SASS Wire Forum

How will you occupy yourself during the match hiatus?

Dusty Devil Dale

2 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

I have occupied my time doing absolutely NOTHING.  Well, some reading.  A little cooking.  Reducing the world supply of Dark Chocolate.

That's quite a service!   My wife has been working on that one too.  She buys dark chocolate M&Ms by the 25# bag, over the Internet.  But her all-time favorite is the "Special Dark Chocolate Truffles" I get for her every year from Sees Candies.  They are heart shaped, and Sees only has them for a month leading up to Valentines Day.  They're unbelievably good.  Last February, I bought her 10#-- enough to last her (in the fridge) untill next year.  Somehow she eats all that chocolate and never deviates from her 105 pounds. I wish I could do that.  

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/24/2020 at 7:49 PM, T-Square said:

I'll be learning to reload

rl550c-reloader_t.jpg

I've heard it said, "If there ain't no picture, it didn't happen" - so here ya go....

I'm one step closer to nirvana. The RL550C is assembled, I've run a few empty rounds, now I need Yoda (or equivalent) to come to my house, break the Government's hold on our society, and check my work......

dillion.jpg

10 hours ago, T-Square said:

I've heard it said, "If there ain't no picture, it didn't happen" - so here ya go....

I'm one step closer to nirvana. The RL550C is assembled, I've run a few empty rounds, now I need Yoda (or equivalent) to come to my house, break the Government's hold on our society, and check my work......

dillion.jpg

Is that. your reloading room T-Square?  Where's the mess?  If I can help give me a call.

I was admitted to Royal University Hospital in Saskatoon March 6/20 to get my blood counts where they need to be for a stem cell transplant.  On March 9 they suspended all visitors including immediate family so here I sit bored out of my skull waiting for my blood counts to recover so they can start the stem cell procedure.  Looks like I'm here cut off from the world for at least another 6 weeks.

Grey Beard     

29 minutes ago, Grey Beard said:

I was admitted to Royal University Hospital in Saskatoon March 6/20 to get my blood counts where they need to be for a stem cell transplant.  On March 9 they suspended all visitors including immediate family so here I sit bored out of my skull waiting for my blood counts to recover so they can start the stem cell procedure.  Looks like I'm here cut off from the world for at least another 6 weeks.

Grey Beard     

I hope you can tolerate the boredom, but more importantly, I hope you procedure goes well.  Best of luck to you! 

9 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Is that. your reloading room T-Square?  Where's the mess?  If I can help give me a call.

What mess ? I bought a Craftsmen workbench that cost more than the dillion. I'll try and keep it clean and organized with all those drawers ! I have 25 lbs of holy black powder, 1000 lead balls, 5000 number ten caps, and 5000 small pistol primers inside these metal drawers. At the end of times, I'll be pushing that thing into battle !

12 minutes ago, T-Square said:

What mess ? I bought a Craftsmen workbench that cost more than the dillion. I'll try and keep it clean and organized with all those drawers ! I have 25 lbs of holy black powder, 1000 lead balls, 5000 number ten caps, and 5000 small pistol primers inside these metal drawers. At the end of times, I'll be pushing that thing into battle !

Lightweight...

:P:lol::lol::lol:

45 minutes ago, T-Square said:

Before long you’ll be hoarding! I like to keep about 8 months worth loaded and at least a year of fixins.

25 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Before long you’ll be hoarding! I like to keep about 8 months worth loaded and at least a year of fixins.

Agree.  There's no substitute for not having to load ammo a day or two before a match.  Whenever I try to do anything under a time clock (including shooting), Murphy seems to find me.  The guy is amazingly intuitive! 

Well...... I've got Corona time to search the web for good deals....

I've been buying in bulk, so 5000 caps will last me at least one year.

I only get to shoot twice a month, if I'm lucky.

I don't consider it hoarding.  It's more like, saving for a rainy day.  T-Square, if you have any questions, I'll be glad to help if I can.  I seem to have lots of time on my hands lately.

IMG_2486.thumb.JPG.93ee7b94adba552849871041dd337dc1.JPG

On 4/2/2020 at 10:08 AM, Wade Fargo said:

Last Saturday I went to one of the local essential businesses and acquired something from my wish list, a CZ 75 compact.

lRWOkRe.jpg

Wednesday I installed a trigger kit from a local supplier. Wood grips should arrive today.

v50IpzSl.jpg?1

Although I generally only shoot the local cowboy match and a couple more range days a month the lack of that outlet is getting expensive. After I switched out the grips on the CZ a Rock Island 1911 double stack 10 mm caught my attention when I was checking 10mm ammo prices and contemplating selling my 10mm ammo stockpile. It should me arriving early next week.

1 hour ago, Wade Fargo said:

v50IpzSl.jpg?1

Although I generally only shoot the local cowboy match and a couple more ranges day a month the lack of that outlet is getting expensive. After I switched out the grips on the CZ a Rock Island 1911 double stack 10 mm caught my attention when I was checking 10mm ammo prices and contemplating selling my 10mm ammo stockpile. It should me arriving early next week.

That CZ looks AWESOME! 

I was going to ask ya if you post a pic when you got them on.

Mind if I also ask where you picked those and the spring kits up at?

34 minutes ago, Hendo said:

That CZ looks AWESOME! 

I was going to ask ya if you post a pic when you got them on.

Mind if I also ask where you picked those and the spring kits up at?

I actually got those off eBay, searched for CZ 75 Compact wood grips, they’re english walnut. Hogue makes some real nice looking wood grips for the CZ 75 And 1911’s but I couldn’t find any compact stuff there. Steel handguns are where its at for me, wood grips are a must. It’s like the lays chips commercial, can’t just have one set. Boxes of grips and boxes of carry holsters. Honest, I don’t have a problem, I can stop any time I want...:D

13 hours ago, T-Square said:

Well...... I've got Corona time to search the web for good deals....

I've been buying in bulk, so 5000 caps will last me at least one year.

I only get to shoot twice a month, if I'm lucky.

Well there's the problem right there.  You're suffering from low CS levels.  You're not getting your minimum weekly dose of cowboy shooting.   Symptoms are a failure to adequately stock reloading components, a tendency to make excuses for not going to CAS matches every weekend, and binging on late night westerns.  

I prescribe a minimum of four CAS matches a month for six months.  That should get your CS levels where they need to be.

12 minutes ago, Wade Fargo said:

I actually got the those off eBay, searched for CZ 75 Compact wood grips, they’re english walnut. Hogue makes some real nice looking wood grips for the CZ 75 And 1911’s but I couldn’t find any compact stuff there. Steel handguns are where its at for me, wood grips are a must. It’s like the lays chips commercial, can’t just have one set. Boxes of grips and boxes of carry holsters. Honest, I don’t have a problem, I can stop any time I want...:D

Yeah, I gotta stay away from Fleabay these days.

And Amazon 

And Gunbroker

And Summit

And Year One

And....

:lol:

Well, I just calculated that during this time off, if I just read this post once a day for every VIEW this post has had to this point, it will take me 10 years and 59 days!

:o

RR

PS: Good seed you planted, DDD!

3 hours ago, Roger Rapid said:

Well, I just calculated that during this time off, if I just read this post once a day for every VIEW this post has had to this point, it will take me 10 years and 59 days!

:o

RR

PS: Good seed you planted, DDD!

Lots of fun and some good ideas shared in this one.  I confess, I've spent some dollars and time pursuing some of the things folks have mentioned. 

But it's still not even close to a substitute for getting together and shooting.  

The last couple of days I've been going through my collection of Pocketwatches.... 

And I'm finding some that I plum fergot I Owned...........

I've been collecting Vintage American, mostly 16 & 18 size RR Grade Pocketwatches for several decades now.

I'm pulling out a few that are Good Timekeepers, but probably Need to go to someone that will appreciate & carry em.......

So I'm getting a handful of em serviced and I'll be posting a few over in the classified in a couple of days.....

Just in case anybody would be interested in a 100 year old or more Watch to carry.....................    ( Shameless Plug :rolleyes: )

IMG_0810.thumb.jpg.0aff8ac4fc2aa6084adbce54b5703370.jpg

mine just became permanent , company decided to downsize - dont blame them in this instance , who knew the economy could be ruined so quickly ? i guess ill be looking at retirement and retirement jobs at this point , 70 year olds dont find new jobs in this climate 

One thing that I've learned from SASS is "patience".  Everything takes time....time to order equipment....time to wait on the Gunsmith.....time...time...time...

Four months ago, I knew that I would have to start reloading .38 black power. I've been shooting Frontiersmen and had a small supply of rifle ammo from a recently retired club member, but that supply would only last  a few more months.  I started to gather the necessary re-loading equipment.  I posted a photo of the RL500c and loading table a few days ago.  Today I un-boxed the Rebel 17 tumbler, followed the sass wire instructions from an earlier thread, and here are my results after 2.5 hours ....... (roaring applause)

IMG_20200411_170418.jpg

IMG_20200411_194115.jpg

On 4/10/2020 at 6:24 PM, watab kid said:

mine just became permanent , company decided to downsize - dont blame them in this instance , who knew the economy could be ruined so quickly ? i guess ill be looking at retirement and retirement jobs at this point , 70 year olds dont find new jobs in this climate 

V. sorry to hear that.  I do hope things work out OK for you.   I think things will stabilize before too long, and business will spring back, if things go right in the Nov. election.  Hopefully you will find something to your liking. 

Best of luck to you, Cowboy! 

On 3/31/2020 at 10:00 AM, Matthew Duncan said:

I going to use the time to organize the wife's kitchen...

Be very careful to completely follow her instructions.  Don't ask how I know this!

8 hours ago, Griff said:

Be very careful to completely follow her instructions.  Don't ask how I know this!

Her instructions?  Wouldn't it be better if I just surprised her?

On 4/6/2020 at 9:54 PM, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

I don't consider it hoarding.  It's more like, saving for a rainy day.  T-Square, if you have any questions, I'll be glad to help if I can.  I seem to have lots of time on my hands lately.

IMG_2486.thumb.JPG.93ee7b94adba552849871041dd337dc1.JPG

Bob - what are those catheters -  from the Dillon press to the bottom shelf of the table?

Those are tubes that feed the spent primers into the coffee cans below.  The Dillon spent primer capture system tends to let spent primers fall out and get all over the floor.  I bought an upgrade off of Ebay to capture the spent primers as the come out of the bottom of the press and they fall down that tube into the coffee can below.  No more spent primers on the floor and I only have to empty the coffee cans about once a year.

I also have quick releases on the powder measures.  No more hunting for an allen wrench to take off the powder measures.  

5 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

Those are tubes that feed the spent primers into the coffee cans below.  The Dillon spent primer capture system tends to let spent primers fall out and get all over the floor.  I bought an upgrade off of Ebay to capture the spent primers as the come out of the bottom of the press and they fall down that tube into the coffee can below.  No more spent primers on the floor and I only have to empty the coffee cans about once a year.

I also have quick releases on the powder measures.  No more hunting for an allen wrench to take off the powder measures.  

Can you post a closer picture of the QR setup on the PM?

Where did you find it?

TNX :excl:

OLG 

This is the exact one that I bought for both of my 650's.  It works great.  A little expensive but worth every penny in convenience.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Quick-Disconnect-for-Dillon-Powder-Measure-XL650-Super1050-RL550-Progressive/132883323060?hash=item1ef07698b4:g:ac8AAOSwj~RbgK2g

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the dumpster is full and that was only my shed. I did not get to the basement or garage.  

I whooped. Going back to reloading for the next 10 years!!

DSC_0864.JPG

Studied to upgrade my amateur radio license to General.  I've been off the air for 25 plus years.

Local retirement community has a amateur club that acts as a testing site.  Took the upgraded test (passed) the day before they locked down the retirement community.

Installed a inverted "V" 10 and 20 meter antenna at forty feet. 

Kenwood 520S was upgraded with a IC-7300.  Kenwood was in storage too long (receive only and unable to tune)?  Made contacts in Poland and France!

Bought a inexpensive 144/440 mobile and installed as a base.  I can "hit" the three local repeaters.

Studied online to become certified as a Skywarn watcher/reporter (passed).

Joined the County Skywarn organization and the retirement community radio club.

Applied weed and feed to the yard closest to the front of the house.  I anticipate once the weeds are killed off both blades of grass will have room to spread. 

Thinking about tearing down the '66 for cleaning...

On 4/12/2020 at 5:05 PM, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

This is the exact one that I bought for both of my 650's.  It works great.  A little expensive but worth every penny in convenience.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Quick-Disconnect-for-Dillon-Powder-Measure-XL650-Super1050-RL550-Progressive/132883323060?hash=item1ef07698b4:g:ac8AAOSwj~RbgK2g

Here is one for $15

https://www.ebay.com/itm/273567176624

Still too high.  I made my own for about 50 cents. 

On 4/12/2020 at 5:54 PM, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

okay - now you have to come over and help me upgrade my equipment - and teach me to load.......

Archived