SASS Wire Forum

Oregon Trail Bullets

Pee Wee #15785

Not been shooting much because of health.  Starting to reload .45 Colt and need bullets, 250 gr. RNFP only.  I used Oregon Trail bullets for years but see the founders has sold them.  Are bullets as good as they were before being sold?  Are there anyone that used laser cast bullets that have  found a less costly 250 gr. RNFP bullet out there today that is as good.  For smoke I use the big lubed bullets by Whyte Leatherworks.  I need to load about 500 rounds of smokeless for kids to shoot and deer hunt with come fall. 

Oregon Trails faqs mention still offering a silver bullet.  They also have a less expensive inventory (maybe a molly?)

I only need makers that carry 250 gr. RNFP please.  I am reloading for deer hunting, not SASS.  Grandson got his first deer at 12, he has 3 total and is only 16 now.  In Indiana he used a Yellowboy in .44WCF with black behind a 200gr big lube but Ohio will not let you use a bottleneck round.  Will use a Marlin in .45 Colt this year.

Ringers Bullets, soft and coated, well packed and prompt.

Oregon Trail are hard-cast at BHN=24.
Dunno why anybody would need this much pressure for CAS.
Maybe for long range rifle, but not for revolver.

I'm using Ringer's Bullets, because I can get a run soft cast at BHN=9 for low pressure loads.
These are nicley made and Hi-Tek coated.

7 hours ago, bgavin said:

Oregon Trail are hard-cast at BHN=24.
Dunno why anybody would need this much pressure for CAS.
Maybe for long range rifle, but not for revolver.

I'm using Ringer's Bullets, because I can get a run soft cast at BHN=9 for low pressure loads.
These are nicley made and Hi-Tek coated.

For hunting. 

I've been using Rim Rock's 78gr rn in my 32 acp's (non-SASS). They shoot really good, accurate and load consistent. I've never used their .45's (pour my own .45's) but I see no reason they won't be shoot just as good as the .32's.

C.S.

On 3/20/2020 at 9:10 PM, Pee Wee #15785 said:

Not been shooting much because of health.  Starting to reload .45 Colt and need bullets, 250 gr. RNFP only.  I used Oregon Trail bullets for years but see the founders has sold them.  Are bullets as good as they were before being sold?  Are there anyone that used laser cast bullets that have  found a less costly 250 gr. RNFP bullet out there today that is as good.  For smoke I use the big lubed bullets by Whyte Leatherworks.  I need to load about 500 rounds of smokeless for kids to shoot and deer hunt with come fall. 

I purchased my last batch of commercial cast lead from them. The lube was falling off.

Purchase SASS local, Scarlet and Outlaw are both good sources.

I use Scarlett and Wiamea for bullets, Col. Tuscarora for my .44 round ball, and Ringer when I want coated bullets!!  All of 'em are reliable producers and SASS shooters as well as sponsors for a number of nearby annual matches!!

On 3/21/2020 at 10:02 PM, Boulder Canyon Bob# 32052L said:

Bear Creek makes a 255 gr, great people to deal with and big supporter.

https://www.bearcreeksupplybullets.com/bulletselection

I load Bear Creek in my 44s and 45s great mfger.  I wouldnkt go anywhere else, frankly.

18 hours ago, Pee Wee #15785 said:

Dutch one heck of an article

Some of his loads just plain hurt,   Had to back off his top H110 load by a grain. Looked ok in the old Rugers but primers cratered in the 92. (300 grain lead)  Sure do smack them mule deer down hard. 

Dutch one heck of an article

I am loading using 250 gr RNFP for the grandson.  Don't know the powder yet but will load a lighter load first working up to close to max as he can have up to 150 yard shot.  Would use black powder but he asked for smokeless. Kids today have no respect for the past, but using smokeless will let him shoot with an get a more human kill farther.

Archived