SASS Wire Forum

Practice Range pics

Tucker McNeely

Hurricane Michael took out hundreds of trees on our place so we decided to make lemonade out of our lemons and built this shooting bay. It's still a work in progress, but we sure feel lucky having it right now.

IMG_3252 (600x800).jpg

IMG_3251 (600x800).jpg

Standard size SASS (9) targets, 4 plate racks, 2 22Lr tombstone racks, 2x3 200 yd long range and miscellaneous novelty targets

Clay thrower and 3 shotgun kds

2B7E4104-605E-44CA-BDA4-2DBA968CAE00.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Mack Hacker, #60477 said:

Standard size SASS (9) targets, 4 plate racks, 2 22Lr tombstone racks, 2x3 200 yd long range and miscellaneous novelty targets

Clay thrower and 3 shotgun kds

2B7E4104-605E-44CA-BDA4-2DBA968CAE00.jpeg

Nice!

What size are those targets?

1 minute ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Nice!

What size are those targets?

I believe the SASS r/p targets are 12x16, plate racks are all 9”(except the one at 100yds which has 3 in the center that are 6”), and the tombstone racks step down from 6” to 2” in one inch increments

1 minute ago, Mack Hacker, #60477 said:

I believe the SASS r/p targets are 12x16, plate racks are all 9”(except the one at 100yds which has 3 in the center that are 6”), and the tombstone racks step down from 6” to 2” in one inch increments

Thank you.

I am fortunate to live very rural NETx and plenty of room on ranch for targets. And, I love to shoot.  The far berm is 300 yards (last ram 250 & coal mine scraper tooth at 200) for use in long range shooting which is mostly for sighting-in friends rifles and occasional challenge with .17.  You may notice many targets left over from my 22 years of IHMSA practice....OK maybe a few are at Bar-3 (think chickens).

Snow pic is very rare as we don't get snow like this very often..maybe every few years.

range facing north.jpg

rare snow at range.jpg

shooting building.jpg

5 hours ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

OK maybe a few are at Bar-3 (think chickens).

So you're the ONE get a rope- them damn things multiply like Rabbits. Don't you know there's already a Chicken ranch in Nevada. 

2 minutes ago, Hells Comin said:

So you're the ONE get a rope- them damn things multiply like Rabbits. Don't you know there's already a Chicken ranch in Nevada. 

Must have got something started as they did multiply, fortunately some got bigger.

Thought the Chicken Ranch was in LaGrange...O but that was long ago.  "the home out on the range".

11 hours ago, Hells Comin said:

Any of these Yours?

20190419_101201.jpg

20190419_101150.jpg

ABSOLUTELY NOT :D but I did place the order for those eight legged chickens at K&B steel fabrication in Clarksville.   Mine were about the size of the shotgun knockdowns in you pic but were hanging from chains, I believe a couple of pigs and turkeys also. Not sure we used them at CAC in 2019, unless in long range.

42 minutes ago, Tucker McNeely said:

Yup those octo-chickens would give me fits

4'x4' total so pretty good size tail or body mass.

I copied the idea from Tiger and Lyn - their house in the pic.  I didn't have a pic of my setup which is similar

Heated building has a shooting bench and a window to allow long range rifle. Steel targets for rifle at 100 200 and 300 yards and portable target allows 600 yards. Need to shovel snow away from targets at times. Winter makes practice for some matches  more of a challenge .

B8371317-F6C8-4017-B124-12D6561E08BA.jpeg

C55384D1-7423-49A6-BF0D-DEB3215BCD3A.jpeg

My home on the farm range looks like a Hooverville compaired to those posted.  But it does have something I don't see on the other ranges.  And that is bullet traps.  I recover at least 50% of lead shot at them.  I don't deliberately practice but check out guns and loads. 

I don't have a good picture but it can be seen in this video.  I have a small table and carpet at 10 steps and a large cable spool at 25 steps.  I can back up to 75 steps if need be.

My first attempt with the panoramic setting on my phone camera. I can actually shoot this array off my deck. Forty six plates at CAS ranges, a couple pressure bottles on the hillside about 50 yards out, and a 100 yard target board, plus a foot tripped trap underneath the stock tank in the background at the left of the pic. I've got a 500 yard range down below my house, with ranging stakes every fifty yards. There's a stationary 42" round plate on an 8' x 8' backing, a 2' round disc on a stand at 400 yards, a heavy hanging plate about 1' high x 3' wide at 300 yards, and a portable 4' x 4' stand to put wherever I want. My long range bench is an old x-ray table with a wing welded on each side. The table was free from a remodeling job at the hospital, and had the added benefit of fifty pounds or so of lead counterweights bolted onto it. :)

Range.jpg

BenchRest.jpg

49 minutes ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

My first attempt with the panoramic setting on my phone camera. I can actually shoot this array off my deck. Forty six plates at CAS ranges, a couple pressure bottles on the hillside about 50 yards out, and a 100 yard target board, plus a foot tripped trap underneath the stock tank in the background at the left of the pic. I've got a 500 yard range down below my house, with ranging stakes every fifty yards. There's a stationary 42" round plate on an 8' x 8' backing, a 2' round disc on a stand at 400 yards, a heavy hanging plate about 1' high x 3' wide at 300 yards, and a portable 4' x 4' stand to put wherever I want. My long range bench is an old x-ray table with a wing welded on each side. The table was free from a remodeling job at the hospital, and had the added benefit of fifty pounds or so of lead counterweights bolted onto it. :)

Range.jpg

BenchRest.jpg

Three Foot I want to come and play in your yard, Looks like fun!

20 minutes ago, Marshal Fire, SASS 10064 said:

Three Foot I want to come and play in your yard, Looks like fun!

I've got 120 acres for sale 'bout a quarter mile to the south. :)

On 3/23/2020 at 8:30 PM, Hendo said:

Understand that I say this with nothing but love in my heart,

You guys suck. :lol:

DITTO!

7 hours ago, Marshal Fire, SASS 10064 said:

Heated building has a shooting bench and a window to allow long range rifle. Steel targets for rifle at 100 200 and 300 yards and portable target allows 600 yards. Need to shovel snow away from targets at times. Winter makes practice for some matches  more of a challenge .

B8371317-F6C8-4017-B124-12D6561E08BA.jpeg

C55384D1-7423-49A6-BF0D-DEB3215BCD3A.jpeg

That settles it--When I grow up I wanna be Marshal Fire!

1 hour ago, Marshal Fire, SASS 10064 said:

I even have it set up to make coffee and soup in the building while I am shooting. Winter hide out!

Wow--now I'm confused.  Do I want to be you or just hate you from afar?

Archived