SASS Wire Forum

Are these shoes legal?

Ruby Redsmoke

2 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Ya know Sun, I'm sure you do, we haven't always agreed on everything. However, I do agree with you more as time goes by.

I guess I've mellowed in time. In the past, we didn't agree on much of anything but time has a way of healing most wounds. Thanks Allie.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

You're right, I have no clue as to your running abilities, good or bad, but I'm willing to bet $100 that you can't leap 3 yards (9') with even a running start.

You state that Doc Shapiro is "uninformed". I can assure you that he is not uninformed. Doc has been doing this MUCH longer that you and many other folks and has taken the time, effort and money to inform people how to improve themselves in CAS.

In case you haven't noticed, we don't use rank position for scoring any longer.

If your analysis is that less restrictive footwear affords you a competitive advantage, that's fine. If someone else wears less restrictive, yet legal, footwear for comfort or to simply play this game without limping for the next 2 days, it doesn't matter if the footwear is acceptable to you or not.

I have never understood why some people can't admit that they have made a mistake and instead just bring out a bigger shovel to "make" their point.

I'll stick with my original position that footwear does affect performance, which is what this discussion has morphed into.  A competitive advantage is gained by wearing more lightweight and responsive footwear than cowboy boots.   (It's why the SHB prohibits athletic shoes.) 

As I commented several rounds ago, we just need to agree to disagree.   UBUIBME.   

And BTW,  I certainly can broad jump well in excess of 9 feet, albeit, not from a standing start any more-- probably only 6 or 7 feet from standing.  (and NO, I can't do it in my cowboy boots.) 

Have a great evening. 

Make healthy choices everyone.  

18 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

.  A competitive advantage is gained by wearing more lightweight and responsive footwear than cowboy boots.   (It's why the SHB prohibits athletic shoes.) 

REF: SHB p.2 - "CLOTHING & ACCOUTREMENTS"

22 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

A competitive advantage is gained by wearing more lightweight and responsive footwear than cowboy boots.   (It's why the SHB prohibits athletic shoes.)

That is not why SASS prohibits athletic shoes, ball caps and T-shirts.  You can wear lighter wt. shoes  and still stay in the spirit of the old west if you'd like.  I prefer low-heeled lace-ups for comfort.  Yep, I can move faster when the arthritic small-bones in my feet aren't screaming at me.  I wear boots when I can, but shoes are perfectly acceptable, except in B-Western or Classic Cowboy.

Here's a picture of a shoe that's been around since the 1860s, was in catalogs throughout the old west period... It's called the "Southern" or "Monticello" shoe.

1773546963_TheSouthernorMonticellomodel..jpg.ab35413ddb845e44b57f2d35ffb64891.jpg

Here's a Civil War Contract Bootee.  Also available in catalogs throughout the old west period.

545569533_CivilWarContractbootees.jpg.59795cfbb5b29e59c84d980e0d643607.jpg

Wear whatever you want that's SASS-legal for the category you shoot!  If you feel you can move faster in them, all the better.

10 hours ago, Doc Shapiro said:

Back to topic, we also did some movement tests comparing various soled cowboy boots.  We ended up that individual fit and comfort is the most important consideration, not the sole or boot structure.

Sounds Interesting! May I ask on what ground(s) you did your testing?

I have to noticibly slow down wearing my flat soled cowboy boots to run safely, especially at rainy days when it gets a bit muddy. But at our matches a run to the next position can be up to 15 yards. Also, beeing 42 years old I consider myself rather young in this game and I can definitely run fast wearing athletics with good rubber soles, and so would I if I put grippy rubber soles on my boots. But yeah, didn't do a comparison on the clock. 

Equanimous

3 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

Hi Palewolf,  you can get a better look at these shoes at pearlfeet.com ,

49 minutes ago, Major General Shagnasty said:

Hi Palewolf,  you can get a better look at these shoes at pearlfeet.com ,

Thanks.
I found them on a few sites under various descriptions & prices.

The ROC is taking a hard look at that particular style.

9 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

I'll stick with my original position that footwear does affect performance, which is what this discussion has morphed into.  A competitive advantage is gained by wearing more lightweight and responsive footwear than cowboy boots.   (It's why the SHB prohibits athletic shoes.) 

As I commented several rounds ago, we just need to agree to disagree.   UBUIBME.   

And BTW,  I certainly can broad jump well in excess of 9 feet, albeit, not from a standing start any more-- probably only 6 or 7 feet from standing.  (and NO, I can't do it in my cowboy boots.) 

Have a great evening. 

Make healthy choices everyone.  

9 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

SHB Page 2

SASS puts a great deal of emphasis on costuming because it adds so much to the uniqueness of the game and helps to create a festive, informal atmosphere that supports the friendly, fraternal feeling we encourage in our competitors.

Dale, please stop digging.  We've had this conversation before.  I'm certainly not trying to be rude to you, but come on.  You've called the guy who wrote the book on improving performance in CAS 'uninformed' and now you're making statements about why things are in the SHB when you have no idea why they are there.  I've lost track of how many times you've made statements about the rules that were 180 degrees wrong.  

Please tell us where in the SHB it says that athletic shoes are prohibited because they give a competitive advantage!  Please, give us the page number and the quote.  You can't because like many things you post here on the Wire you pulled that out of your @#$.

On 3/20/2020 at 3:56 AM, Ruby Redsmoke said:

I was told that shoes similar to the pics attached are SASS legal and have been sold at EoT, can anyone advise if this is true?

Thank you in advance.

Valstone moc 1 sm.jpgValstone moc 2 sm.jpg

ROC RULING:

NOT LEGAL FOOTWEAR.

It has a number of "non-period" features which are precluded under the rule:

...all clothing must be typical of the late 19th century, a B-Western movie, or Western television series.

SHB p.2

Regarding accommodating folks with "foot issues",

There are literally a hundred choices that will do a better job of looking the part. 

Archived