop being a voice of reason and prudence. The world is in a panic, working hard to get every man/woman/child wrapped in sterile bubble wrap to ride out this “crisis”.

And then you come along with data that doesn’t justify the panic. How dare you!

(Where’s the sarcasm emoji when you need it?)

Archived