SASS Wire Forum

Given there is going to be a lot of internet shopping in the near future for many of us I thought I would post this.

If anyone has other collectables, nick knacks or baubles they like feel free to post them here for all to laugh at and judge your sanity by.

I collect and others buy for me figurines from various periods of history I have an interest in (yes military ones).

I thought these ones may be of interest to some of the Vietnam Vets out there.

You can also look at the other time periods and makers they have. I am sure these would all be available in the US somewhere to.

https://www.toysoldiers.com.au/epages/Toysoldiers.sf/en_AU/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Toysoldiers/Categories/KINGCOUNTRY/Vietnam/US

VN071L_m.jpg

VN065L_m.jpg

VN038L_m.jpg

VN005S_432_324_m.jpg

VN002L_m.jpg

I collect, or used to collect, 1:37 scale cars. They vanished in one of our cross country moves. I only had 5 of them as 1:37 is definitely not something you find everyday. My wife kind of laughs at me when I see die cast cars on display and I go to work searching for any 1:37 sized cars. 
Since they vanished I have kind of lost interest. 

@Major Crimes,

Gosh, your collection looks more realistic than mine...

s-l400.jpg.bb95c91b3eaa9951b32292cbf191a7ce.jpg

I collect slide rules. Always wanted to know how they worked and one day at the library I found a book by Issac Asimov titled An Easy Introduction to the Slide Rule. After the third renewal the librarian asked me if I wanted to buy the book as I was the only person to check in out in over 5 years. Still have the book.

10 to 20 years ago used to see a lot of them at flea markets and thrift stores. In the last 7 years I don't think I have seen a single one.

I am still looking for a Cleveland Institute of Electronics text book that still has the section about slide rules in it.  Occasionally I find a copy for sale but it is out of my price range.

The reason for the text book is that Pickett made a special slide rule just for the school. On the front it has the standard scales. But on the back has rather unique scales

https://stevenjohnson.com/cardboard/images/pickett-n-515-t.jpg

I have a few metal soldiers to represent things like the revolution so my children don't forget or the alamo since I was born in Texas.   I have a Vietnam war soldier since my father was there.  I want a desert storm soldier but never found one

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I collect slide rules. Always wanted to know how they worked and one day at the library I found a book by Issac Asimov titled An Easy Introduction to the Slide Rule. After the third renewal the librarian asked me if I wanted to buy the book as I was the only person to check in out in over 5 years. Still have the book.

10 to 20 years ago used to see a lot of them at flea markets and thrift stores. In the last 7 years I don't think I have seen a single one.

I am still looking for a Cleveland Institute of Electronics text book that still has the section about slide rules in it.  Occasionally I find a copy for sale but it is out of my price range.

The reason for the text book is that Pickett made a special slide rule just for the school. On the front it has the standard scales. But on the back has rather unique scales

I've got two - both K&E.  One was my Dad's, and probably dates to the late '50's or early 60's; the other I bought in high school - probably around '67.  Now if I can just find the box.......

LL

5 hours ago, Major Crimes said:

If anyone has other collectables, nick knacks or baubles they like feel free to post them here for all to laugh at and judge your sanity by.

Well, if that's what we're judging, I'll plead guilty right now.

Obviously I have the models I build. I'm hoping to do some work one one this weekend. Beyond the ones I have built, I have roughly 100 unbuilt kits, and I always need to fight the urge to buy more. I think I have shown a picture or two here in the past, but here are a few more.

1884116429_FirebirdA.JPG.b8ad8aaccaebeee08196ea8191e75ad1.JPGIMG_0056.JPG.60e73faaabd8416bf7fbdbd66f70c0dd.JPGIMG_0461.JPG.07f79b55ef615c7d8479f45416a54ac3.JPG

Beyond that, if I see a Hot Wheels car I like, I'll pick it up. As often as not, I end up opening up one or two to help put a kid at ease during an office interview as a Guardian ad Litem. I have a number of them though that are unopened.

Other than that, since everyone tends to get me coffee mugs, certain ones I simply keep on display in my basement (I really don't care for the term 'man cave' for some reason)

In my office I keep a number of cameras my father gave me. He has more at his house still that I need to pick up at some point. Despite my differences with my dad, he did instill an appreciation of photography and cameras in me. At some point, I still want to get a reasonable DSLR to replace my K1000 sitting top left in the photo below.

IMG_1005.JPG.0dc5004b66503644ad9857401299f46f.JPG

As many of you already know, I have a large (>5,000) collection of 15mm WW2 and Napoleonic soldier figurines.  However just recently, I decided my 15mm Napoleonic Russian soldiers needed some spiritual encouragement.  So I ordered a few 15mm Orthodox figures to add to my Russian army.  I asked for Subdeacon Joe's advice on the colors I should paint them and what the figures were.  Here is the result.

Priest in front, with two deacons in yellow vestments flanking the priest, and two monks praying in the rear.

cUJavl.jpg

GXRpUJ.jpg

xHP2Jt.jpg

I called the Priest "Father Joseph."   Subdeacon Joe sent me the name "Joseph" in Russian and I put the name on the rear of the stand.

zKV8Ux.jpg

Thanks again Subdeacon Joe for your help!

Here are some of my 15mm Russians in battle on my 8'x6' battlefield table.  Each figure represents 20 men, or a 1:20 ratio.

MBLKwf.jpg

GHvsOv.jpg

Now some 15mm WW2 Russian Soviets going into battle with some encouragement from one of the Commissars.  Ratio is 1:1.

5FhzcJ.jpg

BdEUtE.jpg

IZAs9Y.jpg

^_^

9 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I have mine from my college days (1959- 65) somewhere with all my school memorabilia. Used it for work until about 1980. Kids today do NOT know what a slide rule is.

I have an old slide rule from many moons ago.  Still has the leather case.  It's one of the high dollar ones that were made from bamboo wood instead of plastic.  It's laying around here somewhere.  I showed it to some recently-graduated mechanical engineers where I work, and they didn't have the foggiest clue what they were looking at.

Slide rules with profession-dedicated scales were available way back when.  When I was in Forestry school back in the 70's, one of my instructors had a slide rule that calculated board feet of wood, cubic feet for pulp wood, ribbon for plywood, and several other industry specific calculations.  Pretty cool stuff.

Various figures collected over the years.  The military figures and shotgun toting cowboy were purchased last year in San Antonio at the Kings X store in the Menger Hotel.   The Custer trio was purchased at a small shop in Knightsbridge 20 years ago, or so.  That had to be trimmed, put together and painted.  The mounted troops are Britains, I believe.

20200320_132853.jpg

I used to have a whole crapload of original Star Wars figures and vehicles as a kid back in the early 1980s. Then I made the mistake of leaving them stored at home when I left, and my dad threw them all away. I can't imagine what they'd be worth if I still had them. :(

2 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

As many of you already know, I have a large (>5,000) collection of 15mm WW2 and Napoleonic soldier figurines.  However just recently, I decided my 15mm Napoleonic Russian soldiers needed some spiritual encouragement.  So I ordered a few 15mm Orthodox figures to add to my Russian army.  I asked for Subdeacon Joe's advice on the colors I should paint them and what the figures were.  Here is the result........

Just WONDERFUL!!!

i can only imagine the work that went into all those individual pieces.  Just saying, “good work!” doesn’t come close!

Cat Brules 

20 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

SD, I get you may mean you want the book as a collectors item but someone has posted the 4 parts of the manual for the Slide Rule on line if you want that

"Thanks to Mr. Joe Hernandez (KN2A), the entire set of four manuals for the Cleveland Institute of Electronics' 515-T Slide Rule are now available online! Joe bought the manuals and slide rule on eBay as a set, and he was kind enough to scan the manuals and send them to me for posting on RF Cafe. Since posting a photo of my personal N-515-T slide rules and the partial user's manual I found a few years ago, I have received many requests for the manuals."

http://www.rfcafe.com/references/electrical/Cleveland-Institute-515-T-Slide-Rule-Manuals.htm

I wonder if there are any places around, (once this virus "stuff" is over), where I might donate a bunch of old GI Joe, Star Wars, and Transformers figures and accoutrement from the '70s and 80's... that's been in my attic for a long, long, time.

(Somewhere where kids would actually play with them, rather than just dropping them off at Goodwill).

Check out anything Marx O-27 scale and / or Plasticville (and similar toys) and you'll see my second most expensive hobby. 

Benchwork started this week on a layout which will someday be sold  way under value or thrown away by my children and grand children.

2 hours ago, McCandless said:

I wonder if there are any places around, (once this virus "stuff" is over), where I might donate a bunch of old GI Joe, Star Wars, and Transformers figures and accoutrement from the '70s and 80's... that's been in my attic for a long, long, time.

(Somewhere where kids would actually play with them, rather than just dropping them off at Goodwill).

Day care centers or churches might be a place to start.  Before we moved, we donated a bunch of stuff to a resale shop connected to a local church.   You get the tax write off, if any, and the store sells the items and the church benefits.

On 3/20/2020 at 1:00 PM, Cat Brules said:

Just WONDERFUL!!!

i can only imagine the work that went into all those individual pieces.  Just saying, “good work!” doesn’t come close!

Cat Brules 

Thanks, Cat.  I tell people who come to my house and see my collection that it took me a whole weekend to paint them all. 

Actually, I've been at it since 1982. ^_^

Like all hobbies, it takes the mind off the serious side of life and allows one to dwell of more enjoyable things.  Personal eye candy too!

And fun games also!!

Archived