SASS Wire Forum

Are these shoes legal?

Ruby Redsmoke

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

Logo.

Which doesn't matter. Manufacturers logos are fine.

(Manufacturer’s labels on such apparel or equipment are acceptable)

OP, my guess is those are ok for every category except BWestern and Classic. That's just a guess though.

Cannot see clearly in the photo.  Is that a mini lug sole?  (Enhanced grip)? It sure isn't a flat sole-- or a "cowboy boot".  More like a moccassin.   For a mounted cowboy (most were mounted, I believe) to wear it, absent a pronounced heel, would be a foot-through-the-stirrup accident waiting to happen.  Also looks like quite a competitive weight/flexibility advantage in stages that require movement. 

If it's legal, it won't take long for CAS' looks to change, one inch at a time.  JMHO. 

QUOTE:

“I was told that shoes similar to the pics attached are SASS legal and have been sold at EoT, can anyone advise if this is true?

Thank you in advance.”-

——————————-

Awww, why not.  They look enough like moccasins to BE moccasins.  

Enough exceptions are made in this game, that it upsets me at times. These shoes/moccasins will be just fine.  If anyone calls you out on them, tell them go  away, that you are going to pick out other discrepancies, on other people, and complain about them.  Nothing is going you happen if you wear these moccasins.

Cat Brules

33 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Cannot see clearly in the photo.  Is that a mini lug sole?  (Enhanced grip)? It sure isn't a flat sole-- or a "cowboy boot".  More like a moccasin.   

FWIW - Lug soles and moccasins are allowed in all categories except "Classic" & "B-Western".

I'd have to get a few more "official" opinions regarding the legality of this specific style, though.

Those are nice looking shoes and they look "comfy".  No one in our area would ever question you for wearing these, except to find out where they could get a pair.

Whatever.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. 

No mounted cowboy or other horseman would ever wear footwear without a heel if there was an alternative.  Smooth bottom shoes are very dangerous on horseback.  CAS is either going to be "Cowboy" Action Shooting or its evolving into something else, inch by inch.  

I think I'll paint my lightweight leather and rubber athletic "moccasins" brown, put a few rawhide stitches in them for authenticity, and go for faster stage times. 

Opinions will differ, I am sure, and that's OK... 

Just now, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Whatever.

No mounted cowboy or other horseman would ever wear footwear without a heel if there was an alternative.  Smooth bottom shoes are very dangerous on horseback.  CAS is either going to be "Cowboy" Action Shooting or its evolving into something else, inch by inch.  

I think I'll paint my lightweight leather athletic "moccasins" brown, put a few rawhide stitches in them for authenticity, and go for faster stage times. 

Hate to bust your bubble, not all folks in the 19th century rode horses or were horsemen.

5 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Whatever.

I think I'll paint my lightweight leather athletic "moccasins" brown, put a few rawhide stitches in them for authenticity, and go for faster stage times. 

I didn’t realize this was authentic reenactment. Guess we need to outlaw all gun carts since nobody would have had them “back in the day”. Let’s also get rid of all short strokes, rugers, 38’s, etc

24 minutes ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

I didn’t realize this was authentic reenactment. Guess we need to outlaw all gun carts since nobody would have had them “back in the day”. Let’s also get rid of all short strokes, rugers, 38’s, etc

Don't forget about those pesky blue plastic beeping things.

Just now, Cypress Sun said:

Don't forget about those pesky blue plastic beeping things.

I am pretty sure those existed. I have an authentic one from 1873. At least that's what the seller from ebay told me and they never lie.

6 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Cannot see clearly in the photo.  Is that a mini lug sole?  (Enhanced grip)? It sure isn't a flat sole-- or a "cowboy boot".  More like a moccassin.   For a mounted cowboy (most were mounted, I believe) to wear it, absent a pronounced heel, would be a foot-through-the-stirrup accident waiting to happen.  Also looks like quite a competitive weight/flexibility advantage in stages that require movement. 

If it's legal, it won't take long for CAS' looks to change, one inch at a time.  JMHO. 

I don't think CAS is dedicated  to only what mounted cowboys would wear, here is what the Shooter's Handbook says.

Participants may choose the style of costume they wish to wear, but all clothing must be typical of the late 19th century, a B-Western movie, or Western television series.

I don't think everyone in the late 19th century rode a horse. Towns people, shopkeepers, bar tenders and the like have always been legal costumes and I highly doubt they all  wore boots (by the way boots are only required in Classic Cowboy and B-Western)

Randy

1 hour ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Whatever.

I think I'll paint my lightweight leather and rubber athletic "moccasins" brown, put a few rawhide stitches in them for authenticity, and go for faster stage times. 

I personally wouldn’t wear any SASS/CAS “outfit” without wearing boot.

I also agree in that I will only wear boots when riding horses.  As for others:  it’s a mistake if you don’t wear boots.

I am fairly critical of those who are intentionally lax, resistant, or just plain contrary to dressing the Cowboy part in SASS/CAS matches and events.  I don’t like it.  

Cat Brules

59 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Hate to bust your bubble, not all folks in the 19th century rode horses or were horsemen.

Yeah, I've read the SHB.   I guess I just thought the central theme of Cowboy Action Shooting had something to do with - - - - well----cowboys, or at least the West.  But it doesn't say that. 

I wonder if the original intent was to interpret the SHB language so broadly.  

29 minutes ago, Cat Brules said:

I personally wouldn’t wear any SASS/CAS “outfit” without wearing boot.

I also agree in that I will only wear boots when riding horses.  As for others:  it’s a mistake if you don’t wear boots.

I am fairly critical of those who are intentionally lax, resistant, or just plain contrary to dressing the Cowboy part in SASS/CAS matches and events.  I don’t like it.  

Cat Brules

Most folks don’t like my wannabe attempt at a beard either, but as long as it ain’t against the rules I’m gonna keep wearing it because what folks don’t like is irrelevant. 

11 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

SO how many Native Americans wore boots when they rode? 0.0 they learned to stay on. Barefoot or Moc's.

The indigenous folks mostly rode bareback without saddles or  stirrups.  If you look at historical photos, when they rode saddled mounts, nearly all wore boots.  So did the Mexican vaqueros.  It doesn't take a very long ride on a horse to figure out why.  

5 minutes ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

Most folks don’t like my wannabe attempt at a beard either, but as long as it ain’t against the rules I’m gonna keep wearing it because what folks don’t like is irrelevant. 

No problem with your beard.  I can't see where it affords you any shooting advantage, like the shoes in the OP are likely to do on movement stages, at least as compared to folks in trad cowboy boots.   But whatever.  The playing field doesn't necessarily need to level, does it? 

2 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

No problem with your beard.  I can't see where it affords you any shooting advantage, like the shoes in the OP are likely to do on movement stages, at least as compared to folks in trad cowboy boots.   But whatever.  The playing field doesn't necessarily need to level, does it? 

I was responding referring to the comment regarding not liking something because it don’t look right to them. Rugers don’t look right to me, nor do 97’s or shortstroked rifles, which are advantages, but also not against the rules. 

22 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Yeah, I've read the SHB.   I guess I just thought the central theme of Cowboy Action Shooting had something to do with - - - - well----cowboys, or at least the West.  But it doesn't say that. 

I wonder if the original intent was to interpret the SHB language so broadly.  

So, as long as everyone conforms to what your version of "Cowboy" is.....I guess we'll all be fine.

From the top and quick glance, they look okay, kinda like moccasins.  But from the side, and in any other color, they are basically an athletic type shoe with a suede upper.  I would vote no.  If they WERE legal and I was going to wear them, I would for sure change to leather laces, remove the colored lace holder thingie, and cover the logo with beadwork or painted designs.

Used-to-be there was a prohibition from lugged soles visible from the side.  I have seen them used by young people for a decided advantage.  I am against it unless there is a physical need.

29 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

So, as long as everyone conforms to what your version of "Cowboy" is.....I guess we'll all be fine.

Sounds good to me.   

Some of us old folks with bad Feet caused by many different illnesses and diseases,uncontrollable things like war, car wrecks, and even getting stomped by a horse, are trying to stay in the game by wearing footwear that does not hurt us.  We pay our dues and fees, we have Spirit of the Game, we love our fellow shooters, we probably don’t care much about scoresheets and buckles, and most of us will what we can to make this “game” fun for all.  But if you insist then we can all quit rather than offend you.

2 hours ago, Sawyer said:

Some of us old folks with bad Feet caused by many different illnesses and diseases,uncontrollable things like war, car wrecks, and even getting stomped by a horse, are trying to stay in the game by wearing footwear that does not hurt us.  We pay our dues and fees, we have Spirit of the Game, we love our fellow shooters, we probably don’t care much about scoresheets and buckles, and most of us will what we can to make this “game” fun for all.  But if you insist then we can all quit rather than offend you.

I've yet to get my Sawyers school certificate so we got keep you around as long as we can. Wear what you gotta and keep shooting.

17 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

I've yet to get my Sawyers school certificate so we got keep you around as long as we can...

Oh man!  Once you get one of those certificates, things will never be the same!  :D   :FlagAm:

2 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

SO how many Native Americans wore boots when they rode? 0.0 they learned to stay on. Barefoot or Moc's.

How many?  I don’t know.  All I have to go on are Hollywood movies, TV shows, and a few old photographs.  If I were an Indian (feathers) I’d likely wear some foot/leg covers of some kind, but who knows?  Let Indians do what they want (or wanted, in the past). 
I am just saying what I do, and what I suggest others do.  That’s all.

Cat Brules 

Archived