Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ruby Redsmoke

Are these shoes legal?

Recommended Posts

I was told that shoes similar to the pics attached are SASS legal and have been sold at EoT, can anyone advise if this is true?

 

Thank you in advance.

 

6A3999B5-126E-4397-BEB4-2615D8CB60C9.jpeg

E61C22B7-97DC-45DC-9FFD-8CB3FBE9D9E5.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

Logo.

Which doesn't matter. Manufacturers logos are fine.

 

(Manufacturer’s labels on such apparel or equipment are acceptable)

 

OP, my guess is those are ok for every category except BWestern and Classic. That's just a guess though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cannot see clearly in the photo.  Is that a mini lug sole?  (Enhanced grip)? It sure isn't a flat sole-- or a "cowboy boot".  More like a moccassin.   For a mounted cowboy (most were mounted, I believe) to wear it, absent a pronounced heel, would be a foot-through-the-stirrup accident waiting to happen.  Also looks like quite a competitive weight/flexibility advantage in stages that require movement. 

 If it's legal, it won't take long for CAS' looks to change, one inch at a time.  JMHO. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

QUOTE:

“I was told that shoes similar to the pics attached are SASS legal and have been sold at EoT, can anyone advise if this is true?

 

Thank you in advance.”-

——————————-

 

Awww, why not.  They look enough like moccasins to BE moccasins.  
 

Enough exceptions are made in this game, that it upsets me at times. These shoes/moccasins will be just fine.  If anyone calls you out on them, tell them go  away, that you are going to pick out other discrepancies, on other people, and complain about them.  Nothing is going you happen if you wear these moccasins.
 

Cat Brules

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Cannot see clearly in the photo.  Is that a mini lug sole?  (Enhanced grip)? It sure isn't a flat sole-- or a "cowboy boot".  More like a moccasin.   

...

 

FWIW - Lug soles and moccasins are allowed in all categories except "Classic" & "B-Western".

 

I'd have to get a few more "official" opinions regarding the legality of this specific style, though.

 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those are nice looking shoes and they look "comfy".  No one in our area would ever question you for wearing these, except to find out where they could get a pair.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

SO .... Who makes em and WHERE can you get them???

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

 

SO .... Who makes em and WHERE can you get them???

https://marketglad.com/products/pin-up-casual-comfortable-loafers

 

That's the first one that popped up when I did an image search.

Edited by Tyrel Cody

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Cool.

 

When shooting starts back, I've got my moccasins ready to go.

 

MONROE-BRN._MAIN_1_2048x2048.jpg?v=15640

Edited by Ozark Huckleberry
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Whatever.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. 

 

No mounted cowboy or other horseman would ever wear footwear without a heel if there was an alternative.  Smooth bottom shoes are very dangerous on horseback.  CAS is either going to be "Cowboy" Action Shooting or its evolving into something else, inch by inch.  

 

I think I'll paint my lightweight leather and rubber athletic "moccasins" brown, put a few rawhide stitches in them for authenticity, and go for faster stage times. 

Opinions will differ, I am sure, and that's OK... 

Edited by Dusty Devil Dale
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Whatever.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. 

 

No mounted cowboy or other horseman would ever wear footwear without a heel if there was an alternative.  Smooth bottom shoes are very dangerous on horseback.  CAS is either going to be "Cowboy" Action Shooting or its evolving into something else, inch by inch.  

 

I think I'll paint my lightweight leather athletic "moccasins" brown, put a few rawhide stitches in them for authenticity, and go for faster stage times. 

Opinions will differ, I am sure, and that's OK... 

 

Hate to bust your bubble, not all folks in the 19th century rode horses or were horsemen.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Whatever.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. 

 

No mounted cowboy or other horseman would ever wear footwear without a heel if there was an alternative.  Smooth bottom shoes are very dangerous on horseback.  CAS is either going to be "Cowboy" Action Shooting or its evolving into something else, inch by inch.  

 

I think I'll paint my lightweight leather athletic "moccasins" brown, put a few rawhide stitches in them for authenticity, and go for faster stage times. 

Opinions will differ, I am sure, and that's OK... 

I didn’t realize this was authentic reenactment. Guess we need to outlaw all gun carts since nobody would have had them “back in the day”. Let’s also get rid of all short strokes, rugers, 38’s, etc

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

I didn’t realize this was authentic reenactment. Guess we need to outlaw all gun carts since nobody would have had them “back in the day”. Let’s also get rid of all short strokes, rugers, 38’s, etc

 

Don't forget about those pesky blue plastic beeping things.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Cypress Sun said:

 

Don't forget about those pesky blue plastic beeping things.

I am pretty sure those existed. I have an authentic one from 1873. At least that's what the seller from ebay told me and they never lie.

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Cannot see clearly in the photo.  Is that a mini lug sole?  (Enhanced grip)? It sure isn't a flat sole-- or a "cowboy boot".  More like a moccassin.   For a mounted cowboy (most were mounted, I believe) to wear it, absent a pronounced heel, would be a foot-through-the-stirrup accident waiting to happen.  Also looks like quite a competitive weight/flexibility advantage in stages that require movement. 

 If it's legal, it won't take long for CAS' looks to change, one inch at a time.  JMHO. 

I don't think CAS is dedicated  to only what mounted cowboys would wear, here is what the Shooter's Handbook says.

 

Participants may choose the style of costume they wish to wear, but all clothing must be typical of the late 19th century, a B-Western movie, or Western television series.

 

I don't think everyone in the late 19th century rode a horse. Towns people, shopkeepers, bar tenders and the like have always been legal costumes and I highly doubt they all  wore boots (by the way boots are only required in Classic Cowboy and B-Western)

 

Randy

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Whatever.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. 

 

No mounted cowboy or other horseman would ever wear footwear without a heel if there was an alternative.  Smooth bottom shoes are very dangerous on horseback.  CAS is either going to be "Cowboy" Action Shooting or its evolving into something else, inch by inch.  

 

I think I'll paint my lightweight leather and rubber athletic "moccasins" brown, put a few rawhide stitches in them for authenticity, and go for faster stage times. 

Opinions will differ, I am sure, and that's OK... 

 

I personally wouldn’t wear any SASS/CAS “outfit” without wearing boot.

 

I also agree in that I will only wear boots when riding horses.  As for others:  it’s a mistake if you don’t wear boots.

 

I am fairly critical of those who are intentionally lax, resistant, or just plain contrary to dressing the Cowboy part in SASS/CAS matches and events.  I don’t like it.  


Cat Brules

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

SO how many Native Americans wore boots when they rode? 0.0 they learned to stay on. Barefoot or Moc's.

Edited by irish ike, SASS #43615
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

 

Hate to bust your bubble, not all folks in the 19th century rode horses or were horsemen.

Yeah, I've read the SHB.   I guess I just thought the central theme of Cowboy Action Shooting had something to do with - - - - well----cowboys, or at least the West.  But it doesn't say that. 

I wonder if the original intent was to interpret the SHB language so broadly.  

 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Cat Brules said:

 

I personally wouldn’t wear any SASS/CAS “outfit” without wearing boot.

 

I also agree in that I will only wear boots when riding horses.  As for others:  it’s a mistake if you don’t wear boots.

 

I am fairly critical of those who are intentionally lax, resistant, or just plain contrary to dressing the Cowboy part in SASS/CAS matches and events.  I don’t like it.  


Cat Brules

Most folks don’t like my wannabe attempt at a beard either, but as long as it ain’t against the rules I’m gonna keep wearing it because what folks don’t like is irrelevant. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

SO how many Native Americans wore boots when they rode? 0.0 they learned to stay on. Barefoot or Moc's.

The indigenous folks mostly rode bareback without saddles or  stirrups.  If you look at historical photos, when they rode saddled mounts, nearly all wore boots.  So did the Mexican vaqueros.  It doesn't take a very long ride on a horse to figure out why.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

Most folks don’t like my wannabe attempt at a beard either, but as long as it ain’t against the rules I’m gonna keep wearing it because what folks don’t like is irrelevant. 

No problem with your beard.  I can't see where it affords you any shooting advantage, like the shoes in the OP are likely to do on movement stages, at least as compared to folks in trad cowboy boots.   But whatever.  The playing field doesn't necessarily need to level, does it? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

No problem with your beard.  I can't see where it affords you any shooting advantage, like the shoes in the OP are likely to do on movement stages, at least as compared to folks in trad cowboy boots.   But whatever.  The playing field doesn't necessarily need to level, does it? 

I was responding referring to the comment regarding not liking something because it don’t look right to them. Rugers don’t look right to me, nor do 97’s or shortstroked rifles, which are advantages, but also not against the rules. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Yeah, I've read the SHB.   I guess I just thought the central theme of Cowboy Action Shooting had something to do with - - - - well----cowboys, or at least the West.  But it doesn't say that. 

I wonder if the original intent was to interpret the SHB language so broadly.  

 

 

So, as long as everyone conforms to what your version of "Cowboy" is.....I guess we'll all be fine.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the top and quick glance, they look okay, kinda like moccasins.  But from the side, and in any other color, they are basically an athletic type shoe with a suede upper.  I would vote no.  If they WERE legal and I was going to wear them, I would for sure change to leather laces, remove the colored lace holder thingie, and cover the logo with beadwork or painted designs.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Used-to-be there was a prohibition from lugged soles visible from the side.  I have seen them used by young people for a decided advantage.  I am against it unless there is a physical need.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

 

So, as long as everyone conforms to what your version of "Cowboy" is.....I guess we'll all be fine.

Sounds good to me.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Some of us old folks with bad Feet caused by many different illnesses and diseases,uncontrollable things like war, car wrecks, and even getting stomped by a horse, are trying to stay in the game by wearing footwear that does not hurt us.  We pay our dues and fees, we have Spirit of the Game, we love our fellow shooters, we probably don’t care much about scoresheets and buckles, and most of us will what we can to make this “game” fun for all.  But if you insist then we can all quit rather than offend you.

Edited by Sawyer
Left out a word
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sawyer said:

Some of us old folks with bad Feet caused by many different illnesses and diseases,uncontrollable things like war, car wrecks, and even getting stomped by a horse, are trying to stay in the game by wearing footwear that does not hurt us.  We pay our dues and fees, we have Spirit of the Game, we love our fellow shooters, we probably don’t care much about scoresheets and buckles, and most of us will what we can to make this “game” fun for all.  But if you insist then we can all quit rather than offend you.

 

I've yet to get my Sawyers school certificate so we got keep you around as long as we can. Wear what you gotta and keep shooting.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reminds me of some of those Earth Walker's that everyone was paying big $$$ for some years ago. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

...

 

I've yet to get my Sawyers school certificate so we got keep you around as long as we can...

 

Oh man!  Once you get one of those certificates, things will never be the same!  :D   :FlagAm:

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

SO how many Native Americans wore boots when they rode? 0.0 they learned to stay on. Barefoot or Moc's.


How many?  I don’t know.  All I have to go on are Hollywood movies, TV shows, and a few old photographs.  If I were an Indian (feathers) I’d likely wear some foot/leg covers of some kind, but who knows?  Let Indians do what they want (or wanted, in the past). 
I am just saying what I do, and what I suggest others do.  That’s all.

 

Cat Brules 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.