SASS Wire Forum

Community Sharing

Calamity Kris

I thought since we are all in this together, a little sharing of knowledge and experience might help us all through.  I wanted to start by sharing a recipe I created out of items I have on hand for chicken and rice soup.  It's not fancy but when you're under the weather, it will do.  Uno likes his soups a bit dense.  You may want to use half the package of rice and one can of chicken.  EIDT - You will probably want to use one can of chicken and half a package of rice, otherwise it will be REALLY dense.

Note: the rice is a package of pre-cooked 90 second microwave rice.

Pour the stock in a sauce pan

Add the Vegetable Soup Mix while stirring on low, making sure the mix is thoroughly dissolved

Add the rice and chicken meat

Bring to a boil and simmer 5  minutes.

You're done!!

Soup.jpg

29 minutes ago, Calamity Kris said:

I thought since we are all in this together, a little sharing of knowledge and experience might help us all through.  I wanted to start by sharing a recipe I created out of items I have on hand for chicken and rice soup.  It's not fancy but when you're under the weather, it will do.  Uno likes his soups a bit dense.  You may want to use half the package of rice and one can of chicken. 

Pour the stock in a sauce pan

Add the Vegetable Soup Mix while stirring on low, making sure the mix is thoroughly dissolved

Add the rice and chicken meat

Bring to a boil and simmer 5  minutes.

You're done!!

Soup.jpg

The rice is precooked?

Thanks Calamity.

Looks like the SALOON has its own cooking channel! ;)

This is one I came up with a few years ago. I have used this with both of these packaged soups, and it's very good.

282.jpg.93276ac072cec061d2500cdb21da1752.jpg284.jpg.6edb68c0b992101d09b556a483c04d07.jpg

I would get some boneless skinless chicken thighs. Put about 5 lb of them in the Crock-Pot. Sprinkle them with garlic powder and oregano. Add some chopped onion and a 4 oz can of mushroom pieces. Then pour in a - they're not a pound anymore. What are they 14 oz, 15 oz - can of diced tomatoes. Then dump in a can of Rotel. Do it 7 or 8 hours on low. Enjoy the chicken with vegetables over some rice.

But when you are through eating all of the chicken - at least when I am through eating all of the chicken - there will be a large amount of chicken stock/tomatoes/mushrooms/onions/peppers still in the Crock-Pot. I save that. Freeze it. And save at least one (but two is better) of the chicken thighs.

That soup mix is simple. Boil a half a gallon of water, dump in the mix, and stir it up.

Instead of water I used my saved chicken/vegetable stock. If I don't have a half a gallon I will add water to bring the level up, but usually I've got plenty. Then I tear those chicken thighs into little bitty pieces and dump that in the soup.

It's that homemade soup base in the freezer that makes the difference.

Archived